Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > M Series > E46 M3 (2001-2006)

E46 M3 (2001-2006)

Old 04-03-2005, 10:46 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: X3
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyMike
I'll try to overlook the fact you bypassed protocol and didn't wait until I had ordered mine
So what are you gonna do? ZCP car in Interlagos with Cinnamon, right? Loaded (except for SMG)?

PCD is tempting, but now I live 3,000 miles away...
BMW CCA #115780
'14 X3 35i M sport
Old 04-03-2005, 05:04 PM
Lost

Mein Auto: 2003 M5
Quote:
Originally Posted by LMC
So what are you gonna do? ZCP car in Interlagos with Cinnamon, right? Loaded (except for SMG)?

You better not get yours first MIKE!!
Old 04-03-2005, 06:21 PM
Elected by grace

Mein Auto: 1 M; '11 328iT; 08 R32
Quote:
Originally Posted by LMC
The deal is 1500 under list -- not great, but I caved early as I didn't want to travel to buy and I like the local (small) dealership overall. I would hope you can beat that price.

Don't wait too long to order! (When are they gonna stop making 'em really?) Actually, they do not have an allocation for me, so my "order" isn't really an order yet.

Larry
Well, I have zero loyalty to my local dealership because it's pretty much MSRP or nothing with them. And I really don't need a loaner (they have a shuttle and I don't work too far from there), nor the free weekend car washes. They do tolerable service work, and have never given me grief when trying to schedule an appointment for either warranty work or the free scheduled maintenance despite the fact I've never bought from them. It's an ideal arrangement where the service side of the house is totally separate from sales, so the SM's treat you with the same respect as their buying customers. Heck, I'd love to give them my business, but I refuse to be reamed in the process.

And I don't mind revealing that if this thing goes down it will first be through Sarafil. Like Shafer, Adrian and Ted, he's added so much to this community, and it's a way of saying thank you for those contributions. I almost bought my cab through Shafer, but unfortunately he didn't have any allocations left for the time frame I was looking at.

Anyway, we both are convinced that there will be a limited run of M's in 06 and I would prefer to buy during the last model year of the E46 derivative.

What's the most likely month that they will have an allocation for you?
Old 04-03-2005, 06:24 PM
Elected by grace

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMC
Link to Sterling Gray metallic/Imola Red leather M3 on roadfly. BBS RG-Rs in 19-inch and lowered quite a bit, I think.

http://bimmer.roadfly.org/bmw/forums...6410789-2.html
Yeah, I've seen several pics of Sterling gray on an M3 and they are all quite striking. It reminds me a lot of my Pewter metallic Porsche 944, which also had aftermarket BBS type rims. The Imola interior will really provide a nice contrast to the Sterling exterior.

I say go for it!
Old 04-03-2005, 06:46 PM
Elected by grace

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMC

Yeah, my heart's set on IB/Cinnamon, but as as it may sound I still have visions of Ruby red II with Caramel dancing in my head. I don't even know if its remotely possible, but I can't shake the thoughts from my cranium. I think I need to get over it and kiss that idea good-bye.

As of for the rest of it, kind of mid-range on the options; ZCP, power seats with bun warmers, moonroof, Zenon's and HK. I'm still kicking around the lumbar. I'm kind of average size, 5' 10", 165 pds., so I don't think I'm going to really need it.

And, 3,000 miles is definitely a reach for you left coasters. Fortunately it's only about 500 miles from Indy, and we are probably planning on vacationing not too far from there (Asheville, NC), so it would coincide with that very nicely. I'm just hoping that there isn't an early snowfall in late October. I don't fancy sliding around the Smokies with those big meats.
Old 04-03-2005, 07:04 PM
Elected by grace

Quote:
Originally Posted by TD330ci
You better not get yours first MIKE!!
Well, I think you're safe for the time being. I can't even think about pulling the trigger until I sell the sedan first. I'm having too kick-butt a time driving it, and no way do I want to go very long between my stick fixes.

