Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)

E46 (1999 - 2006)
The fourth generation 3 Series (E46 chassis) was introduced in 1999 and set the standard for engineering and performance during it's years of production including being named to Car & Driver's 10 best list every one of those years! ! -- View the E46 Wiki

Old 03-15-2005, 07:58 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2001 320Ci
Whining of a former E46 owner...

Hi, I have been the happy owner of a E46 320Ci Coupé for about 4 years (since 2001).

The E46 was a company car on which I had to pay tax. Because of heavy taxes cars are expensive here in Denmark (Scandinavia), so I was taxed about 10.000 US$ per year for the right to use the car.

A few months ago I decided it was time to save some money, so I gave up the 320Ci (only 55.000 km on the dial) and I went our and bought a Subaru Forester 2.5XT. Tax on the Forester is low, as the car is registered as a van (no rear seats).

Initially I enjoyed the Forester. The engine is quite powerful (211 BHP) and it got all the thrills (DVD Nav, Leather, Moonroof etc.).

But...

The handling, breaks and general quality - it sucks big time. The Forester will do 0-60 mph. in 6 sec. but the shift as so jerky that its no joy. Anyway, I know that the Forester was not build for this kind of driving...

I would just like to remind all of you to enjoy your wonderful BMW's - and be happy that you do not live in a place like Denmark (taxwise).

I really really miss my BMW, and I now have to live with the Subaru for the next 4 years. And worst of all - Its my own fault for trying to save money on the on thing I really enjoy

Just needed to vent a bit - sorry!

JASE
Advertisement
Old 03-15-2005, 08:01 AM
•••••••

Mein Auto: '11 1M;'08 MCS;'02 325iT
Old 03-15-2005, 08:24 AM
Nerd

Mein Auto: ist alt.
Interesting post.

My wife and I own a Subaru Forester 2.5XT and a 330i so I'm pretty familiar with your situation.

I love my Bimmer, but that Subie is really cool as well. It will absolutely smoke my 330i in acceleration. Handling? Well it's supposed to be an SUV. It's the car I take to the hardware store.

If you want to enjoy it more you just need to remember that it's an STi in disguise (same frame and it runs a detuned STi engine). Many of the STi parts are direct replacements... the first upgrade most XT owners do is slap on parts from the STi suspension to improve handling. And the stock tires are rather lousy. I agree that the shifting needs some work, though. But people are pushing 300 hp with just a reprogram of their ECU and better intake. That's a scary fast SUV.

You can have lots of fun in that car. Heck, I looked at Solo II autocross racing here in the US and the XT is the only SUV I saw that is allowed. If that wasn't enough, it's in a rather fast class and competes with the IS300 and the G35.

Plus Subaru just came out awesome in initial quality tests here in the US, getting top honors from Consumer Reports.

Remember to come back to BMW in due time, but have fun in the meantime. You didn't exactly pick a sucky car.
Old 03-15-2005, 08:41 AM

Thanks - you made me feel a lot better

Anyway, it will have to be a BMW next time. I agree, the Forester does pack and powerful punch, but it totally lacks the refinement of the BMW.

JASE
Old 03-15-2005, 11:07 AM
Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by jse
... the Forester does pack and powerful punch, but it totally lacks the refinement of the BMW.
JASE
Totally agree. And the steering feels so loose when I drive it right after the Bimmer. But oh what a rush when you hit the gas.
Old 03-15-2005, 11:17 AM

I wonder how well the Forester will cope with my driving style. I like to drive my cars hard, but I don't abuse them. Like going fast though (up to 170 km/h).

The BMW has been keeping up well. I don't know if an AWD SUV like the Forester is up to it in the long run?

No budget for an X5 - at least, not one with a "proper" engine

JASE
Old 03-15-2005, 05:59 PM
Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by jse
I wonder how well the Forester will cope with my driving style. I like to drive my cars hard, but I don't abuse them. Like going fast though (up to 170 km/h).

The BMW has been keeping up well. I don't know if an AWD SUV like the Forester is up to it in the long run?

No budget for an X5 - at least, not one with a "proper" engine

JASE
Hah, I just saw your posts about the rough shifts in the XT over on subaruforester.com.

When it snows hard, I gladly drive the XT instead of the 330. Man is that car awesome in the snow.