Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > The Detail Department

The Detail Department
Detailing tips, tricks to keep your bimmer in showroom condition.

Old 03-16-2005, 08:26 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 325i
Unhappy Need Help&Tips on Car Cleaning

Hi Guys:
I just bought a new BMW 325i Jet black 2005 model about 2 weeks ago.
Love it so much that I can't see it get dirty- though I can't help it.
So, here is the deal- I previously had a Honda and used to get it cleaned with the Automatic car washes in gas stations.
I do not want to do that and plan on doing the car wash, polish by myself.
I would really like some step by step instructions-Use water with the X liquid from the Y store to clean the tires first , then do the body ..kinda stuff...
I.m really cautious that IO don't mess up a thing..so please advice me...

Any help will be greatky appreciated.
thanks.
Advertisement
Old 03-16-2005, 09:05 PM
Uber Olive Brain

Mein Auto: 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw325i_enthu
I would really like some step by step instructions-Use water with the X liquid from the Y store to clean the tires first , then do the body ..kinda stuff...
I.m really cautious that IO don't mess up a thing..so please advice me...
This site has a detailing forum. Go there:

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=13
Old 03-16-2005, 10:10 PM
Padawan

Mein Auto: 2004 330ci Convertible
Welcome! Yes, visit the "Detail Department" forum and look around. Just remember this word: Zaino! I think it's awesome! (and I'm not affiliated with the company, I'm just a happy customer )

Then go post some pics of your car in the "Automotive/Photography" forum; I'd love to see the jet black after its Zaino'ed and detailed!

--J.
2004|330ci|Convertible|Silver Grey Metallic|Sport Package|Premium Package|Steptronic|NAV|Xenon Adaptive Headlights|Heated Seats|Black Montana Leather|Aluminum Brushed Column Trim|SSR/GT3 19" Rims (original 18" Style 71's in storage)
Old 03-17-2005, 06:23 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 325i
Smile Gret

Thanks a lot for your advice guys.
Quick thing here. I wanted to order the complete car kit from Zaino.
It has 2 things...
1.Zaino Total Protection Show Car Kit $84.70
2.Zaino ULTIMATE Protection Show Car Kit $116.95.

If you guys are familiar about this..Which would be the better one to order for a first time user like me?
Also, Is zainostore.com the only place to buy this off?
Thanks.
Old 03-17-2005, 07:58 PM
Padawan

Mein Auto: 2004 330ci Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw325i_enthu
Thanks a lot for your advice guys.
Quick thing here. I wanted to order the complete car kit from Zaino.
It has 2 things...
1.Zaino Total Protection Show Car Kit $84.70
2.Zaino ULTIMATE Protection Show Car Kit $116.95.

If you guys are familiar about this..Which would be the better one to order for a first time user like me?
Also, Is zainostore.com the only place to buy this off?
Thanks.
I bought the $85 one, I don't remember what was in the other one, but it was way more than I needed. The Glossing Spray is the best, I haven't Zainoe'd since last August, but a Cali. Duster and a few minutes after each drive with the Glossing Spray & a microfiber towel and it still looks fantastic (and smooth as glass). I haven't even washed the car in almost 8 months! I just keep it under a cover when I'm not driving.

I buy my stuff from the Zainostore website; I dont think they sell in any retail stores if that's what you mean.

--J.
2004|330ci|Convertible|Silver Grey Metallic|Sport Package|Premium Package|Steptronic|NAV|Xenon Adaptive Headlights|Heated Seats|Black Montana Leather|Aluminum Brushed Column Trim|SSR/GT3 19" Rims (original 18" Style 71's in storage)
Old 03-18-2005, 03:56 AM
ELmO

Send a message via AIM to elmalloc Send a message via MSN to elmalloc Send a message via Yahoo to elmalloc
Mein Auto: 05 330 CIC
I'm in the same boat as you, I'm getting a black bmw. Here's something Stephen Hicks emailed me, hopefully it helps you too:

I would start here www.autopia.org, tons of great information. I use Klasse on my car, but if I were to start over I would use Zaino. Car care takes a lot of time and black even more time, but with the proper car and products, it should not be a problem.

For the interior surfaces, I recommend 303 Aerospace protectant, low gloss with sun block. For the leather I use Zaino Z-10, for glass I use Stoner invisible glass. All are great products.

These are great FAQ's http://www.autopia-carcare.com/how-to.html

I quickly wrote this in response to another person's question about polishing paint. it might be a little more than you need.

This is what I wrote-
"Ok, this may be a long winded response, but I want to help others as I have been helped. I don’t know what you already know, so I will just cover my current routine.

