Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)

X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)
The X5 SAV Forum

Old 03-29-2005, 05:57 AM

Mein Auto: X5 3.0iSport
<newbie>: Check Brake lights

Hi

Only picked up my used X5 on Friday 25th March 2005. Love the car - best I've ever bought so far.

Unfortunately got the "Check Brake lights/Check Tail lights" message on the dashboard on Sunday.

I've bought replacement bulbs and have unscrewed the bulb holders from the taillight fitting - but all the filaments look OK. I have changed the bulbs but no difference.

Maybe its a fuse problem ??

I've found one fuse box located close to the right taillight fitting - but none of the fusebox places are defined as being allocated to the taillights?

Is there another fusebox I should be looking for?

Or am I on the wrong track - could it be some other problem?

Any help much appreciated

Thanks
Paul
Advertisement
Old 03-29-2005, 06:43 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2001 X5 3.0i
how old is the car? u probably have burn spots on the bulb holder, just sand a little bit. I noticed the my bulb is actually a little loose in the holder. i adjusted it a little bit, which seemed to make it a little more snug. So far, its alright.
Old 03-29-2005, 06:54 AM

Thx for the quick reply.

I've examined the metal contacts on the holder - they all look fine. The car was registered late 2002.

I thought that perhaps one of the contacts wasn't connecting properly - so I bent them a little to provide better contract - but - all to no avail.

Is there a fuse specifically for the right side tail light ? The RHS tail indicator works fine (UK car) - but the stop light and tail light are not working? Different fuses perhaps?

Thx in advance again
Paul
Old 03-29-2005, 10:42 AM

Mein Auto: 2001 X5 3.0i
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulmcgrath
Thx for the quick reply.

I've examined the metal contacts on the holder - they all look fine. The car was registered late 2002.

I thought that perhaps one of the contacts wasn't connecting properly - so I bent them a little to provide better contract - but - all to no avail.

Is there a fuse specifically for the right side tail light ? The RHS tail indicator works fine (UK car) - but the stop light and tail light are not working? Different fuses perhaps?

Thx in advance again
Paul
i guarantee its not a fuse issue. ur having loose contact between bulb/holder/housing
Old 03-29-2005, 11:22 AM

Mein Auto: '03 4.6iS
This is very common problem in BMW vehicles. Like vinu_neuro said, it's the contacts. Drive down to your local BMW parts counter and buy 2 new bulb socket. Guarantee to fix your problem on first try!
Old 03-29-2005, 11:02 PM
Welcomed to the 'Fest!

Mein Auto: X5 & E90
Welcome to the club! To echo the others, yes, I too have had this problem. It's annoying but easy to resolve.

Enjoy your new X5 and be sure to read up about it at X5 World .
Old 03-30-2005, 03:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinu_neuro
i guarantee its not a fuse issue. ur having loose contact between bulb/holder/housing
Thx VN

Before reading your reply - I checked the fuses....you're right - its not the fuses

I played with twisting the bulb holders in their housing and managed to get one of the lights to work. The stop light however I could only get a very very faint light from. I've spoken to the dealer today - and he's sorting something out - as the car is under warranty.

Thx again (everyone) for the help

Cheers
Paul
Old 03-30-2005, 08:39 AM
SJU Hawk ! Goin' Big!

Send a message via AIM to TSAGG
Mein Auto: '06 BMW 330i sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulmcgrath
Thx VN

Before reading your reply - I checked the fuses....you're right - its not the fuses

I played with twisting the bulb holders in their housing and managed to get one of the lights to work. The stop light however I could only get a very very faint light from. I've spoken to the dealer today - and he's sorting something out - as the car is under warranty.

Thx again (everyone) for the help

Cheers
Paul

I just had this happen with my 2002.....sockets need to be replaced...car may still be under warranty. They fixed mine for free.

2002 X5 3.0 Sport Package, Premium, Cold Weather, Steel Gray w/ Black Leather (sold)
1997 328is - sport pkg. (retired)
2006 330i Sport, NAV, Prem, Active steering, etc., etc.
1970 Corvette Convertible, 350 ci, 300 hp, 4 sp