Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)

E46 (1999 - 2006)
The fourth generation 3 Series (E46 chassis) was introduced in 1999 and set the standard for engineering and performance during it's years of production including being named to Car & Driver's 10 best list every one of those years! ! -- View the E46 Wiki

Old 03-17-2005, 08:58 AM

Mein Auto: BMW 330i (HP Package)
Arrow 330i pre-owned certified... can't keep tires?

what's up everyone... posting a thread to introduce myself as a first time bimmer owner and to tell my little tire story. i just purchased a pre-owned certified 03' 330i w/ zhp package and suede leather interior (anyone know what the name of this interior is?), and i was told that everything that was on the car i could keep after they finished certifying it. it had after market clear side markers, turn signals, and rear tail lights. it also had brand new tires on it... the pilot sports. i was told at least 3 seperate times by my sales person that i would also be able to keep my tires. well i purchased the car last week but didn't drop it off to get certified until monday afternoon. everything went fine... they switched out my lights with the OEM ones and put the aftermarket stuff in my trunk and put new tires on her. well, i picked it back up on tues. and i asked where my tires were so that i could pick them up in the next couple of days, and my sales person said he'd get that info for me and call me back. well, wed. came and so i called him and remined him about the tires and he informed me that because it was a certified bmw, that i couldn't keep my tires. i told him i was able to keep everything else that was on the car... why couldn't i keep the tires... that by the way... you told me on more than one occasion that i could keep. he then said that he didn't realize that i couldn't keep them until he talked to the service manager.

so anyways, i was pretty fired up... cause that's $1,000 dollars that it was gonna save me when i needed to change out tires. so this morning i called and spoke to the general manager... needless to say i was able to pick them up 15 minutes later. just wondering if they were trying to pull one over on me... maybe selling the ones that came off my car out the back door?... or was i asking too much by trying to keep them? anyways, this is a really good board and i enjoy reading the threads here. btw, sorry for such a long first post.

- Jason
Ads by Google
Old 03-17-2005, 09:50 AM
meroglot

Send a message via AIM to 'Cane
Mein Auto: ?
The interior is called Alcantara.

Don't know about the other scenario, but I would imagine that they put new tires on when they sold you the car?
Old 03-17-2005, 10:03 AM
Livin' like Larry!

Mein Auto: 2007 328XiT; 2008 328 CiC
You bought the car and it was then certified? I think thats against BMW policy... the car is to be certified BEFORE you by it (which would have avoided the issues you experienced, because the tires would have been replaced prior to you taking ownership (assuming they were worn))... My CPO only had 9K on it, so it was just a matter of checking it for damage and washing it... Your dealer sounds a little fishy, so I wouldn't be surprised if someone was trying to score themselves some tires...
Old 03-17-2005, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 330Cane
Don't know about the other scenario, but I would imagine that they put new tires on when they sold you the car?
the car wasn't certified until after i purchased it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salvator
You bought the car and it was then certified? I think thats against BMW policy... the car is to be certified BEFORE you by it (which would have avoided the issues you experienced, because the tires would have been replaced prior to you taking ownership (assuming they were worn))... My CPO only had 9K on it, so it was just a matter of checking it for damage and washing it... Your dealer sounds a little fishy, so I wouldn't be surprised if someone was trying to score themselves some tires...
yeah, that's what i figured... that some was trying to score some fresh tires. also, i didn't realize that it was supposed to be certified prior to buying it... i just assumed that it was a new trade and they hadn't gotten around to certifying it yet. thanks for the info.

- Jason
Old 03-17-2005, 12:35 PM
BMW + twisty road = fun

Mein Auto: Car
Why should you get two sets of tires when buying a car? The dealer should be able to keep any tires taken off before selling you the car.
Old 03-17-2005, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artslinger
Why should you get two sets of tires when buying a car? The dealer should be able to keep any tires taken off before selling you the car.
well my point was that i bought the car with the tires on it... before they replaced the tires. i was told by my salesperson that anything taken off the car during certification, i would get to keep... including my tires. i was specifically told on more than one occassion that i would be able to keep my tires. for me it was kind of an incentive... cause i knew that i would save money when it came time to replace my tires.
Old 03-17-2005, 01:40 PM

Mein Auto: 2000 328i, 89 325i
Are the Pilot Sports the exact same size measurement as the ones on the car? (xxx/xxRxx?)
Old 03-17-2005, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopper
Are the Pilot Sports the exact same size measurement as the ones on the car? (xxx/xxRxx?)
yeah, the ones taken off were pilot sports and the ones put on were pilot sports... the same exact tire... size and measurment.
Old 03-17-2005, 02:24 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by J Crew
yeah, the ones taken off were pilot sports and the ones put on were pilot sports... the same exact tire... size and measurment.
But why were the tires taken off in the first place? Was there something about the tires that were on the car that prevented it from meeting certification?
Old 03-17-2005, 02:29 PM
meroglot

Send a message via AIM to 'Cane
Mein Auto: ?
Well, they have to have a certain amount of tread left, but if they were new they would have been okay. Somethings missing here.
Old 03-17-2005, 02:38 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 328i/323iT
Tires have to have 60% treadlife for car to be certified. They were probably below that, so they replaced them. I seriously doubt the dealer was trying to steal the used tires. I suppose it's possible an idividual in the garage wanted them, but I still seriously doubt it. Dealership care about sellings cars, not holding on to used tires. They got lost in the shuffle.

