Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)

E46 (1999 - 2006)
The fourth generation 3 Series (E46 chassis) was introduced in 1999 and set the standard for engineering and performance during it's years of production including being named to Car & Driver's 10 best list every one of those years! ! -- View the E46 Wiki

Old 03-14-2005, 06:05 PM

Mein Auto: 330 cic
Reprogramming R/T Button

I've searched the forum and found that the R/T button doesn't really do what the BMW manual says it will do, with or with out the cell phone connection. I want to know if anyone has found a way to jury rig the R/T button to do what it should of done in the first place, allow you to switch from radio to CD to phone to aux from the steering wheel.

Bumps27
Ads by Google
Old 03-14-2005, 06:47 PM
My TARDIS is a BMW

Mein Auto: '02 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by bumps27
I've searched the forum and found that the R/T button doesn't really do what the BMW manual says it will do, with or with out the cell phone connection. I want to know if anyone has found a way to jury rig the R/T button to do what it should of done in the first place, allow you to switch from radio to CD to phone to aux from the steering wheel.

Bumps27
Are you sure that you are interpretting the manual correctly? Since I don't have an integrated cell phone, I kinda glossed over that part of the manual, but IIRC, the R/T button is supposed to switch between what ever is currently in use (radio/CD/aux/whatever) to the phone and then back to that same source, and not to switch between the different modes. And without an integrated cell phone, the R/T button does nothing (as confirmed by me experimenting with all the buttons on the wheel). Having a mode switch button on the wheel would be a nice feature, though.

As for jury rigging the button to do anything other than what it current does do (even you don't think it is working correctly) requires a software change. In other words, unless you want to hack that part of the car's software or find someone else to do it, it ain't gonna happen unless BMW agrees to do it.

Old 03-14-2005, 07:13 PM
There and back again

Mein Auto: 2003 325xiT, 2006 Atom
Quote:
Originally Posted by operknockity
And without an integrated cell phone, the R/T button does nothing (as confirmed by me experimenting with all the buttons on the wheel). Having a mode switch button on the wheel would be a nice feature, though.
Well, you could have the strange configuration of having a SES module without a cell phone, which would give you voice commands for various things.
Quote:
As for jury rigging the button to do anything other than what it current does do (even you don't think it is working correctly) requires a software change. In other words, unless you want to hack that part of the car's software or find someone else to do it, it ain't gonna happen unless BMW agrees to do it.
It wouldn't be that hard to cobble something up. You'll need a PIC microcontroller and a TH3122 i-bus transceiver chip. I don't know offhand if the MODE button actually comes across the i-bus, or if the radio will respond to an i-bus MODE signal (if there is one). If you want to experiment, the place to get more information is the Yahoo! Autos HackTheIBus group.

You might also try convincing one of the folks who make i-bus gizmos (StealthOne, iWindows, BMWAccept, etc.) to add this to their product.
Old 03-14-2005, 08:13 PM
Padawan

Mein Auto: 2004 330ci Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry Kennedy
It wouldn't be that hard to cobble something up. You'll need a PIC microcontroller and a TH3122 i-bus transceiver chip. I don't know offhand if the MODE button actually comes across the i-bus, or if the radio will respond to an i-bus MODE signal (if there is one).
Sounds pretty dang complicated to me!!

--J.
2004|330ci|Convertible|Silver Grey Metallic|Sport Package|Premium Package|Steptronic|NAV|Xenon Adaptive Headlights|Heated Seats|Black Montana Leather|Aluminum Brushed Column Trim|SSR/GT3 19" Rims (original 18" Style 71's in storage)
Old 03-14-2005, 08:52 PM

Mein Auto: bmw 325ci
[QUOTE=Terry Kennedy]Well, you could have the strange configuration of having a SES module without a cell phone, which would give you voice commands for various things.

The R/T button in my 2004 325ci changes my radio display to phonebook does this mean that I have the SES module without the phone? I have been talking with my dealer and they say my car may be one of the 2004s that was set up for bluetooth but needs to have something replaced for it to work. Does this sound right? I do have a Bluetooth card but no passkey on it. Thanks!
Old 03-15-2005, 02:12 AM
Test... 1, 2 ,3

Mein Auto: 2012 M3 - 2014 528i
[QUOTE=jklevine]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry Kennedy
Well, you could have the strange configuration of having a SES module without a cell phone, which would give you voice commands for various things.

The R/T button in my 2004 325ci changes my radio display to phonebook does this mean that I have the SES module without the phone? I have been talking with my dealer and they say my car may be one of the 2004s that was set up for bluetooth but needs to have something replaced for it to work. Does this sound right? I do have a Bluetooth card but no passkey on it. Thanks!
What this means is that you have Assist, and with it the CPT9000 (Motorola V60i, non-Bluetooth) phone preparation/software present; this was an "phone feature" for Assist owners in 2004 that allowed owners to buy the CPT9000 or a regular V60i phone and integrated it with the Assist at "low cost". Thus by pressing the R/T button you will be invoking the phone command with no phone connected and PHONEBOOK will be shown.

I connected a regular V60i using the OEM cradle, took the car to the dealer to activate that Assist CPT9000 phone software section and it works pretty good, even receiving SMS.

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=70860

And still works even after retrofitting the OEM Nav...

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/attachm...id=95412&stc=1

Now...

Quote:
...and they say my car may be one of the 2004s that was set up for bluetooth but needs to have something replaced for it to work.
... unless this is some recent development in the 2004 Assist/Bluetooth saga, there is no 2004 E46 with Assist that its Bluetooth section (it seems that there always been one inside the TCU) works according to BMW.

Quote:
4. For E46/E83/E85/E53 vehicles produced between 3/2004 and 8/2004, are equipped with a TCU that does not support Bluetooth.

Please disregard the Owner's Manual insert, shown to the left, indicating Bluetooth functionality. The hardware in these vehicles will not work correctly.
http://www.bimmernav.com/pdf/BT_Pairing_05.pdf

Last edited by Technic; 03-15-2005 at 02:19 AM.