Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)

E46 (1999 - 2006)
The fourth generation 3 Series (E46 chassis) was introduced in 1999 and set the standard for engineering and performance during it's years of production including being named to Car & Driver's 10 best list every one of those years! ! -- View the E46 Wiki

Old 03-20-2005, 08:43 PM

Mein Auto: 2004 325Ci
sport pkg BRAKE DUST PROBLEMS

anybody have tremendous amounts of brake dust very shortly after washing their sport pkg rims? im talking bout the 5 spoke 17" ones that come on 325's
Old 03-20-2005, 08:44 PM
King of Rear Clunks

Mein Auto: 01 325iT, 88 M6
This is normal
Old 03-20-2005, 08:58 PM

Mein Auto: 2004 325Ci
so, they make you pay extra for nicer rims, then say its against warranty to install brake dust shields. interesting. do they want us to have dirty cars?
Old 03-20-2005, 09:07 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 97 White 328iC
Quote:
Originally Posted by dankykev04
so, they make you pay extra for nicer rims, then say its against warranty to install brake dust shields. interesting. do they want us to have dirty cars?
Brake dust shields are a HUGE no no. They block valuable cooling airflow, thus causing brakes to overheat.

No, of course they don't want us to have dirty cars. It's in the fine print in the enthusiast guidebook. BMW ownership is expensive, both monetarily, and time wise.
Old 03-20-2005, 09:17 PM
Padawan

Mein Auto: 2004 330ci Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by dankykev04
anybody have tremendous amounts of brake dust very shortly after washing their sport pkg rims? im talking bout the 5 spoke 17" ones that come on 325's
Yes, I HATE dirty dust covered rims... so much so that I wipe down my wheels after every drive. It actually doesn't take that long, and if you do it often, the rims never get pitted and stained and always look brand new so it's a worthwhile investment for me. But yes, after even one short drive I'm amazed at how much dust splotches all over the front rims. It has nothing to do with the type of wheel you have, it happens to all of them.

Do you ever notice how many peeps in Bimmers drive around with so much brake dust on their wheels, they've turned black? That just disgusts me!

I'm thinking about getting some replacement pads that dust less, any suggestions?

--J.
2004|330ci|Convertible|Silver Grey Metallic|Sport Package|Premium Package|Steptronic|NAV|Xenon Adaptive Headlights|Heated Seats|Black Montana Leather|Aluminum Brushed Column Trim|SSR/GT3 19" Rims (original 18" Style 71's in storage)

Last edited by JonathanIT; 03-20-2005 at 09:21 PM.
Old 03-20-2005, 09:59 PM

Send a message via AIM to ibaj
Mein Auto: 330i
Cool Dust...

I just bought my first BMW, 330i with HSP and HPP and I'm surprised how much dust gets on the wheels. I even asked my dealer about this and they told me it's normal. What do you recommend to use for cleaning the dust? I've been using Simple Green, but is there anything else anyone uses?
Old 03-20-2005, 10:52 PM
They call 'em rigs here

Mein Auto: '09 E92.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ibaj
I just bought my first BMW, 330i with HSP and HPP and I'm surprised how much dust gets on the wheels. I even asked my dealer about this and they told me it's normal. What do you recommend to use for cleaning the dust? I've been using Simple Green, but is there anything else anyone uses?
I use tire foam, usually Armor-All. I spray the tire and the wheel then wipe off the wheel...Tire and wheel looks great. If I stay up on wiping the wheels, I don't need to use the foam every time...Maybe every 2nd or 3rd time that I wipe them down. Which means I might use the foam once every week or two. I'm obsessive enough that I think about cleaning them every day, if not after every drive like JonathanIT, but I'm not ambitious enough to make it happen. Obsessive-Compulsive and Lazy; makes for some interesting conversations inside my head.
Old 03-20-2005, 11:51 PM
Uber Olive Brain

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonathanIT
I'm thinking about getting some replacement pads that dust less, any suggestions?
Alternatively, instead of (or in addition to) brake pads, try Klass AIO & SG. Does take a little work, though. See the detailing forum here:

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=63945
Old 03-21-2005, 01:55 AM
When will then be now?

