Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > 5 Series DIY

5 Series DIY
Knowledge Is Power! ~ The place for do-it-yourself threads on a variety of topics. Start a thread describing a particular job (oil change, cooling system overhaul, brakes, shocks and springs, etc.) or search for one you need help with!

Old 03-21-2005, 04:43 PM

Mein Auto: 2001 525i Dark Blue, Sand
Can Rain Sensor Wipers Be Retro-fitted?

I just bought an 2001 525i and love it, except I just figured out it does not have the sensor wipers. This car is now living in Seattle and after having the rain sensor on our Mini Cooper I want it on the BMW. Can this feature be aded?
Ads by Google
Old 03-21-2005, 04:47 PM
Brevity= the soul of wit

Mein Auto: You've*got*to be kidding
Quote:
Originally Posted by arunder
I just bought an 2001 525i and love it, except I just figured out it does not have the sensor wipers. This car is now living in Seattle and after having the rain sensor on our Mini Cooper I want it on the BMW. Can this feature be aded?
Tyrone has done this on his '97. The best thing you've got going for you is that your car is an '01 and it was offered on other models that same year.

On his '97, he had to replace the windshield as the sensor is actually integrated into the area where the rear view mirror fastens. You can look for a small dot in the blue area to see if your windshield might have the sensor already installed. If it is, you may only need some coding and the odd part here and there. If not, you'll at least have to start with a rain sensor enabled windshield.

If that doesn't curb your enthusiasm, go for a new windshield with the comfort glass. Supposed to have some cool film between the panes that deflects UV rays and decreases cabin heat.

Also, read your manual. I would be surprised if even the base model 525's didnt have rain sensing wipers in '01. I could see it though if the car doesnt have premium package. Do you have the high OBC? you can tell if the dash readout is more verbose and if it tells you things like range to empty, avg MPG, avg speed and if you can prgram it with the radio.

Last edited by PropellerHead; 03-21-2005 at 04:51 PM.
Old 03-21-2005, 04:59 PM
Moderator, 5-Series

Mein Auto: Trek 6500 MTB
FYI, that comfort glass will not allow any sort of radar detector within your car to work. The 'comfort' part of the glass is conductive and radar will not penetrate it very well.
Old 03-21-2005, 04:59 PM

Mein Auto: 2001 525i Dark Blue, Sand
It has the Premium , Cold Weather & Convenience Package

I have read the list a couple of times and the manual has "*" by rain sensor, as in optional equipment. If I need a new windshield I will be waiting awhile for the rain sensor.