First it seems you are ahead of the game with the Zaino products and claying. I have never used them, but have only heard and seen great things. I cannot comment on how to apply zaino. They will be your sealant after the paint is prepped with a polish.

The first place I start is with a good wash shampoo, I am currently using NXT car wash. It can be found locally and it is seems to work very well. Some say it is a little harsh for every wash, but I have found it to work well. I use a sheepskin mitt to wash the car. If you have tar or bugs, use a tar and bug product during the wash.

Next is Clay, this step is very important to create a slick smooth surface for the products to work with and bond to. After I wash, I rinse and refill my bucket with water and a little more soap than usual. Then I sponge some water and soap on the car and use the car suds as lubricant for the clay and do one panel at a time, adding more suds as needed. It’s like washing your car with clay. Turn and fold the clay frequently. I usually rip my bar into thirds so I have extra if I drop it. Then I use the dirty clay for my windows and wheels. Now is the time to wash one more time with dawn if you desire. I think Zaino recommends it. I am on the fence with dawn; it is very harsh on the paint, but does leave a nice clean slate to work with. Rinse and dry car thoroughly.

Now on to the PC and polishes topic. This is where I am new as well. I have used other polishers in the past, then decided I will do everything by hand and got great results with little or no mess, but now I am back to using a messy polisher. The reason is simple, defect removal. I have never been able to remove defects by hand. I bought my PC at Lows for $89 with a 10% coupon. I ordered my Lake Country pads from Autopia with a 40% coupon in the garage sale area. I purchased 1 orange, 2 white polishing and 2 grey finishing pads. I also picked up a 5” backing plate from Autopia with a 15% coupon. I decided to go with Poorboys SSR polishes (2.5 and 1). The reason is that I never heard a bad thing and read they were easy to use. I don’t have a garage so I needed polishes that could be used in the sun. These have no fillers, so when a swirl is gone, it’s gone, not filled in.

My cars both have good paint with minor swirls. I bought the orange pad and SSR 2.5 for scratches, but would be over kill for my paint. The only real advice I can offer with the PC is to take your time. Start with the least aggressive combo, for me that would be a white polishing pad and SSR1. Do a couple passes and see if there is an improvement. If not, then use the SSR2.5 with a white pad, working my way to the orange pad if needed. This is very time consuming, but the end result will be a swirl free mirror finish. Work the polish in a 2’x2’ area going back and forth overlapping by 50% on each pass. Do this until the polish starts to dust. Then stop and remove the polish. I recommend masking off areas you do not want polish, like trim. It will splatter everywhere if you are not careful. That is the messy part. I cannot stress enough, the PC is very forgiving, which means it will take time to get your paint the way you want it. Don’t give up, just take a break and relax. As you can tell I was getting a little frustrated while polishing. A good set of micro fiber towels will make you life so much easier when removing polish and other products.

Once you get the paint the way you like move on to your next step which would be Zaino. For me it’s the Klasse twins (AIO+SG).

Once the paint is sealed, I recommend topping with a carnauba. This will give the depth and wet you are looking for. I use S100, same as P21s, but it depends on the color of your car. I can recommend S100. My Dad has Sovereign but that is expensive. Some bring out dark or light colors. S100 is cheap and found at local Harley Davidson shops. I would research to see what people with Zaino use on dark cars.

Weekly washes with a sheepskin and a quality shampoo like NXT will help the finish last and not get all swirled up. Only use Micro fiber drying towels or the water blade thing I hear is good. Cotton towels with induce swirls. Use a Quick detail spray between washes to enhance shine. I use Eagle One Wet wipe n’ shine, found locally and cheap.

Hope this helps. They best way is to develop your own routine that works for you paint.

Now the interior is another story
Steve

-ELmO
Old 03-18-2005, 04:05 AM
•••••••

Mein Auto: '11 1M;'08 MCS;'02 325iT
Quote:
Originally Posted by elmalloc
Once the paint is sealed, I recommend topping with a carnauba. This will give the depth and wet you are looking for.
I've never heard anyone recommend applying carnauba on top of a polymer... I always thought that was a no-no, and that one needed to choose one or the other... never both.

Old 03-18-2005, 04:42 AM
Ex-Dictator

Mein Auto: Saab
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plaz
I've never heard anyone recommend applying carnauba on top of a polymer... I always thought that was a no-no, and that one needed to choose one or the other... never both.

Plaz, this topic have been discussed extensively on Autopia. At the beginning, as the polymer based sealants became popular, their websites were saying to avoid carnauba wax toppers under any circumstance and everyone decided to believe this statement.

