Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)

X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)
The X5 SAV Forum

Old 03-29-2005, 02:44 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 330i
Ipod question.

I am confused as to the installation of the ipod on my 05 X5, I was under the impression it was a simple plug and play thing, as the IPOD/BMW commercials make it sound. By looking at the x5 world installation instructions, it seems awefully hard. What is the difference between the proper way to install the ipod and the via cassette way? Sound? Somehow i thought installing it the BMW way would get rid off cables? I don't know what i was thinking...
Ads by Google
Old 03-29-2005, 04:36 PM

Mein Auto: 2003 X5 3.0
Lots of previous posts, here and elsewhere. All of the connections will require a cable, that is an Apple limitation (unless you go the FM route, and that won't charge the IPod).

1) Aux input from BMW, connect to one of several line-in adaptors with chargers (ie Belkin), and have good sound, but your only steering wheel control will be for volume. Realize that you may find yourself squinting at an IPod screen while driving (drive safely). Do it yourself, or have BMW dealer do it for you.

2) BMW IPod adaptor, some issues around compatibility with various model years, with/without nav, etc. Charges IPod. Steering wheel controls now include change track +/-, and you have up to 5 playlists. Do it yourself, or have BMW dealer do it for you.

3) Dension IceLink Plus, works with nav/etc with appropriate kit. Charges IPod, steering wheel controls include change track, you have playlists, and now you can get text display for song title and artist. Do it yourself, or have someone (not BMW dealer) do it for you. Info at www.densionusa.com

4) A number of other IceLink clones, including Monster ICruze. Not much info on these yet, all are fairly new. Seems like text display will require a separate display, but YMMV. If you do it, let us know how it works out.

5) FM transmitter. Suitable only for rental cars, interference can be a problem (finding a clear frequency). Avoid, IMO.

6) Cassette adaptor. Also suitable for (some) rental cars. Do you want a cable hanging out of your stereo on your new X5?. Sound is better than FM transmitter, worse than direct line in. Separate line to IPod for charging

Recommendation: I have the IceLink Plus on my X5, the sound is great, and I wanted the steering wheel controls. I have text display (although it isn't perfect, spaces are shown as underscores, etc). The product is still in development (text display is Beta software). I would do it again. I brought the cable up through a cupholder and lobster tray, sit the IPod on the tray, and cover it with the sliding cover to keep it safe while parked.

Jeff

Retired:
2003 X5 3.0 auto, Premium, Titanium Silver
2004 Z4 3.0 SMG, Sport, Premium, Maldives Blue
2002 325xi 5 MT, Steel Grey
Old 03-29-2005, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcl10
Lots of previous posts, here and elsewhere. All of the connections will require a cable, that is an Apple limitation (unless you go the FM route, and that won't charge the IPod).

1) Aux input from BMW, connect to one of several line-in adaptors with chargers (ie Belkin), and have good sound, but your only steering wheel control will be for volume. Realize that you may find yourself squinting at an IPod screen while driving (drive safely). Do it yourself, or have BMW dealer do it for you.

2) BMW IPod adaptor, some issues around compatibility with various model years, with/without nav, etc. Charges IPod. Steering wheel controls now include change track +/-, and you have up to 5 playlists. Do it yourself, or have BMW dealer do it for you.

3) Dension IceLink Plus, works with nav/etc with appropriate kit. Charges IPod, steering wheel controls include change track, you have playlists, and now you can get text display for song title and artist. Do it yourself, or have someone (not BMW dealer) do it for you. Info at www.densionusa.com

4) A number of other IceLink clones, including Monster ICruze. Not much info on these yet, all are fairly new. Seems like text display will require a separate display, but YMMV. If you do it, let us know how it works out.

5) FM transmitter. Suitable only for rental cars, interference can be a problem (finding a clear frequency). Avoid, IMO.

6) Cassette adaptor. Also suitable for (some) rental cars. Do you want a cable hanging out of your stereo on your new X5?. Sound is better than FM transmitter, worse than direct line in. Separate line to IPod for charging

Recommendation: I have the IceLink Plus on my X5, the sound is great, and I wanted the steering wheel controls. I have text display (although it isn't perfect, spaces are shown as underscores, etc). The product is still in development (text display is Beta software). I would do it again. I brought the cable up through a cupholder and lobster tray, sit the IPod on the tray, and cover it with the sliding cover to keep it safe while parked.

