Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)

E46 (1999 - 2006)
The fourth generation 3 Series (E46 chassis) was introduced in 1999 and set the standard for engineering and performance during it's years of production including being named to Car & Driver's 10 best list every one of those years! ! -- View the E46 Wiki

Old 03-15-2005, 08:15 PM

Mein Auto: 325i
Ran over curb with a rock-side skirt alignment questions

Hi,

im such a bonehead. i was driving my 2004 bmw 325i in parking lot and was turning right into another parking area that had a speedbump. My Dumbass turn a bit too much and i ended up hitting an island. The sad part was i thought i was going over the speedbump so i slowly accelerated over the island and i didnt finally realized what i was doing until i heard scratching under my car. So i reversed slowly back and realized i had run over the tip of the island and worse, there was a decoractive rock there that i ran over. So now i have a slightly off alignment and my side skirt is warped. If it wasnt for the rock i probaly would have no damage really.

i was wondering if anyone can recommend an alignment shop in the oc or la area. The dealership wants 200 and places like just tires and sears wants a hundred butim not too sure if they are good places. Any opnions? Also, my side skirt is just warped, no cracks or scratches really. Iis it possible for a body shop to bend it back or will i have to get it replaced. thanks in advance!!!!!!!!!!!

325idiot
Advertisement
Old 03-15-2005, 08:38 PM
Empowered Consumer

Mein Auto: 1 - 4.20hp, 1 - 420hp
Quote:
Originally Posted by 325idiot
The sad part was i thought i was going over the speedbump so i slowly accelerated over the island and i didnt finally realized what i was doing until i heard scratching under my car. So i reversed slowly back and realized i had run over the tip of the island and worse, there was a decoractive rock there that i ran over.
I am so sorry for your misfortune. Really.

But everytime I read this I laugh. Did you really drive over an island and decorative rock thinking it was a speedbump?

Alex

My Flickr
TeamWTF?!

Old 03-15-2005, 08:42 PM
///Mpty pockets

Mein Auto: wankermatic
Quote:
Also, my side skirt is just warped, no cracks or scratches really. Iis it possible for a body shop to bend it back or will i have to get it replaced. thanks in advance!!!!!!!!!!!

325idiot
Are you talking about the plastic side skirt? No that can't be repaired, but you can order a new one pre-painted from your dealer.
Old 03-15-2005, 08:51 PM

Mein Auto: 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by BahnBaum
I am so sorry for your misfortune. Really.

But everytime I read this I laugh. Did you really drive over an island and decorative rock thinking it was a speedbump?

Alex
haha, yeah, im such a freaking bonehead...i was thinking of just going to just tires..or should i stick with the dealership
Old 03-16-2005, 12:10 PM
Banned

Mein Auto: 5/01 production 330Cic
Quote:
Originally Posted by bren
Are you talking about the plastic side skirt? No that can't be repaired, but you can order a new one pre-painted from your dealer.
Side-skirt -- the panel that attaches just under the door?

I had a little accident with a too-high gate track leaving a parking lot, tore off my front left jackpoint, and pulled back and damaged that body panel that snaps on right under the door.

If that is the "side-skirt" I'd love to just order a replacement pre-painted, the attachment clips, and slap it on myself.
Old 03-16-2005, 12:38 PM
///Mpty pockets

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKT BMR
Side-skirt -- the panel that attaches just under the door?

I had a little accident with a too-high gate track leaving a parking lot, tore off my front left jackpoint, and pulled back and damaged that body panel that snaps on right under the door.

If that is the "side-skirt" I'd love to just order a replacement pre-painted, the attachment clips, and slap it on myself.
Yup, that's the one. You have to tell the parts guy to go into the Euro parts selection but it's there. For whatever reason the US parts list only shows them primed.
Old 03-16-2005, 12:46 PM
Rest in peace, Coach

Mein Auto: '06 MZ4C, '09 WRX Wagon
Quote:
Originally Posted by bren
Yup, that's the one. You have to tell the parts guy to go into the Euro parts selection but it's there. For whatever reason the US parts list only shows them primed.
IF THE PAINT IS INTACT all you need are the proper fasteners to re-attach and align the side skirt. It sounds like some of the fasteners popped, and those fasteners are one use only and once they pop they will not hold.