But after a while, some brave guys decided to go and try this, since it wouldn't damage the paint and it would be well worth to give it a try for the sake of 'enlightening' the OCD community.

Well, they did it. And the outcome was excellent. You have one (or multiple) coats of polymer sealant and a carnauba topper on top of it. Since carnauba doesn't last for an extended time of period as a polymer sealant, it would vaporize (especially in the region with hot climate) and what remains is the polymer still on the paint. You can still put a coat of carnauba on the existing sealant.

So the urban legend that implied that carnauba would break the down the polymer turned out ot be false.
Old 03-18-2005, 07:20 AM
Uber Olive Brain

Quote:
Nope, although hazing can supposedly occur in some circumstances. See here:

http://autopia.org/kb/index.php?page..._v2&id=25&c=16
(which is part of http://autopia.org/kb/ -- a good place to start)

and here:

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...d.php?t=158378
(which is in the bimmerforums auto detailing forum: http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...play.php?f=147 )

Of course, this forum is also good.
Old 03-18-2005, 07:27 AM
•••••••

Mein Auto: '11 1M;'08 MCS;'02 325iT
Interesting... thanks guys! I may just try that with my spring detail... Dawn, clay, P21S GEPC, 3M IHG, Zaino, P21S Carnauba.
Old 03-18-2005, 12:31 PM
racer wannabe

Mein Auto: '12 X5,'08 535i, '03 325i
Quote:
Interesting... thanks guys! I may just try that with my spring detail... Dawn, clay, P21S GEPC, 3M IHG, Zaino, P21S Carnauba.
After this winter you better think about getting a REAL polish, your car will need it.

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...3&postcount=33
Old 03-18-2005, 12:35 PM
racer wannabe

Quote:

3 coats of Klasse Sealant Glaze topped with P21S, worked pretty good I think:

Old 03-18-2005, 12:46 PM
ELmO

Send a message via AIM to elmalloc Send a message via MSN to elmalloc Send a message via Yahoo to elmalloc
Mein Auto: 05 330 CIC
Vich headlights are those?
Old 03-18-2005, 01:12 PM
racer wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by elmalloc
Vich headlights are those?

OEM xenon projectors
Old 03-18-2005, 01:55 PM
Retired and Enjoying It

Mein Auto: 06 Vette (04 330Ci sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by F1Crazy
3 coats of Klasse Sealant Glaze topped with P21S, worked pretty good I think:

Nice shot!
Old 03-18-2005, 05:10 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: Jaguar XKE
Quote:

a)Carnauba wax will bond to a cross-linked polymer; conversely if a polymer is applied on top of Carnauba wax the cross-linking / bonding may be compromised.

Although I would not state categorically that a product that is formulated with oils will abort the cross linking or bonding process of a polymer just that the process may not be as complete, and its strength and durability maybe affected.
JonM
Old 03-19-2005, 07:54 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2014 335i F30 Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by TOGWT
Carnauba wax will bond to a cross-linked polymer; conversely if a polymer is applied on top of Carnauba wax the cross-linking / bonding may be compromised.

Although I would not state categorically that a product that is formulated with oils will abort the cross linking or bonding process of a polymer just that the process may not be as complete, and its strength and durability maybe affected.
JonM
Err.... I have no idea what you just said.
Old 03-19-2005, 08:42 AM
racer wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Flanary
I think what he said is that some carnauba waxes made with a big amount of oils may have a damaging effect on polymer sealant if topped with that carnauba.

I'm not sure how oils will affect polymers but solvents used in waxes definitely will. I would not use liquid carnauba as a topper, stick to a good paste carnauba.
Old 03-19-2005, 11:23 AM
Uber Olive Brain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Flanary
Here's the "simple" version:

To protect your car and make it look good, there are two main toppers: waxes and polymer sealants/glazes. Both have pros and cons: among others, polymer sealants/glazes protect longer, but many people prefer the look of waxes (which doesn't last as long). As a result, some people will put wax over a sealant/glaze, although this might result in slight hazing (most people don't seem to run into this). However, while putting a wax over a sealant/glaze can be done, you cannot put a sealant/glaze over wax. This is because of how the sealant/glazes work: they bond to the paint, which can take anywhere from hours (minutes??) to days after applying (curing). If you apply the sealant/glaze over wax, there's nothing for the sealant/glaze to bond to.

F1Crazy's post is a great example of wax over glaze.

For more info, see here:

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...d.php?t=158378

(this forum needs a good introductory sticky.)