Besides, although I am absolutely convinced that Christ is the way, the truth and the life for me I don't have the same convictions about IB/Cinnamon which is why I will graciously let you go ahead of me.

Just kidding. I think it'll be aces!
Old 04-03-2005, 07:32 PM

Mein Auto: Jet Black M3 ZCP
Quote:
Originally Posted by LMC
Ordered E46 M3 today -- actually not quite an order yet as need to figure out which week, etc.

The dealership checked and determined that I could indeed order Sterling Gray metallic, but in the end I decided I did not want to spend that much money for it, so:

M3 coupe
Silver Gray metallic
Imola Red leather
Moonroof, power/heated seats with pwr width/lumbar, H-K audio, xenons.

I also seriously considered ordering black leather/cloth but after taking a hard look at it, decided to go with leather. I would prefer to sit on cloth, but was unimpressed with the appearance of the cloth and also prefer the two-tone effect with the Black & Imola Red interior.

I also spoke to the LeatherZ guys about doing red leather trim in a black interior; basically getting titan shadow and they cover all the pieces with red leather, a la Mrs. Hack's 323Ci. Pretty cool interior, in my opinion.

My opinion on SMG: It does a better job shifting that I can do and it's got some neat features, but I want to do it myself (for fun) even if I'm not as good. Plus I don't want park distance control and I don't want to pay that much more money.

Quoth LMC back when the E46 M3 was coming out: "Nope, don't want one of those; Too much power, too much money, too much fuel consumption. Not for me." Then recently I found myself obssessing over the new Porsche 911 and reconsidered the M3 as a less expensive, more utilitarian (i.e, more usable back seat) alternative.

I hope I can keep my drivers license once it gets here.
Congratulations, Imola interior is going to look awsome. You will have a beautiful car. I went through the same thing about the new Porsche. It's fast and sweet but expensive and in the 1st year of production. The M3 represents an excellent value in a GT sports coupe.
Old 04-03-2005, 07:54 PM

Mein Auto: Jet Black M3 ZCP
[QUOTE=IndyMike] or is it trade bait?

OMG,YSF, LMAO
Old 04-04-2005, 04:47 PM
Elected by grace

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMC
Link to Sterling Gray metallic/Imola Red leather M3 on roadfly. BBS RG-Rs in 19-inch and lowered quite a bit, I think.

http://bimmer.roadfly.org/bmw/forums...6410789-2.html
Yeah, I'd definitely say that puppy's been slammed. I bet you can't go over a freakin' pebble without rubbing some part of the vehicle on it. And whatever you do LMC, please, oh please don't wreck it by putting one of those awful looking ACS replica front spoilers on it.
Old 04-13-2005, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Yeah, my heart's set on IB/Cinnamon, but as as it may sound I still have visions of Ruby red II with Caramel dancing in my head. I don't even know if its remotely possible, but I can't shake the thoughts from my cranium. I think I need to get over it and kiss that idea good-bye.

As of for the rest of it, kind of mid-range on the options; ZCP, power seats with bun warmers, moonroof, Zenon's and HK. I'm still kicking around the lumbar. I'm kind of average size, 5' 10", 165 pds., so I don't think I'm going to really need it.
Hey, IndyMike, I was playing with numbers today and looking at Individual cars...
that is an exceedingly dangerous thing to do!

Here's your car: '05 M3 Coupe (I know, but we'll assume no price increase for '06)
ZCP, power seats with heaters, moonroof, xenon, H-K audio, Rubinrot (1820 wholesale/2000 retail) and Caramel (3530 wholesale/3880 retail):
Invoice $ 57,345
Retail $62,795 + tax title & license
Ya gotta pay to play! I dunno... Interlagos is kinda pretty and Cinnamon's pretty nice, too!
Or pick just one: Interlagos/caramel or Ruby Red/Cinnamon

I found a couple of pics of bicolor M3 interior (Black with Imola Red inserts and Black with Estoril Blue inserts.) Very nice, indeed. But BMWNA apparently charges the same $3880 for bicolor, even though the interior has no actual Individual colors in it. Tempting, but I just can't see paying that much more.

