Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > Z Series > E36/7 Z3 (1996-2002)

E36/7 Z3 (1996-2002)
E36/7 Z3 Roadster, Z3 coupe, Z3 M Roadster and Z3 M Coupe talk with our gurus here.

Old 03-21-2005, 04:57 PM

Mein Auto: Z3C, Z3R, X5
'Nuther Q on disconnecting the seats; "Seat belt inserted" sensor..

The seat belt receiver that's mounted to the seat frame, that you snap your seat belt clip into every day (orange button)... It has a wire inside it that winds up actually inside the bottom seat cushion.

You can scoot the rubberized plastic accordian cover up or down.. to expose the goodies it covers. But, there are no connectors inside there. The wire in question comes from inside the seat cushion, pops out, then travels up inside the accordian cover, and then disappears into the seat belt receiver. We can find no quick disconnects anywhere. The seat belt receiver has no screws to take it apart with. We tried to gently pry it apart, in case it is a snap together part, but it really doesn't seem to like that. We're stuck, and don't want to break anything.

Do you guys know how to disconnect the thing? Everything else (seat heater wires, etc..) all came out pretty standard. This is the only wire still tethering to the seat bottom cushion.

My guess as to what it is, btw, is the wire to the sensor that tells the car whether the seat belt is inserted or not. The part that makes no sense at all with that theory, is that.... why would the wire go up into the seat bottom cushion, and not just down into the frame area and connect to the main wiring harness that way??

Tanks.

'02 Z3 Coupe 3.0i [Hellröt II - Walnuß]
'03 X5 3.0i [GrauGrün - Beige]
'01 Z3 Roadster 3.0i [AlpenWeiß - TraumRöt]
Advertisement
Old 03-21-2005, 07:51 PM
Learning to drive...

Send a message via AIM to fpa1974
Mein Auto: 02 M Cpe,03 325iT,05 330i
That wire in the seat might have an occupancy sensor on it. On the newer models - I do not know if Z3 has one - there is a pressure sensor in the seat cushion that tells the airbag module if there is anybody seating in the seat so the airbag should or should not be deployed in case of an accident.

Florian
368S/74