Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > General BMW

General BMW
Use this forum to talk about general BMW news/stories and to chat with fellow enthusiasts about the direction that BMW is going in for their cars and/or motorcycles!

Old 03-24-2005, 05:55 PM
Matching beemer & bimmer

Mein Auto: 1999 K1200 & 2001 525
How do we DELETE personal info when we sell our BMW

How do you DELETE your personal information held by BMW when you no longer own your BMW vehicle?

BACKGROUND:
- I recently purchased a BMW automobile
- I asked for a "Vehicle History Report" at the local dealership as part of thread: http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=92098
- I was horrified to see the previous owner's personal contact info on that BMW Vehicle History Report!

I wasn't horrified for me; I was horrified for her - the previous owner.
Why should I have any right to this information?
More importantly (for me), how do I prevent others from getting my personal information after I sell my BMW.

(No. Keeping the BMW vehicle forever is not the answer I'm looking for.)
Ads by Google
Old 03-24-2005, 07:08 PM
I know a thing or two...

Mein Auto: '13 BMW 335xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaftdrive
How do you DELETE your personal information held by BMW when you no longer own your BMW vehicle?

BACKGROUND:
- I recently purchased a BMW automobile
- I asked for a "Vehicle History Report" at the local dealership as part of thread: http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=92098
- I was horrified to see the previous owner's personal contact info on that BMW Vehicle History Report!

I wasn't horrified for me; I was horrified for her - the previous owner.
Why should I have any right to this information?
More importantly (for me), how do I prevent others from getting my personal information after I sell my BMW.

(No. Keeping the BMW vehicle forever is not the answer I'm looking for.)
Your dealer was quite careless in not removing the name and address. It is standard procedure for the dealer to remove this info before giving the report out to anyone. Obviously, they don't have a clue as to what is going on.

If you notify BMWNA that you no longer own the car, they'll take your name off.
Old 03-26-2005, 03:08 AM
M Mad

Mein Auto: M Roadster/M3
Also that info is normall over written when they update with te current owner info.

'95 Alpine M3 LTW
'00 Dakar M Roadster
'02 Topaz M3
Red/White SRF #4 (Chassis 561)
Old 03-27-2005, 11:44 AM

Mein Auto: 525i
It's overwritten ONLY if the new owner adds it.
Old 03-27-2005, 04:59 PM
I know a thing or two...

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbeemer
It's overwritten ONLY if the new owner adds it.
Not true.
Old 03-27-2005, 06:55 PM
Matching beemer & bimmer

Does BMW have a central ownership system?

From what I can tell, the owner I purchased the BMW from was NOT listed on the Vehicle History Report as the owner (the original owner who bought from a dealership was listed).

So, it appears your personal information may only be overwritten when an owner takes an overt move to overwrite it (in the USA at least).

Personally, based solely on my conversations with BMW North America, I have very serious doubts the information is overwritten so what I'd do when I sell my little BMW in a year or two is:
- I would not tell ask BMW to erase my info (see why above)
- I would not trust the new owner to overwrite my info (see why above)
- I would call and give false information as a new false owner

Even then, I wonder if each dealer has a SEPARATE PERSONAL DATABASE!

For example, I changed the ownership information at the local DEALER but the BMW NORTH AMERICA representative (two days later) still had the OLD INFORMATION (i.e., the first owner).

DOES BMW maintain a central system?

Or do we need to provide this fake information to all the dealerships associated with the BMW?
Old 03-27-2005, 07:01 PM
I know a thing or two...

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaftdrive
From what I can tell, the owner I purchased the BMW from was NOT listed on the Vehicle History Report as the owner (the original owner who bought from a dealership was listed).

So, it appears your personal information may only be overwritten when an owner takes an overt move to overwrite it (in the USA at least).

Personally, based solely on my conversations with BMW North America, I have very serious doubts the information is overwritten so what I'd do when I sell my little BMW in a year or two is:
- I would not tell ask BMW to erase my info (see why above)
- I would not trust the new owner to overwrite my info (see why above)
- I would call and give false information as a new false owner

Even then, I wonder if each dealer has a SEPARATE PERSONAL DATABASE!

For example, I changed the ownership information at the local DEALER but the BMW NORTH AMERICA representative (two days later) still had the OLD INFORMATION (i.e., the first owner).

DOES BMW maintain a central system?

Or do we need to provide this fake information to all the dealerships associated with the BMW?

The BMWNA database is updated when someone at BMWNA changes the info, or when a BMW dealership retails the car and updates the information after delivery.

On top of that, each dealer has its own internal database where it keeps your records. If they update your info in their database, it will not show up on BMWNA's system. The dealer has to enter a retail entry on that car to update the owner info. They can only do this if they sell the car. If you buy it private party or from a non-BMW dealer, the BMW dealer can not update the info, you need BMWNA to do it.
Old 03-27-2005, 08:11 PM
Matching beemer & bimmer

Thank you for the prompt and detailed reply (I like those the best!)

If I assimilate all the information above correctly, then my admittedly ugly recommendation at the moment (subject to stand or fall on its own merits) is:

DEALERSHIP SALE:

a) If you sold/traded your BMW to the dealership ...
b) And you KNOW the dealership resold the car to a private buyer ...

c) Then you do not need to remove your personal information.

PRIVATE SALE:
a) If you sold your BMW to the to a private buyer or another dealer ...
b) Then you
(apparently) have no way of knowing whether your personal information remains ...
c) So, does BIMMERFEST recommend adding fake ownership information so that our real personal information is definately overwritten?

Or is there a better Bimmerfest-recommended method of protecting our private information?

Last edited by shaftdrive; 03-27-2005 at 08:14 PM.
Old 03-30-2005, 04:02 AM
M Mad

Mein Auto: M Roadster/M3
Like you can't find the info out from CarFax and Google? Or the state DMV? Or many other places.

'95 Alpine M3 LTW
'00 Dakar M Roadster
'02 Topaz M3
Red/White SRF #4 (Chassis 561)