I'm hoping for a July allocation. If it slips to August my spec order color may be in jeopardy...
BMW CCA #115780
'14 X3 35i M sport
Old 04-14-2005, 04:59 AM

Mein Auto: 04 M3 SG/Imola/PP/Xenon
Take it from me...you'll love the Silver Gray/Imola. The alum trim really finishes it off nicely though. I had originally had the HK sound, but deleted it as it was not worth the extra $ I decided. One thing you may find once you get it is that doing the red leather armrests may be a bit too much red inside...I'd like to get a Leatherz shift boot also and am thinking of going black leather 3/4s and 1/4 imola w/the "M" stitching. I think that will look nice...
Old 04-14-2005, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbo38sfi
Take it from me...you'll love the Silver Gray/Imola. The alum trim really finishes it off nicely though. I had originally had the HK sound, but deleted it as it was not worth the extra $ I decided. One thing you may find once you get it is that doing the red leather armrests may be a bit too much red inside...I'd like to get a Leatherz shift boot also and am thinking of going black leather 3/4s and 1/4 imola w/the "M" stitching. I think that will look nice...
Silver Gray is my fallback now; I'm hoping the spec order for Sterling Gray comes through.

Yeah, the possbilities for unique interior touches are limitless. Sooner or later, though, the wallet will say "Stop! Enough already!"
BMW CCA #115780
'14 X3 35i M sport
Old 04-14-2005, 09:44 AM

Mein Auto: e46 M3
I'd consider trading my front door panels in Black for Front door panels in Red, thus helping toning down the "too-much red" syndrome of the Imola interior, and allowing a bit more pizazz with the black interior. Must be as new of course like.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMC
Silver Gray is my fallback now; I'm hoping the spec order for Sterling Gray comes through.

Yeah, the possbilities for unique interior touches are limitless. Sooner or later, though, the wallet will say "Stop! Enough already!"
Old 04-14-2005, 11:17 AM
Lost

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMC

Are both those available for the M without an upcharge? Or do they require the extra 2K?

BTW I saw a brand new Silver Gray comp pkg without plates in Tiburon yesterday. VERY understated but classy. Matches the color of the rims almost and flys under the radar for sure. It had Imola interior to spice it up a little though.

Waiting Waiting!!!! Ugh two more months!!
Old 04-14-2005, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TD330ci
Are both those available for the M without an upcharge? Or do they require the extra 2K?

BTW I saw a brand new Silver Gray comp pkg without plates in Tiburon yesterday. VERY understated but classy. Matches the color of the rims almost and flys under the radar for sure. It had Imola interior to spice it up a little though.

Waiting Waiting!!!! Ugh two more months!!
Silver gray costs the metallic paint charge and Sterling does indeed require two big ones.

Two more months, huh? I'd KILL for only two more months!

Edit: I very distinctly remember the pain of the wait for my '98 M3. The last month or so is the worst, so I really sympathize. My wife worked in the medical field; when she noticed that I was getting a little wierd near the end, I told her it was "M3-itis." The only known cure is to take delivery. And the other thing is that I'd swear that waiting for the other 3 new non-M BMWs I've bought has not been nearly as bad. Yep, that ///M is special!
BMW CCA #115780
'14 X3 35i M sport

Last edited by LMC; 04-14-2005 at 12:27 PM.
Old 04-14-2005, 12:49 PM
Hated by hater haters

Mein Auto: 09 MINI JCW
Went by the dealer his afternoon. My M3 has been released by the Spartenburg VPC for trucking to St. Louis. If I'm lucky it'll arrive late tomorrow for a Saturday afternoon delivery.

I also got my new TomTom GO Plus GPS Nav yesterday, so I am ready to rock n roll.