***EDIT***

If that is your worst experience with a dealership (you almost didn't get to keep a set of throwaway tires) consider yourself lucky.

Enjoy your new car!
Old 03-17-2005, 03:12 PM
BMW + twisty road = fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Crew
the car wasn't certified until after i purchased it.

- Jason
I didn't know a dealer could CPO a a car after the initial purchase?

So you buy the car off the lot then dealer CPO's the car... how much did you pay to have that done?
Old 03-17-2005, 04:30 PM

Send a message via AIM to ibaj
Mein Auto: 330i
Quote:
I just bought my used 330i from the dealer and it was a lease return that had been on the lot for 6 hours. I bought the car and released it back to the dealer so they could CPO it. They gave me another car to drive for 4 days while my BMW was getting CPOed.
Old 03-17-2005, 07:40 PM
I know a thing or two...

Mein Auto: '13 BMW 335xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by ibaj
I just bought my used 330i from the dealer and it was a lease return that had been on the lot for 6 hours. I bought the car and released it back to the dealer so they could CPO it. They gave me another car to drive for 4 days while my BMW was getting CPOed.
This thread has enough ammo in it to get a few dealers kicked out of the CPO program for a while.

The first rule in the book: you can not sell a CPO car before it is certified. Even more important, in the event that you write a deal on one of those cars "as a right of first refusal once the car is completed", under absolutely no circumstances can you let the customer take possession of the car prior to the car going through the steps.
Old 03-18-2005, 05:12 AM
BMW + twisty road = fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by SARAFIL
This thread has enough ammo in it to get a few dealers kicked out of the CPO program for a while.

The first rule in the book: you can not sell a CPO car before it is certified. Even more important, in the event that you write a deal on one of those cars "as a right of first refusal once the car is completed", under absolutely no circumstances can you let the customer take possession of the car prior to the car going through the steps.

I can’t believe the dealer is doing this.

Very bad... If some are dealers are doing this and BMW is doing nothing about it than this policy of buying and than having the car CPOed needs to be expressed to the customer before purchasing a CPO program car. Otherwise it is false advertising and misleads the customer IMO.
Old 03-18-2005, 08:08 AM
Livin' like Larry!

Mein Auto: 2007 328XiT; 2008 328 CiC
Quote:
Originally Posted by SARAFIL

That's what I thought... Otherwise, the CPO is just being used as an extended warranty... Like I said earlier, sounds like a fishy dealer...
Old 03-18-2005, 09:31 AM
BMW + twisty road = fun

Quote:
That's what I thought... Otherwise, the CPO is just being used as an extended warranty... Like I said earlier, sounds like a fishy dealer...
It should be fairly easy for BMW to figure out who this dealer is.
Old 03-18-2005, 09:51 AM
TD

Mein Auto:
Back in late '98 when we were shopping for E36 convertibles (and ended up buying a new '99 323iC), we looked at multiple used E36 'verts in the area. At one dealer on the other side of the river, they had a car on the lot that we were somewhat interested in. I asked if it was CPO'd. The salesman said no but that they'd gladly CPO it for me for $2500.

When I bought my '98 M3 back in 2001 (different dealer), I test drove the car in the condition it was traded. I was told at the time that it was going to be certified and I put a deposit down on it. When I came back to pick it up a few days later, it had new tires (f*cking ContiSports instead of the Pilots that had been on it) and it had been to Dent Wizard (for a few minor dings) and had been serviced and completely detailed. Other than the choice in tires, I couldn't complain.
Old 03-18-2005, 10:26 AM
BMW + twisty road = fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by TD
Back in late '98 when we were shopping for E36 convertibles (and ended up buying a new '99 323iC), we looked at multiple used E36 'verts in the area. At one dealer on the other side of the river, they had a car on the lot that we were somewhat interested in. I asked if it was CPO'd. The salesman said no but that they'd gladly CPO it for me for $2500.

When I bought my '98 M3 back in 2001 (different dealer), I test drove the car in the condition it was traded. I was told at the time that it was going to be certified and I put a deposit down on it. When I came back to pick it up a few days later, it had new tires (f*cking ContiSports instead of the Pilots that had been on it) and it had been to Dent Wizard (for a few minor dings) and had been serviced and completely detailed. Other than the choice in tires, I couldn't complain.

I wonder if it is company policy now to CPO any car for a price, considering BMW now offers extended warranties.