Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)

E46 (1999 - 2006)
The fourth generation 3 Series (E46 chassis) was introduced in 1999 and set the standard for engineering and performance during it's years of production including being named to Car & Driver's 10 best list every one of those years! ! -- View the E46 Wiki

Old 02-19-2005, 09:18 AM
Vietato

Mein Auto: 2009 Toyota Matrix
Rear passenger window is "loose"

What I mean "loose" is that window came loose from something and it won't go up or down. I can pull it up and down with my hand.

What broke and how much is it going to cost me?

This just had to happen when it was raining on the way home on the highway. I was able to push it almost all the way up (of course getting off the highway first and stopped the car). But, it would slowly creep back down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frog
"When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice."

- Cherokee Expression
Advertisement
Old 02-19-2005, 09:20 AM
Ex-Dictator

Mein Auto: Saab
A new window regulator.

Sorry can't tell how much it costs
Old 02-19-2005, 09:29 AM
Vietato

Ugh. So, what does it mean when I can hear a "Whhhrrrrrrr-brrrrrrrrrrr" sound when I use lower my front driver's side window? I can see the window shaking/vibrating when it does that. Is that a sign of the window regulator going bad?

Quote:
"When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice."

- Cherokee Expression
Old 02-19-2005, 09:41 AM
just copacetic!!!

Mein Auto: 2013 328i, 2003 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by pintnight
Ugh. So, what does it mean when I can hear a "Whhhrrrrrrr-brrrrrrrrrrr" sound when I use lower my front driver's side window? I can see the window shaking/vibrating when it does that. Is that a sign of the window regulator going bad?
Sounds like both window regulators.
'89 325i Bronz, AT(retired)
'02 325i StlGrey, AT, PP, SP
'13 328i AlpWhite, AT8, Xenon, HK
Old 02-19-2005, 09:44 AM
Vietato

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndDown
Sounds like both window regulators.

Quote:

- Cherokee Expression
Old 03-15-2005, 04:28 PM
hockey-holic

Mein Auto: Topaz 330i
bump. My same window exhibits the same problem. Assuming it's a window regulator, did anyone get a cost? My front passenger went out a couple years ago and it was covered under warranty so I don't know how much it costs.
OEM roof rack, manual rear sunshade (NEW 8/06)
Old 03-15-2005, 08:48 PM
Uber Olive Brain

Mein Auto: 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by exBMWannabe
bump. My same window exhibits the same problem. Assuming it's a window regulator, did anyone get a cost? My front passenger went out a couple years ago and it was covered under warranty so I don't know how much it costs.
Do a search. I'd guess that regulators are probably one of the top five -- maybe top three -- issues here.

How much it costs (per window) depends on how/where you fix it. Parts are, IIRC, under $100 (not necessarily an easy DIY), and some dealers will charge several hundred to fix it. Independent shops should charge less than dealers.
Old 03-16-2005, 04:02 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2014 335i F30 Sedan
Parts about $100 and labor about $200. Sadly, my dealer has gotten so experienced at this they can do one in 45 minutes.
Old 03-16-2005, 06:56 AM
BMW + twisty road = fun

Mein Auto: Car
Window regulators... a E46 curse.
Old 03-16-2005, 01:02 PM
hockey-holic

Quote:
Originally Posted by darrylo
Do a search. I'd guess that regulators are probably one of the top five -- maybe top three -- issues here.
Did a search on window regulators and this was one of the threads that came up. Nothing came up on costs or I didn't look at every post in each thread close enough.

Yes, I know it's a common event. As I mentioned earlier, I already had one replaced under warranty but I didn't ask how much it would have cost.

Good to know it's not a routine DIY and that at least I'm getting some value out of the labor costs. Thanks all.
Old 03-16-2005, 03:16 PM
Uber Olive Brain

Quote:
Good to know it's not a routine DIY and that at least I'm getting some value out of the labor costs. Thanks all.
Well, it depends on your skills. I don't think I'd do it myself, although a number of people have. To get an idea of what's involved, see this DIY:

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...ndow+regulator
Old 03-16-2005, 04:12 PM
hockey-holic

Quote:
Originally Posted by darrylo
Well, it depends on your skills. I don't think I'd do it myself, although a number of people have. To get an idea of what's involved, see this DIY:

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...ndow+regulator
Thanks for the link.

Well damn, it looks fairly easy. I've done my brake pads, oil and coolant changes recently so this doesn't appear to be too difficult. Is it just me or are the pics not there? Or do you need to be logged in to see the attached pics?

EDIT: well, I see my old ID is still there and I logged in so that's not it. Maybe I'll PM the OP and ask him for the pics.

Last edited by exBMWannabe; 03-16-2005 at 04:14 PM.
Old 03-16-2005, 05:06 PM
Uber Olive Brain

Quote:
EDIT: well, I see my old ID is still there and I logged in so that's not it. Maybe I'll PM the OP and ask him for the pics.
I can still see the pics. If that doesn't pan out, PM me with an email address, and I'll send a PDF of the first messages in the thread. Be warned that the pictures are pretty blurry, though.

Oh, and if you do decide to do it yourself, be careful of the weatherproofing (the vapor barrier with the sticky tape). Be careful not to tear/break it. That's the one thing that trips up some people: if you don't get it back on just right, your door will leak (I don't see how, but I've seen people talking about that).

Edit: ah, found the link that contains the warnings on the vapor barrier:

http://bimmer.roadfly.org/bmw/forums/e46/5547653-1.html

Last edited by darrylo; 03-16-2005 at 05:15 PM.
Old 03-16-2005, 10:33 PM
hockey-holic

Thanks bro. It was a Netscape thing. I looked at the DIY from home with IE and the pics showed up. I'll try IE from work to print the DIY.... I'll be making a trip to the dealership and pocket that $200 in labor.

BTW, someone does mention the sticky vapor barrier tape. One suggested to buy more tape, others state that if you're careful, you can reuse it. I'll open it up and see how it goes.

Last edited by exBMWannabe; 03-16-2005 at 10:36 PM.