BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Antifreeze smell long after repair normal?

4K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  asus389 
#1 · (Edited)
I have had two repairs on my e90 that involved the cooling system. About a year ago BMW replaced the thermostat because it was leaking slowly. Then, several months after, my AC evaporator leaked and was replaced. During the AC repair, they had to disconnect the heater hoses from the firewall.

The thing is, I *still* smell antifreeze in the engine bay. To my nose it smells like its coming from the top of the radiator on the passenger side, but I guess it could be anything in that area (hoses, water pump, etc). I took it back 2 or 3 times and they say there is no leak anymore. They have hosed down the engine bay several times. Yet every time I drive the car, I get the antifreeze odor.

Following the repair of the AC its the same thing. I get antifreeze smell on the driver side from the area under where the power steering reservoir is. I don't see any hose connections there, but I do see two heater lines run through that area and there is a clip to the side of the engine bay. Again, according to BMW no leaks apparent, area washed multiple times, yet antifreeze odor persists after several months.

This can't be normal, can it? BMW runs a pressure test according to their procedure and says no leaks. But if its not leaking, why am I still smelling it months to a year later? In fact, if I spill antifreeze on purpose near the reservoir I don't even really smell it for more than a couple days and it certainly goes away if I flush it down with water.

Is there something else that can be done to get to the bottom of this?

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
Are you loosing any coolant?

I checked mine (in the morning when engine is cool) ~6 month ago and recently and level is the same...

I had similar thing about a year ago or so - but I was loosing - had to add maybe a cup every other month and BMW tested 2x with "no leak found " result...
I was still on warranty so it didn't cost me anything but warranty was about to expire...
So, after I saw that I am loosing a bit again I did the bad thing - Sucked about a cup of coolant - until low coolant light came on, went back to them and firmly said - there is low coolant again and I strongly believe that there is a leak because I loose coolant and if you tested and couldn't detect which only means you did not do this job right...I am not taking it back until you find the problem
Next day they call me that they found the leak around the reservoir - replaced it and tight since... So they likely did not bother to pressurize and hold for multiple hours as procedure calls for.. Pressurized- didn't see anything spraying - NTF...

#4 · (Edited)
Yes I lose coolant. Its very slow. It takes a couple months to get noticeably low. I have suggested to the BMW dealer that they use UV dye on multiple occasions. For some reason they won't do it. Not sure why. I guess the question is, if I put dye in there, will they then refuse to fix the problem because it isn't in their "official diagnosis chart"?

#5 · (Edited)
Yes I lose coolant. Its very slow. It takes a couple months to get noticeably low. I have suggested to the BMW dealer that they use UV dye on multiple occasions. For some reason they won't do it. Not sure why. I guess the question is, if I put dye in there, will they then refuse to fix the problem because it isn't in their "official diagnosis chart"?
OMG! OMG! OMG!

You gave it up to a BMW dealer.......outta warranty?!?!?!?!?!

Dude! Find a reputable Indy - ask around on forums and your local BMW car club. HE will use dye, if you ask. And if dye's a no-show, you know where coolant's going....just shine the light into yer tail pipe.

Bone Skull Illustration Sticker Emblem

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.