Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > Everything Else > Off-Topic

Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime safe" and in good taste. No personal attacks allowed. Political posting is restricted to the Political Science forum!

Old 07-10-2002, 10:17 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: fu
Why do so many whiny idiot people sue so quickly.

What has happened to the culture of America? Why is it that some woman, can spill a drop of coffee on herself, and make a million dollars by suing McDonalds? Why is the crime rate in certain city going sky high because police are afraid to pursue blacks, in fear they will get fired for being racist due to ACLU and other activists suing left and right? Why can a mother sue a school, because she claims her over fed over weight kid, feels sad when he doesnt do good at tag? Resulting in the banning of the harmless game tag?

The list of frivolous law suits filed in America grows by leaps and bounds every day. Is there a reason why? I say yes. I blame this horrible trend in American society, on the inability of a growing number of Americans to claim responsibility for anything. There is a signifigant number of people in America who fall under the category of irresponsibility, ignorant, dishonest, exploitative, back-stabbing... the list goes on. I personally blame this trend on the civil rights activists, who will encourage anyone to sue as long as your feelings are hurt. This is getting ridiculous people. We cowards, making millions prosecuting honest people, and corporations, and institutions, just in order to make their fortune. There is a percentage of folks, who even look for a reason to sue.

I get tired of hearing, day after day, of frivolous lawsuits. Here are a few examples of some extreme cases. Just to prove that there are these people out there.

People are making Billions from cigarette companies, when everyone knows about cancer. These idiots choose to smoke, then sue. Or a stupid family member sues because thier dad smoked for 50 years, even choose to smoke after he learned that he would die, not could, but would die. Take responsibility people!

In Ohio prison system alone "Frivolous lawsuits filed by prisoners cost Ohio over $1 million last year alone. That's cruel and unusual punishment for taxpayers," Stated Attorney General Betty D. Montgomery. She provided a list of outrageous lawsuits the inmates sued far, including: inmates suing the state for denying their "constitutional" right to have a Zen mind control machine, correspondence classes in sexology, soap on a rope, and to wear sunglasses.

Give me a break. You coward betwetters out there, suing at the drop of a hat, need to toughen up, and do it fast. There is no room for people like you in a society, that believe it or not, used to work on the honor system. This is just a new form of thief. We used to be able to leave our windows, and doors unlocked at night. We used to be able to leave our car running when we enter the store. And now this, We cannot even leave our house. In fear that some crying coward, looking to make a buck or two the easy way, may sue if you look at them funny, and hurt their feelings.
Old 07-10-2002, 10:24 AM
TD

Mein Auto:
Methinks 'Mo is trolling for another argument. Bored 'Mo?
Old 07-10-2002, 10:33 AM

Re: Re: Why do so many whiny idiot people sue so quickly.

Quote:
Originally posted by EugieBaange
Why? Because they know they can win.
Why? Because it sure is an easy way out... it's like playing the lottery.
Why? Because of our current prevalent PC culture.
I agree that we have become way too litigious but, as with most -everything?- in life, it's complicated.

Cigarettes, for example. The advertising is aimed at the young before they have a real concept of death and cancer. Just make the ciggies look cool and exciting. Why, they're just like candy.
I guess it could be said that the tabacco companies should be held liable because they, too, know they are marketing death.

As for the old man continuing to smoke even as he knows it's killing him, have you ever smoked? I mean had a serious nicotine addiction? I've done a lot of things in my life but I never did anything that even remotely compared to a nicotine addiction.

Your right, cigarette companies deserves to be sued for marketing to kids. But they should not be sued for an adult who refuses to quit.

I smoked for 6 years, age 14 to 20 roughly. It was tough to quit, I did do it, by cold turkey finally. And, damn am I glad I did. So i can relate to people claiming it is hard. But it is not impossible, and it is not worth dying over, and if you choose to do it. You dig your own grave IMHO.
Old 07-10-2002, 10:46 AM

I failed to mention the lawyers part in accepting some of these cases.
Old 07-10-2002, 11:03 AM
Account closed at users request

Mein Auto:
Anytime you have a nation that has more lawyers than doctors, you have a serious problem. Incidently, Europeans laugh at us and our law suits...time to "look in the mirror America" (I know you love that "Self analysis" line Eugie! )
Old 07-10-2002, 11:37 AM
O.G.

Mein Auto: 2011 MDX, 2001 330xi
The sad truth is that we have turned into a culture where many people think that a lawsuit is their path to riches. Here are a few examples (and only concerning transportation), but there are hundreds/thousands more:

people in Baltimore ran onto a city bus after it was involved in a minor accident to fake injuries in hope for a payoff

people regularly run and fall in front of cars involved in accidents and then claim they were hit

Old 07-10-2002, 12:05 PM
OMGWTFBBQ

Mein Auto:
Quote:
Originally posted by dredmo
I failed to mention the lawyers part in accepting some of these cases.
Accepting cases is not any more of a problem than retailers that sell tobacco products. Soliciting cases is a different matter.

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
Old 07-10-2002, 12:16 PM
Senior Slacker

Mein Auto: 9A1
Quote:
Originally posted by Ripsnort
Anytime you have a nation that has more lawyers than doctors, you have a serious problem. Incidently, Europeans laugh at us and our law suits...time to "look in the mirror America" (I know you love that "Self analysis" line Eugie! )

For the record I only do defense work and I agree too many people are too quick to sue over matters that could be better resolved in other forums.