Jeff

Wow! lots of useful information. Thank you very much.
Old 03-29-2005, 09:54 PM
Welcomed to the 'Fest!

Mein Auto: X5 & E90
Quote:
Originally Posted by king of trolls
I am confused as to the installation of the ipod on my 05 X5, I was under the impression it was a simple plug and play thing, as the IPOD/BMW commercials make it sound. By looking at the x5 world installation instructions, it seems awefully hard. What is the difference between the proper way to install the ipod and the via cassette way? Sound? Somehow i thought installing it the BMW way would get rid off cables? I don't know what i was thinking...
The iPodYourBMW kit is not really that hard to install. I just made the instructions super detailed so that no one would be surprised by what they encountered. I have been using it quite happily although I do wish that I had more control over the song than just 5 playlists and the entire iPod's HD. I wind up using the "Disc 6" option which just plays all songs and setting it to random play. There is supposed to be an improved version coming out that will display ID3 tags and hopefully give users more control. I like the intergration of it and that it's a BMW backed thing.

People seem to be happy with the Icelink or auxiliary input method. That you can do yourself with some help from my instructions for taking out the stereo.

Do not go with any sort of FM transmitter or cassette adapter. It'll make your iPod sound like turd.
Old 04-12-2005, 09:21 PM

Mein Auto: 2004 X5 3.0i
ID3 tags would be great. Do you have any more info on this new version? I don't want to buy it if the new one will come out soon.
Old 04-12-2005, 09:24 PM

Mein Auto: 2004 X5 3.0i
Can you explain what the kit actually does?
To my understanding is that after install, I can just leave the IPOD in the glove box and let it stay there and charge.
I can control the songs through my radio controls.
How about the sound quality? Is it good? I'm thinking it should be good.
I have the Bekin? FM transmintter and it's not that good.
Old 04-12-2005, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by benathon
Can you explain what the kit actually does?
To my understanding is that after install, I can just leave the IPOD in the glove box and let it stay there and charge.
I can control the songs through my radio controls.
How about the sound quality? Is it good? I'm thinking it should be good.
I have the Bekin? FM transmintter and it's not that good.
Do you mean the IPod-Your-BMW kit? Yes, you can leave it in the glovebox and let it charge. Same with the Dension. With both of these options, you can change tracks +/- and volume, plus choose 1 of 5 playlists, through the radio controls. Sound is CD quality, if your MP3s are ripped at sufficiently high quality. It will be much better than the FM transmitter.

Withe the Aux input, you need to use a charger in the cigarette lighter in the passenger footwell (eg Belkin), and then you can leave the IPod in the glovebox if you want, but you need to access it to control it. Radio controls only work for volume in this case. Sound quality is the same as the previous two options.

At this time, only the Dension displays text tags for song/artist. The BMW kit is rumoured to be upgraded at some point, but there has been no announcement to my knowledge. When and if it comes out, you may or may not require new hardware.

Jeff

Retired:
Old 04-12-2005, 10:21 PM
ggcbmwcca.org Member

Mein Auto: 2005 X5 4.4
Quote:
I agree with everyone. Keep in mind though that with many of the installations you will
lose the use of your CD changer if you have one installed. I choose the Aux input option
because it allows me all of the options, The CD changer,The ipod, The cassette player. ( I still have a lot of them). I kept the CD Changer because I have digital CD's that sounds so much better than the ipod. But thats just me. As far as operating the iPod
with the aux input some have run the wire up to the cup holder area which allows easy access to the iPod
Old 04-12-2005, 11:55 PM

Mein Auto: 2001 X5 3.0i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quicksilver
I agree with everyone. Keep in mind though that with many of the installations you will
lose the use of your CD changer if you have one installed. I choose the Aux input option
because it allows me all of the options, The CD changer,The ipod, The cassette player. ( I still have a lot of them). I kept the CD Changer because I have digital CD's that sounds so much better than the ipod. But thats just me. As far as operating the iPod
with the aux input some have run the wire up to the cup holder area which allows easy access to the iPod
what do u mean by digital cds?