Yeeehaaaa!!!!
Old 04-14-2005, 01:04 PM
Lost

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwette
Went by the dealer his afternoon. My M3 has been released by the Spartenburg VPC for trucking to St. Louis. If I'm lucky it'll arrive late tomorrow for a Saturday afternoon delivery.

I also got my new TomTom GO Plus GPS Nav yesterday, so I am ready to rock n roll.

Yeeehaaaa!!!!
WOHOOOO!!! Lucky You.
Old 04-14-2005, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwette

Yeeehaaaa!!!!
Great news, Dean! Just days to go!

I suppose you have not heard about the new Expedited Delivery Program (not available yet in all areas) where they strap the car to a pallet and shove it out the cargo door of a plane 10,000 ft above your house with parachutes... expensive, but you get it sooner. I'm considering it...
BMW CCA #115780
'14 X3 35i M sport
Old 04-14-2005, 05:46 PM
Hated by hater haters

Mein Auto: 09 MINI JCW
Quote:
Originally Posted by LMC
Great news, Dean! Just days to go!

I suppose you have not heard about the new Expedited Delivery Program (not available yet in all areas) where they strap the car to a pallet and shove it out the cargo door of a plane 10,000 ft above your house with parachutes... expensive, but you get it sooner. I'm considering it...
The drop-shipping won't do. I'm depending on the dealer to install my UGDO and M Pedals for me. Besides, it would scare my wife.
Old 04-17-2005, 09:30 AM
Elected by grace

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMC
Hey, IndyMike, I was playing with numbers today and looking at Individual cars...
that is an exceedingly dangerous thing to do!

Here's your car: '05 M3 Coupe (I know, but we'll assume no price increase for '06)
ZCP, power seats with heaters, moonroof, xenon, H-K audio, Rubinrot (1820 wholesale/2000 retail) and Caramel (3530 wholesale/3880 retail):
Invoice $ 57,345
Retail $62,795 + tax title & license
Ya gotta pay to play! I dunno... Interlagos is kinda pretty and Cinnamon's pretty nice, too!
Or pick just one: Interlagos/caramel or Ruby Red/Cinnamon

I found a couple of pics of bicolor M3 interior (Black with Imola Red inserts and Black with Estoril Blue inserts.) Very nice, indeed. But BMWNA apparently charges the same $3880 for bicolor, even though the interior has no actual Individual colors in it. Tempting, but I just can't see paying that much more.

I'm hoping for a July allocation. If it slips to August my spec order color may be in jeopardy...
What, you mean all of that for ONLY $62,795 +TTL? "Honey, where's my little moneyclip?" I hope they'll take cash!

Ah, unfortunately that's a little too rich for my blood.

For kicks and grins I just threw that number by 'the warden'. She came back with "that's like 200 Coach bags!" I said, "Huh, how can anyone compare any purse, even a freakin' Coach purse (whatever that is ) to an M3? Besides, what maroon would want or need more than one Coach purse?" She then escaped my cell, but only to return (unfortunately) shortly thereafter with the two that she has. It was then that I seemed to be in some bit of trouble, so I immediately opened my mouth (somehow managing to shuffle both my feet in it) and stated that it was merely a rhetorical question, and besides "what ultra-maroon would need more than two Coach bags? Again, another rhetorical question" (in case she another one stashed away somewhere).

So now I am sure that I will be restricted to bread and water and sleeping on the couch for the next week or so.

At this point I don't think I could get a Kia let alone an M3.

So let's just say I am over Ruby red, or any other individual bits, for the time being.

Thanks for bringing those numbers up, Larry!

Old 04-17-2005, 10:13 AM

Mein Auto: e46 M3
You must have done well in your "creative writing" class!

Quote:
For kicks and grins I just threw that number by 'the warden'.
Old 04-17-2005, 12:09 PM

Quote:
What, you mean all of that for ONLY $62,795 +TTL? "Honey, where's my little moneyclip?" I hope they'll take cash!

