BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

New custom exhaust issues

2K views 34 replies 7 participants last post by  enigmo08 
#1 ·
Drove home today and inside it sounds very loud and almost vibrating. Had DP put on, mid pipes, mufflers. Is this simply the DP making all this freaking noise inside the car or is this awful drone. I even had the radio turned up and could hear it! Could there be something else I'm missing? A leak maybe or muffler hitting heat shield?? :dunno: All I know is that I hate it! I will take it back asap and see what the fabricator thinks. Any thoughts?

#2 ·
Shouldn't be any vibrating. Id go back to the shop just to have them take a look. Ask one of them to sit in the car and start it while ones under checking for anything hitting.

Edit: Some exhaust are obviously louder than others so if you tell us which exhaust and DP you have that would help also.

#3 · (Edited)
It's a custom exhaust, 2 straight pipe, no resonators, 2 small mufflers. All I can really say. VRSF is DP...HOWEVER when I got it there was a small crack at the V connection. Fan tech welded it back no problem, tested it for leaks...no leaks at all BUT this could still obviously be the problem. I will definitely take it back and have them look at it.

I was also wondering since this is my first DP could it simply be just the DP. Probably not but bottom line is I am miserable. :bawling:

#4 · (Edited)
I don't understand. You wanted custom exhaust, probably one of large diameter........these are the consequence.

It's loud because it should be? This is what you decided when you went with custom exhaust and straight pipes.

I'm afraid there is no solution as there is no problem. Any exhaust with straight pipes, on ANY car will be loud as hell. Especially when you have "small mufflers".

#5 ·
I suppose you're are right. I just have to get used to DP is all. It's the loud vibration feeling inside the cabin while driving is annoying. I will check with my tech this morning about the possibility of putting on resonators. Might be the fix. We'll see...

#6 ·
I've never been in a car with straight pipes that wasn't loud and obnoxious.

It's cool and all when you are young, but as you mature it just becomes annoying hehe.

Resonators might help, bigger mufflers might as well.

I usually recommend getting exhaust that's made for the car (none custom) that you can hear prior to purchase (from other people).

#9 ·
Spoke to my guy and explained what I was hearing/feeling and he said more than likely need "J" pipes put on before the mufflers which are capped. Frequency trick to eliminate the sound and vibration. Mentioned resonators as well but he said more than likely the J pipes will fix my issue. We shall see... going there Saturday after my tune to have him drive around with me. Ahhh... I can breathe a little better now. I was about to have a psychotic episode. :rofl:

#13 ·
Inside the cabin it just sounds too loud and vibrates. Drone, vibration type feeling...Mid pipes more than likely. See if J pipes fixes it first...

#11 ·
Just put my VSFR DP on, no drone or vibrations with the Corsa axle back mufflers.

#17 ·
That sounds really good! Very similar to a previous Borla Atak I had on a F30. No DP just stock exhaust. I should have taken a vid of my cold start this morning. :rofl: The neighbor walking his dog just looked at me like I had 2 heads. It was great. Obviously too loud so I will address this hiccup and get her dialed in. Hoping the J pipes are the fix.:thumbup:

#18 ·
I will have on track with my DP video this weekend. Hitting Atlanta Motorsports Park on Saturday. Test out some new upgrades.

#24 ·
I had magnaflows installed on my car, had a pretty unbearable drone in the 1900-2200rpm range till I installed J pipes, now the car is much quieter. Almost no drone and the car is still loud. I would go J pipes first as well and if they are big enough they will cancel most of the drone issues. Picture for reference...

Sent with my carrier pigeon

#25 ·
I'm hoping the J pipes will be the fix. My tech also said to do this first instead of putting on resonators. He also said BMW's have this tendency to produce drone for some reason. I will soon find out.

#31 ·
Yet another fix in the mix going to happen probably Wednesday. New idea is to be to weld 2 resonators right after exhaust splits to mufflers. Resonators welded to muffler and capped off. Apparent idea given by tuner as he did it and eliminated all drone on his car. So here we go again. Hoping this does the trick so I can be done with this finally!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.