Old 07-10-2002, 12:22 PM
Brilliant!

Mein Auto: 2001 325xi StahlcGrau
Quote:
Originally posted by vexed

For the record I only do defense work and I agree too many people are too quick to sue over matters that could be better resolved in other forums.
C'mon vexed...we know this is the "real" you

"It's a very sobering feeling to be up in space and realize that one's safety factor was determined by the lowest bidder on a government contract."
-- Alan Shepard
Old 07-10-2002, 12:26 PM
Senior Slacker

Quote:
Originally posted by Mike 325xi

Nice picture of your SUV

Old 07-10-2002, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Clyde@work

Accepting cases is not any more of a problem than retailers that sell tobacco products. Soliciting cases is a different matter.
Your right but you make it sound less serious than it is.

Lawyers accepting these cases is a morale and value failure.
Any establishment selling cigarettes to kids is a morale and value failure.

I think lawyers should be held accountable for accepting asinine cases.
Old 07-10-2002, 12:38 PM
The Original Dr. Phil

Send a message via AIM to Dr. Phil
Mein Auto: 2012 135 coupe
Quote:
Originally posted by Mike 325xi

That guy's legs are too big to big Vexed
Old 07-10-2002, 12:39 PM
The Original Dr. Phil

Quote:

Nice picture of your SUV
Hey Mr. my wife drives an Explorer..............

Old 07-10-2002, 12:41 PM
Senior Slacker

Quote:

Your right but you make it sound less serious than it is.

Lawyers accepting these cases is a morale and value failure.
Any establishment selling cigarettes to kids is a morale and value failure.

I think lawyers should be held accountable for accepting asinine cases.
Under the "American" rule each side in a lawsuit pays their own attorney's fees--with some important exceptions. But there is very little in the way of disincentives for a lawyer to file a case that is bogus, yes the Court can sanction them but that is rare. The reality of the system is most companies get hijacked into settling cases that have little or no merit to avoid the expense and time. In my area because there are attorney's fees awarded if the Plaintiff wins (he wins $1.00 his lawyer claims $100,000) the hijacking is worse.

Old 07-10-2002, 12:44 PM
Senior Slacker

Quote:
Originally posted by PM 325xiT

Hey Mr. my wife drives an Explorer..............

And she just loves it, and really loved watching me wax it for her.

Old 07-10-2002, 12:48 PM
The Original Dr. Phil

Quote:

And she just loves it, and really loved watching me wax it for her.
From a nice chaise lounge sipping a cool drink too I bet

I guess she's already getting a lot of use out of her
Old 07-10-2002, 12:49 PM

Quote:

Under the "American" rule each side in a lawsuit pays their own attorney's fees--with some important exceptions. But there is very little in the way of disincentives for a lawyer to file a case that is bogus, yes the Court can sanction them but that is rare. The reality of the system is most companies get hijacked into settling cases that have little or no merit to avoid the expense and time. In my area because there are attorney's fees awarded if the Plaintiff wins (he wins $1.00 his lawyer claims $100,000) the hijacking is worse.
well, see that is another thing. Corporations allow themselves to be cowed around

Look at Jessie Jackson, getting corps to give him millions by claiming he will yell racist, and boy cott... thats extortion
Old 07-10-2002, 12:51 PM
Senior Slacker

Quote:

From a nice chaise lounge sipping a cool drink too I bet

I guess she's already getting a lot of use out of her
That's for later.......

Old 07-10-2002, 12:52 PM
The Original Dr. Phil

Quote:

That's for later.......

TMI But if you insist on sharing pictures
Old 07-10-2002, 12:54 PM
Senior Slacker

Quote:

well, see that is another thing. Corporations allow themselves to be cowed around

Look at Jessie Jackson, getting corps to give him millions by claiming he will yell racist, and boy cott... thats extortion
You are right, they look at it as the cost of doing business. And insurance companies exacerbate the problem by looking at every case simply in terms of dollars, if it is cheaper to settle they do. But no company wants to be splattered on the front page when they lose a big one, if they win it is not newsworthy.

Old 07-10-2002, 12:55 PM
The Original Dr. Phil

Quote:

You are right, they look at it as the cost of doing business. And insurance companies exacerbate the problem by looking at every case simply in terms of dollars, if it is cheaper to settle they do. But no company wants to be splattered on the front page when they lose a big one, if they win it is not newsworthy.
Maybe you're not a vampire after all You have shared a good side of a lawyer which I thought was as rare as Alee's fish dinner
Old 07-10-2002, 12:56 PM
Senior Slacker

Quote:

TMI But if you insist on sharing pictures
I meant for later--when she wants me to do some housework too.

Old 07-10-2002, 12:58 PM
Ex-Neighbor to the American Taliban

Mein Auto: nothing
Quote:

Isn't that capitalism at work?
Old 07-10-2002, 12:59 PM
The Original Dr. Phil

Quote:

I meant for later--when she wants me to do some housework too.
LMAO

One month and you're as hen pecked as I am after 11 years
Old 07-10-2002, 01:03 PM
Senior Slacker

Quote:
Originally posted by DaveN323i

Isn't that capitalism at work?
In some ways....you can also look at it as the redistribution of wealth. I did think it is obscene the fees the lawyers got in the tobacco settlement.