Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)

E46 (1999 - 2006)
The fourth generation 3 Series (E46 chassis) was introduced in 1999 and set the standard for engineering and performance during it's years of production including being named to Car & Driver's 10 best list every one of those years! ! -- View the E46 Wiki

Old 03-18-2005, 04:46 PM

Mein Auto: 325i
Programming the Key?

I just got a new 2005 325i and am in need of advice.
My question this time (and I think there may be many to come) is the functions on the key. I did go to the dealer and got them to install the factory alarm system. He explained some stuff but after I got home I re-read the manual again and I find that the key is this mysterious piece of BMW technology that seems to require a visit to the dealer each and every time one wishes to "program",call up or, change a function.
As this key programming is from seat and mirror postition , head lights (on, off, sensitivity), air conditioning pre sets, etc, etc, is there a way for me to do this myself or do I really need to go to the dealer when (or every time) I gain weight and need to move the seat position (LOL). The key seems to be a very important piece of equipment but I find that being tied to the dealer is a bit strange.
I am also a bit confused as to what the "follow me home" function is. I can have this deactivated by my dealer (woo hoo) but as of now I do not know what it is doing. Maybe I have to get the dealer to "activate" it first?
Please help a new guy.

Thanks

Pete
Advertisement
Old 03-18-2005, 04:54 PM
Rest in peace, Coach

Mein Auto: '06 MZ4C, '09 WRX Wagon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete.coach
...is there a way for me to do this myself...
No.

The only thing tied to your key's memory that you can control, is the memory of the seat position. For example, if you set your seat and saved the memory in position 1, got out of the car and locked the door, and say, your wife has her preference set as position 2 and got out and locked the car with the 2nd master key, the next time YOU unlock the door with your key it will automatically move the seat back to position 1, or whatever position the seat was the last time you used YOUR key to lock the door. It will also memorize which radio station you left the radio on the last time you use that particular key to lock the door, and it will memorize what position you left the outside mirrors at, if you have powered seats. Also it will remember the last climate control setting from the last time you locked your door. Doesn't mean you need to take your car back to the dealership to "program" these features in.

However, other key specific settings such as day time running light, car alarm settings (auto locking when car moving past 5mph...etc) follow-me-home lights, and a gamut of other settings NEEDS TO BE PROGRAMMED at the dealership or an independent mechanic with a MODIC or GT1 machine.

Follow-me-home lights are also refered to as pathway lighting, after you shut off the engine, if you flick the control stalk like you were flashing your high beams for a pass signal, the headlights will stay on for ~45 seconds to illuminate the path in front of you.
Old 03-19-2005, 07:01 AM

Mein Auto: 325i
Thanks for the info. Cleared up quite a few of the questions. I am guessin there are no after market key programmers (like code readers) available?

Pete
Old 03-19-2005, 09:13 AM
Wagon Man

Mein Auto: Ultimate Wagon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete.coach
Thanks for the info. Cleared up quite a few of the questions. I am guessin there are no after market key programmers (like code readers) available?

Pete
You guess right..