Last edited by vinu_neuro; 04-12-2005 at 11:58 PM.
Old 04-13-2005, 08:05 AM
ggcbmwcca.org Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinu_neuro
what do u mean by digital cds?
Some CD's (Actually most) come from analog sources which is usually
refered to as AAD. (Analog , Analog to Digital). Others are recorded digitally and are mastered as digital masters. Two examples come to mind. Dave Grusin's Migration and Diane Schuur's Collection. iPod's do alter the sound of all CD's when they are ripped and so I prefer to hear some of my CD collection un-compressed no matter what their source and thats why I prefer to keep the CD changer.

Last edited by Quicksilver; 04-13-2005 at 08:08 AM.
Old 04-13-2005, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Some CD's (Actually most) come from analog sources which is usually
refered to as AAD. (Analog , Analog to Digital). Others are recorded digitally and are mastered as digital masters. Two examples come to mind. Dave Grusin's Migration and Diane Schuur's Collection. iPod's do alter the sound of all CD's when they are ripped and so I prefer to hear some of my CD collection un-compressed no matter what their source and thats why I prefer to keep the CD changer.
i never thought of that. how do you know if a cd is digital or aad? can you specifically look for digitally mastered music?
Old 04-13-2005, 09:54 AM

People here at work are just as confused about the BMW Ipod feature as I was. When they heard I had a bmw a lot of my colleagues came up to me and said "cool you got Ipod capabilities in your car uh?" I knot my head and say yes, but then think to myself, its not as easy as it sounds my friends, not like the bluetooth option.

I still do not see any advantage over the cassette option, other than a bit better sound. I don't know, i thought this would be an easier installation. BMW should stop false advertisement, you know the Ipod commercial where a bunch of people(music bands) get into this 3-series..BMW needs a statement in small print that reads "you will need a kit, and you will lose your CD changer capabilities"
Old 04-13-2005, 12:53 PM
ggcbmwcca.org Member

Quote:
i never thought of that. how do you know if a cd is digital or aad? can you specifically look for digitally mastered music?

Here's at least one answer. There are still many people who prefer Digital disc's rather than CD''s but that's a different story.

http://www.hdcd.com/players/setup.asp

Last edited by Quicksilver; 04-13-2005 at 12:55 PM.
Old 04-13-2005, 01:09 PM
ggcbmwcca.org Member

Quote:
People here at work are just as confused about the BMW Ipod feature as I was. When they heard I had a bmw a lot of my colleagues came up to me and said "cool you got Ipod capabilities in your car uh?" I knot my head and say yes, but then think to myself, its not as easy as it sounds my friends, not like the bluetooth option.

I still do not see any advantage over the cassette option, other than a bit better sound. I don't know, i thought this would be an easier installation. BMW should stop false advertisement, you know the Ipod commercial where a bunch of people(music bands) get into this 3-series..BMW needs a statement in small print that reads "you will need a kit, and you will lose your CD changer capabilities"
Perhaps your right about the fact that there should be a bit more accurate info regarding all the options avaliable but BMW does state on their web site the compatibility of the iPod your BMW configuration. But when you say "I still do not see any advantage over the cassette option" i wonder if you have really thought it through. It takes longer to route the cable to an acceptable location than it does to remove a radio and plug the cable in for the Aux input option and of course it's convienent and charges up your ipod
in the glove box at the same time. Want to use the cassette? Ok but in my X5 that means
the Navi screen is tilted up, the iPod cassette is installed and UGH I hate to think of the mess that will create.

Aside from the installation convienence theres that unbeliavable array of music avaliable at your finger tips. Even the most basic setup that I have ( Aux input) allows you to keep your CD changer. Yes you don't get complete control but to keep my changer I found it to be an acceptable tradeoff.

I'm sure others who have used other options will tell you the advantages of their installations. I'm also sure that in the near future the option will be avaliable to keep the changer and add the ipod and get all the functions from the steering wheel ect ect ect.

Until then I will continue rockin my X5 with my iPod.