I would offer to do this for you for free, but it's so damn easy you should be able to do it yourself. There's about a half dozen expanding rivets underneath the skirt, you need to remove them all by removing the center portion of the rivet then remove the rivet. Then pull on the skirt hard to release all the fasteners. There should be 6-8 fasteners. Replace the male portion of the fastener on the skirt, and replace the female portion of the fasteners on the body of the car, make sure the fasteners are aligned properly and work from the front of the car to the rear, pop the side skirt back on. Re-use the expanding rivets and re-secure the bottom of the skirt.

There may be a screw or two that hold it in where the jack-points are.

Someone with an ETK handy can provide you the PN for the fasteners.
Old 03-16-2005, 01:21 PM

Mein Auto: bmw 325i
Quote:
Hi,

im such a bonehead. i was driving my 2004 bmw 325i in parking lot and was turning right into another parking area that had a speedbump. My Dumbass turn a bit too much and i ended up hitting an island. The sad part was i thought i was going over the speedbump so i slowly accelerated over the island and i didnt finally realized what i was doing until i heard scratching under my car. So i reversed slowly back and realized i had run over the tip of the island and worse, there was a decoractive rock there that i ran over. So now i have a slightly off alignment and my side skirt is warped. If it wasnt for the rock i probaly would have no damage really.

i was wondering if anyone can recommend an alignment shop in the oc or la area. The dealership wants 200 and places like just tires and sears wants a hundred butim not too sure if they are good places. Any opnions? Also, my side skirt is just warped, no cracks or scratches really. Iis it possible for a body shop to bend it back or will i have to get it replaced. thanks in advance!!!!!!!!!!!

325idiot
DO NOT go to Just-Tires....They could not get the alignment right on my gf's car and finally had to refund the money. She went to GoodYear Tire store and got it done properly for under $100.
Old 03-16-2005, 04:39 PM
Banned

Mein Auto: 5/01 production 330Cic
Quote:
Originally Posted by The HACK
IF THE PAINT IS INTACT all you need are the proper fasteners to re-attach and align the side skirt. It sounds like some of the fasteners popped, and those fasteners are one use only and once they pop they will not hold.
I wish that was all that was in play here.

No, the piece itself is damaged. It's relatively innocuous, and isn't really noticable unless you specifically look it over. Still, I'd like to have it back to "perfect".

Anyway, I take it from your reply that that is indeed the "side-skirt", and is something I can order up fully painted in OB? Self-install is a snap (pun intended )
Old 03-16-2005, 04:49 PM
Rest in peace, Coach

Mein Auto: '06 MZ4C, '09 WRX Wagon
Quote:
Originally Posted by RKT BMR
I wish that was all that was in play here.

No, the piece itself is damaged. It's relatively innocuous, and isn't really noticable unless you specifically look it over. Still, I'd like to have it back to "perfect".

Anyway, I take it from your reply that that is indeed the "side-skirt", and is something I can order up fully painted in OB? Self-install is a snap (pun intended )
Dunno who would supply it pre-painted. You will likely have to order it primed and have a bodyshop do it up for you. The Z4 has a huge gash on the passenger side from the misses taking a particularly tall "apex" a little too aggresively. I'm just going to have them sand it down and repainted, since the gash didn't puncture the plastic.

If you had Topaz, I could've sold you my PERFECT prestine side skirt for cost of shipping.
Old 03-16-2005, 06:28 PM
///Mpty pockets

Quote:
Originally Posted by The HACK
Dunno who would supply it pre-painted.
BMW would: (from realoem.com)

01 DOOR SILL, PAINTED, LEFT CODE - UNI/MET. 1 51130021494 $252.70 Buy