Mein Auto: 435i GC (ordered)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonathanIT
Do you ever notice how many peeps in Bimmers drive around with so much brake dust on their wheels, they've turned black? That just disgusts me!
Hehe...that would be me. My wheels are graphite right now.
Old 03-21-2005, 03:50 AM
I love my beautiful wife.

Mein Auto: '01 325i
The brake dust issue isn't limited to SP equipt cars.

Two words: Axis Deluxe.
moonroof:
Old 03-21-2005, 07:25 AM
Spelling Impaired

Mein Auto: '10 Mazda3 HB
Quote:
Originally Posted by alpinewhite325i

Two words: Axis Deluxe.
Mintex Red Box pads work very well too.
Old 03-21-2005, 08:06 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Nick325xiT 5spd Send a message via AIM to Nick325xiT 5spd Send a message via Yahoo to Nick325xiT 5spd
Mein Auto: M3 & 323i/999 KP
The Axxis Deluxe Plus will help the dust issue at a cost of some braking performance.

Anyone who installs dust shields should have their car summarily seized. I can think of very few things you can do to your car that are more dangerous.
1990 325is Brilliantrot/Tan
1989 325is S50B30US Alpinweiß/Black
1989 M3 Alpinweiß/Black S50B32 (321hp, ITBs)

Old 03-21-2005, 09:29 AM

Mein Auto: 2000 328i, 89 325i
If you wax your rims when they are clean, they will be easier to clean again. However, the wax will wear much more quickly than it does on your paint. If you hand wash your car (and you should ) use your sponge to clean the wheels after you wash the body. Then after you dry the car, use a paper towel or something soft (cotton cloth) to clean up what's left. Normally if this is done frequently there is no accumulation problem.

I saw MrClean have some sort of Magic wheel cleaning solution that is sold under the spot-free autowash line. Anybody tried these?

I'm always afraid of wheel cleaning products eating my finish...
Old 03-21-2005, 09:34 AM

Mein Auto: 2004 330CiC
Replacement pads

Either the Hawk or the Akebono ceramic will solve the problem. Don't go nuts with the performance, track versions, etc. The simple ones will work just fine and are a better pad than the OEM.

posted this a few times already. I can't remember when I looked at my car and said, Damn the wheels get dirty so fast.

Invest in all 4 pads (the fronts get dirtier faster since the have to exert more stopping power than the rears - inertia.

This is the single most best thing I ever did for the car.

MAKe sure you seat them per the instructions on the box!!!!!!!!!

It's easy but important to do that. I did it 8X modderate stop from 35 - 45 MPH followed by 5X hard stop from at least 50.
Old 03-21-2005, 10:03 AM
King of Rear Clunks

Mein Auto: 01 325iT, 88 M6
Carbotech Bobcats.

And the way they're wearing so far (20k on them) they should last me 3x longer than stocks (26k)
Old 03-21-2005, 10:23 AM
racer wannabe

Mein Auto: '12 X5,'08 535i, '03 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by ibaj
Simple Green?! Would you spray Simple Green on your paint? Well, the wheel is finished the same way with clearcoat on top of color coat. Simple Green will dull and discolor your wheels with time. It's hard to notice that but compare them with your spare and you'll see how dull and yellow they got.

I agree that with moderately dirty wheels it's best to just use car shampoo but if they get really dirty use dedicated wheel cleaner. I like Eagle One's A2Z, BMW wheel cleaner and Meguiar's Hot Rims.

I don't feel like polishing my wheels so from time to time I just use Klasse All-In-One but NuFinish is also a good alternative for wheels.

All German pads will leave black dust, I think that TUV mandates the use of certain materials in pads. I got a set of Axxis Deluxe Plus pads and don't think about brake dust anymore.
Old 03-21-2005, 10:33 AM

Mein Auto: E90 330i, X3 3.0i
Quote:
Originally Posted by alpinewhite325i
Exactly right. He lucked out by having a sport package. If he had a performance package and mentioned this question, he had been stoned to death already.
Old 03-21-2005, 10:48 AM
Rest in peace, Coach

Mein Auto: '06 MZ4C, '09 WRX Wagon
This problem is hardly related to the sports package. All modern BMWs are like this.

