Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)

E46 (1999 - 2006)
The fourth generation 3 Series (E46 chassis) was introduced in 1999 and set the standard for engineering and performance during it's years of production including being named to Car & Driver's 10 best list every one of those years! ! -- View the E46 Wiki

Old 03-21-2005, 01:09 PM
tony

Mein Auto: 02 325CiC
zhp shifting noises and feelings

On my new 05 330Ci zhp I noticed that every time I shift and let go the clutch (normal driving) while keeping the hand on the shifter, I feel through the stick lever a lite knock or tap right at the moment that the clutch engages. I feel this on every gear 2-6. Dealer says it is normal, but then who can trust them. I have never felt this on any other car I've had, and even on my last car which was another bmw (93 318i) with a short-shift kit.

I'd like to know if other people feel this as well? is it only pertinent to the ZHP "short" (more like medium long) throw or all 330's, all E46 manuals?

Thanks!!!!

Tony
Ads by Google
Old 03-21-2005, 01:20 PM
Rest in peace, Coach

Mein Auto: '06 MZ4C, '09 WRX Wagon
What you're feeling, is the transmission shifting slightly when the clutch engages. It is normal with almost all mechanical shifters (shifters with solid mechanical linkage, not cable based). One way to alleviate this problem is to use a solid tranny mount like what UUC offers, although that will introduce more noise and vibration into the car's cabin if not installed properly.

I would suggest you try test driving a couple of other ZHPs and see if same "problem" persist, if not then there may be something wrong with your linkage. I can't explain as to why it's not present on the 318i, except that part of the "kick" comes from the amount of torque the engine generates, and that on the 318i it's probably not as obvious as the 330i due to the difference in torque figures.
Old 03-21-2005, 01:24 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 3x330,AMV8,996GT2
I have the exact feeling when I continue to rest my hand on the shifter right after a shift. There are times when the feeling isn't there and I *believe* that's when I'm shifting quicker. I'm not sure about the last part, but the point is I get the same *click* feeling that you're describing
Old 03-21-2005, 01:51 PM
tony

Mein Auto: 02 325CiC
Quote:
Originally Posted by The HACK
What you're feeling, is the transmission shifting slightly when the clutch engages. It is normal with almost all mechanical shifters (shifters with solid mechanical linkage, not cable based). One way to alleviate this problem is to use a solid tranny mount like what UUC offers, although that will introduce more noise and vibration into the car's cabin if not installed properly.

I would suggest you try test driving a couple of other ZHPs and see if same "problem" persist, if not then there may be something wrong with your linkage. I can't explain as to why it's not present on the 318i, except that part of the "kick" comes from the amount of torque the engine generates, and that on the 318i it's probably not as obvious as the 330i due to the difference in torque figures.
Thanks. It does not bother me as long as it is not a defect that will eventually lead to some mechanical failure. BTW, I have also driven for a number of hours and a number of days 1998 & 1999 E36 M3's (family and friends), and 2003 330Xi and have never felt such a thing.... but then maybe I was not so conscious of every little detail.

Thanks for the reply

current stable:
02 BMW 325CiC
08 VW GTI
11 VW Touareg
95 Acura Integra

past:
05 BMW 330Ci ZHP
02 Chrysler T&C
93 BMW 318i
88 Honda Accord LXi
77 Datsun 280z
77 VW Rabbit
Old 03-21-2005, 02:09 PM
Rest in peace, Coach

By the way, continue to rest your hand on the shifter may lead to premature transmission wear and failure. Don't leave your hands on the shifter longer than you need to complete the shift...Certainly don't rest your hands on the knob while driving.

Of course, this wear and damage won't show up until 5 years later and some miles, but it's still a bad habit I'd advise against.

What I'd like to also stress, is that it is impossible for any of us online to exprience exactly what you describe on your car without driving it. What I may feel as a regular kick in the shifter from my car, may indeed be something wrong with your shifter. I would still strongly recommend you test drive a few ZHPs and see if the symptom persist, if not then you have a legitimate claim and you should bring it to the dealership's attention. It's always safer to error on the side of caution.
Old 03-21-2005, 03:07 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 3x330,AMV8,996GT2
I've read one long argument about resting the hand on the shifter on the 'fly but I just have never heard of a transmission failing because of it. With that said, I don't do it. People who add heavier shifting knobs probably have a bigger overall effect since the weight is always there.

I've also heard the story about not turning the steering wheel at a full stop. If that's the case, I'd never be able to get out of my parking spaces.
Old 03-21-2005, 04:24 PM
Praetorian

Mein Auto: 07 E92 335i 6MT
I don't have the ZHP, but my 04 330i has the exact same tranny as your car. I've noticed the same thing with my tranny, it feels a little clunky sometimes when you shift gears, sometimes I even notice that the whole car will slightly "jerk" when I select a gear and this is with the clutch all the way to the floor. Sometimes on the 3rd to 4th shift I can feel the syncros spinning and sometimes I don't. Usually the higher the rpm I shift at, the smoother the shifter works. I know how to drive stick, rev-matching and all that, and I never force the shifter or do any stupid stuff. My tranny is even noisy when the car is idleing to the point that you can clearly hear it. All of this the dealer says is normal. It really doesn't bother me and It probably sounds worse in this post then it actually is, but I am worried that something is wrong and will break eventually. Other then that the car is perfect. Maybe it really is normal, only time will tell.
Old 03-21-2005, 04:35 PM
Rest in peace, Coach

I have heard that if you use better transmission lubricant, like Redline or RoyalBlue, it will smooth out some of the odd clunks and clinks on the BMW manual transmission. My experience with Redline was slight improvement on the 323Ci.

Of course, if you switch to said fluid you MUST maintain it regularly, like switch it ever 30,000 miles or so. And some other posters have experienced the opposite, where their aftermarket fluids boiled under stress and had the transmission seize up on them. Do so at your own risk.