Ah, unfortunately that's a little too rich for my blood.

For kicks and grins I just threw that number by 'the warden'. She came back with "that's like 200 Coach bags!" I said, "Huh, how can anyone compare any purse, even a freakin' Coach purse (whatever that is ) to an M3? Besides, what maroon would want or need more than one Coach purse?" She then escaped my cell, but only to return (unfortunately) shortly thereafter with the two that she has. It was then that I seemed to be in some bit of trouble, so I immediately opened my mouth (somehow managing to shuffle both my feet in it) and stated that it was merely a rhetorical question, and besides "what ultra-maroon would need more than two Coach bags? Again, another rhetorical question" (in case she another one stashed away somewhere).

So now I am sure that I will be restricted to bread and water and sleeping on the couch for the next week or so.

At this point I don't think I could get a Kia let alone an M3.

So let's just say I am over Ruby red, or any other individual bits, for the time being.

Thanks for bringing those numbers up, Larry!

Happy to oblige, Mike! Just in case there is still a feather or two ruffled, how 'bout shooting me your wife's email address, OK? And I'll fix everything real good,
BMW CCA #115780
'14 X3 35i M sport
Old 04-17-2005, 05:06 PM
Elected by grace

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMC
Happy to oblige, Mike! Just in case there is still a feather or two ruffled, how 'bout shooting me your wife's email address, OK? And I'll fix everything real good,
Gee, could ya and would ya, coach? But first give me a chance to hide her cache of automatic weapons, bandaliers of ammo, crossbow, favorite husband gutting knife and shovel. Wouldn't want to make it too easy on her, you know (I learned a little from the last time)! And if you don't hear from me some time within the next week or two, be a pal and put out an 'IndyMike alert' to the local authorities here. Alternatively, be very suspicious and take special notice if you hear stories of a 'grieving' Indiana widow who croaked her hubbie in a tragic accidental shooting incident (body was peppered with 62,795 holes) purchasing 200 Coach purses in a single shopping excursion while laughing hysterically and intermittently mumbling, "what maroon would want more than one Coach purse, indeed".

The warden is not without her eccentricities!

Old 05-06-2005, 08:40 AM

Send a message via ICQ to otacon
Mein Auto: 330i ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by LMC
The spoiler doesn't do much for me, either, I admit -- but since it can just be pulled off and then sold on eBay for a few bucks, I figured I'd let it come, then decide.
Do you know if the spoiler can be cleanly removed? IE, did they paint the car with it attached, or afterwards. I don't want a black line across the back of my trunk. Tho I had your idea of getting it, then selling it on ebay.
S.Grey/Black|Xenon|Heated Seats|Moon Roof|HK|Power Seats|Lumbar|Rear Shade|PDC|Titan Shadow Trim|NAV|AUX|CSL Wheels|Alpine 6 disc MP3 changer|Euro Fire extinguisher|Euro medkit|DDE|OEM CSL Bootlid|UUC Evo3 SSK|Vorsteiner CSL Diffuser

E46 330i ZHP - Mods so far:
GruppeM CAI|DDE|Euro Clears|BMW Bluetooth kit||UUC StrutBarbarian|BMW TV module|ACS Roof Spoiler|BMW Euro Clubsport splitters|Illuminated Door Sills|Euro Med Kit|Euro Fire Extinguisher|SPP 9006(55W) Fogs
Old 05-06-2005, 08:42 AM

Mein Auto: 04 M3 SG/Imola/PP/Xenon
Quote:
Originally Posted by otacon
Do you know if the spoiler can be cleanly removed? IE, did they paint the car with it attached, or afterwards. I don't want a black line across the back of my trunk. Tho I had your idea of getting it, then selling it on ebay.

Yes it's painted underneath. It's just held on with emblem adhesion tape. Warm it up or keep the car in the sun on a good hot day and it should come off no prob.