The issue of brake dust has been discussed to death, if you'd like a solution to your problem do a search on "brake dust" and you will see there are hundreds of solutions to "your" problem.
Old 03-21-2005, 11:54 AM
Uber Olive Brain

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopper
If you wax your rims when they are clean, they will be easier to clean again. However, the wax will wear much more quickly than it does on your paint.
Wax is generally not recommended, due to its low melting point (brake dust is hot). At the risk of sounding like a stuck record, Read This Fine Thread:

Old 03-21-2005, 12:18 PM
Padawan

Mein Auto: 2004 330ci Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by darrylo
Alternatively, instead of (or in addition to) brake pads, try Klass AIO & SG. Does take a little work, though. See the detailing forum here:

I have a similar solution, but much less work! Yeah, I also had heard that regular wax was a no-no on wheels. I just use an OTC polymer/wash one-step spray (made for standard auto paint finishes, but I only use it on the wheels). After washing the car I just spray it on the wheels and dry. The real secret, however, is wiping them down often with this: Adam's Detail Spray. It's a super easy wipe-off-the-dust job, and it leaves the wheels slippery and smooth so nothing ever sticks. After more than eight months since my last wash, my wheels are still slick and spotless.

Also it's the best I've found for an all around detail spray, it's awesome stuff. And it smells like cotton candy.

But, I would still be interested in brake pads that give off less dust. Maybe I will investigate the brands mentioned.

--J.
2004|330ci|Convertible|Silver Grey Metallic|Sport Package|Premium Package|Steptronic|NAV|Xenon Adaptive Headlights|Heated Seats|Black Montana Leather|Aluminum Brushed Column Trim|SSR/GT3 19" Rims (original 18" Style 71's in storage)
Old 03-21-2005, 07:42 PM
Uber Olive Brain

Quote:
Originally Posted by F1Crazy
I agree that with moderately dirty wheels it's best to just use car shampoo but if they get really dirty use dedicated wheel cleaner. I like Eagle One's A2Z, BMW wheel cleaner and Meguiar's Hot Rims.
While a lot of people swear by Meg's Hot Rims, it's acidic (IIRC), and you're not supposed to get it on any brake parts (e.g., rotors, calipers, etc.). The issues seem to be:
  • If there's any clearcoat damage, the acid might eat away at the aluminum (the instructions do say to rinse it off after 15 seconds, after all, which might minimize any damage).
  • How do you not get it on any brake parts (unless you pull the wheels)???
I've got a bottle, but I'm not sure if I really want to use it. Maybe if you only use it once (and then keep the wheels clean using something else, like Klass)?
Old 03-21-2005, 08:21 PM

Mein Auto: '01 330Ci 5M SP '94 525i
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticBlue
I'm obsessive enough that I think about cleaning them every day, if not after every drive like JonathanIT, but I'm not ambitious enough to make it happen. Obsessive-Compulsive and Lazy; makes for some interesting conversations inside my head.
Old 03-21-2005, 11:26 PM
Super Moderator

Mein Auto: 2009 W906
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkh
Exactly right. He lucked out by having a sport package. If he had a performance package and mentioned this question, he had been stoned to death already.
Yeah, ditto. Next thing you know, there will be Sports Package gas threads, Sports Package rear view mirror question threads, etc. Sheesh, I mean where will it stop!?

- J.C. Watts Jr.
Old 03-22-2005, 12:19 AM
My TARDIS is a BMW

Mein Auto: '02 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by wingspan
Yeah, ditto. Next thing you know, there will be Sports Package gas threads, Sports Package rear view mirror question threads, etc. Sheesh, I mean where will it stop!?
What about all use Premium Package owners.... We need PP gas, PP blinker fluid, PP wax, PP headliner cleaner, PP rear view mirrors, etc., etc., etc.

Old 03-22-2005, 12:23 AM
Uber Olive Brain

Quote:
Originally Posted by operknockity
What about all use Premium Package owners.... We need PP gas, PP blinker fluid, PP wax, PP headliner cleaner, PP rear view mirrors, etc., etc., etc.
I don't think you have enuf PP.