Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)

E46 (1999 - 2006)
The fourth generation 3 Series (E46 chassis) was introduced in 1999 and set the standard for engineering and performance during it's years of production including being named to Car & Driver's 10 best list every one of those years! ! -- View the E46 Wiki

Old 03-16-2005, 02:46 PM

Mein Auto: 325 CIC
XM / Sirius in convertible with assist?

Hey everyone, I've searched the archives and can't quite find the answers I'm looking for. I just leased a 2005 325 CIC and I want to add in satellite radio - preferably aftermarket. I have no nav or changer.

-I emailed Blitzsafe and they told me that there was no conflict with BMW assist. Why do logjam and retailers say that it won't work with Assist? someone has to be wrong... maybe the guy at blitzsafe was some junior kid who didn't know.

-Is it easier to install Sirius? They both look like they have multiple parts to connect. I'm handy, but I'm no techie, so I'd like to do this without too many moving parts.

- Cost of equipment: If I'm correct I need blitzsafe adapter ($50) and XM terk ($170) for XM. Where do I put the antenna on a convertible?
With Sirius, it looks like I need the receiver ($240) an antenna ($100 - does the bumper antenna work?); and an intallation kit ($60)

I have metallic paint - where do I put the antenna on a convertible?

-Does it hook right into the cd changer wires?

-Where is the SAT button? Will it show up as soon as the satellite radio is hooked up? If i push mode now it just flips between the CD player and the radio.

thanks a lot people. i really appreciate your advice...
Ads by Google
Old 03-16-2005, 03:32 PM
A sudden sense of liberty

Mein Auto: 535xiT, Golf R, 987S
Quote:
Originally Posted by NEWBIMMERGUY
Hey everyone, I've searched the archives and can't quite find the answers I'm looking for. I just leased a 2005 325 CIC and I want to add in satellite radio - preferably aftermarket. I have no nav or changer.

-I emailed Blitzsafe and they told me that there was no conflict with BMW assist. Why do logjam and retailers say that it won't work with Assist? someone has to be wrong... maybe the guy at blitzsafe was some junior kid who didn't know.

-Is it easier to install Sirius? They both look like they have multiple parts to connect. I'm handy, but I'm no techie, so I'd like to do this without too many moving parts.

- Cost of equipment: If I'm correct I need blitzsafe adapter ($50) and XM terk ($170) for XM. Where do I put the antenna on a convertible?
With Sirius, it looks like I need the receiver ($240) an antenna ($100 - does the bumper antenna work?); and an intallation kit ($60)

I have metallic paint - where do I put the antenna on a convertible?

-Does it hook right into the cd changer wires?

-Where is the SAT button? Will it show up as soon as the satellite radio is hooked up? If i push mode now it just flips between the CD player and the radio.

thanks a lot people. i really appreciate your advice...
I have Assist in my 05 330i, and I installed the XM Direct/Blitzsafe combo last week. Works perfectly.

Buy the XM gear from here: http://www.myradiostore.us/bundles/c...ni-cooper.html This bundle includes everything you need (antenna, XM Direct, and Blitzsafe). I ordered mine and got it the next day--customer service is excellent.

It hooks directly into the CD changer wires. Buy the one with a CD player pass through, and you can hook an OEM changer up, as well, or you can do what I did and use ANOTHER Blitzsafe adapter to plug in an Alpine changer.

My current car is not a convertible, but my last one was. I put the antenna on the plastic piece in between the two rear headrests (so that it was inside the car with the top up). XM advises putting the antenna on metal, but I found I got excellent reception with the antenna in this location. The signal easily penetrates the cloth top, and the antenna was faily stealthy in that location. Here is my post on my original XM install (using the Pioneer receiver and older Blitzsafe adapter, not XM Direct) http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...ghlight=XM+JST

The "SAT" button is on the right of the display. It's not marked SAT until you plug in a satellite receiver, at which point SAT appears on the display screen over the button.

Good luck.

Last edited by JST; 03-16-2005 at 03:34 PM.
Old 03-21-2005, 08:43 PM

Mein Auto: 325 CIC
perfect advice.

thanks!