Last edited by Quicksilver; 04-13-2005 at 01:16 PM.
Old 04-13-2005, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Here's at least one answer. There are still many people who prefer Digital disc's rather than CD''s but that's a different story.

http://www.hdcd.com/players/setup.asp
can you really notice the difference when playing HDCDs in the X? Are the cd changer and DSP enough to hear the benefits?
Old 04-14-2005, 02:12 AM
ggcbmwcca.org Member

Quote:
can you really notice the difference when playing HDCDs in the X? Are the cd changer and DSP enough to hear the benefits?

YEP!!
Old 04-14-2005, 02:26 AM

Quote:
YEP!!
do you know of any other sites that have lists of those cds?
Old 04-14-2005, 07:53 AM
Academic, dog lover

Mein Auto: '99 Z3 2.8
As I understand it, all new music for the last decade or so, at least, has been recorded digitially, so that all the newer music CDs are purely digital -- DDD.

But it seems the compression issue would be the same with other sorts of CDs. I think anyone who is concerned about losing CD capability should do the following test: just listen to a CD, and then the same music on your iPod, outside your car. Just plug headphones into a cd-player, and then an iPod (the SAME headphones), and see if you can tell a difference. If you can, then maybe you will want to keep both capabilities and try a different installation. If you can't tell, then why not just go for whatever installation is easiest.

Now, sometime you want to play some music RIGHT THEN, and not wait until you have time to go and load it on your iPod (e.g., you just got out of a music store with the new CD in hand). Then, you might be bummed. But I wonder if most people can really tell the difference enough for it to matter in a car stereo setup.

Here's my question: if I get a new X5, and make sure it has bluetooth capabilities, is there a way I will be able to use iPod wirelessly? That would be great, if so.
Old 04-17-2005, 01:13 PM

Mein Auto: 4.8is
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadsterwench

Here's my question: if I get a new X5, and make sure it has bluetooth capabilities, is there a way I will be able to use iPod wirelessly? That would be great, if so.
Very soon . . .

http://www.gizmodo.com/gadgets/porta...gle-036032.php
Old 04-17-2005, 01:22 PM
Academic, dog lover

Mein Auto: '99 Z3 2.8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeke013
Hey, that looks great. But can the bluetooth receiver in the X5 broadcast the signal, in stereo, through the soundsystem? Am I right that the setup exists now just for bluetooth phones? Or is it ready for any bluetooth device?

Hoping for the best . . .

Roadsterwench

(Who may have to change her name to be fair to the X5!)
Old 04-17-2005, 09:36 PM

You're a little ahead of what is available today...+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadsterwench
Hey, that looks great. But can the bluetooth receiver in the X5 broadcast the signal, in stereo, through the soundsystem? Am I right that the setup exists now just for bluetooth phones? Or is it ready for any bluetooth device?

Hoping for the best . . .
The device shown in the link takes the signal from the headphone jack on the IPod, and sends it via bluetooth to a special headphone. Nothing to do with a car interface. There has been talk of a bluetooth car interface for the IPod (Apple, and Motorola), but no-one has announced one yet, to my knowledge. Also, I am not sure what the advantage would be over a cable, since you will still need a cable to charge the IPod. Gizmodo is interesting, but let's remember that it is geek central. Recomend you look at the Dension IceLink Plus, as it is the only interface at the moment that displays song titles on the OEM head unit. (unlike the BMW IPod interface). Steering wheel controls work, volume works, playlists work, etc. You lose your CD changer. It handles Nav, dsp, and all the rest of the variations.

Retired:
Old 04-17-2005, 11:02 PM
ggcbmwcca.org Member

[QUOTE=Roadsterwench]As I understand it, all new music for the last decade or so, at least, has been recorded digitially, so that all the newer music CDs are purely digital -- DDD.

Look on your CD's if it says AAD that means it was recorded in the analog domain and probably mastered digitally. There is still a lot of music recorded that way and depending
on the engineer it can sound every bit as good or better than digital recordings.

But as you say some may not hear the difference and thats why there are so many choices out there. As for me I'll keep my CD changer because I notice a marked difference in the sound. The more options I have the better I feel.
Old 04-20-2005, 07:22 AM

Mein Auto: 2001 X5 3.0, 2005 330CIC
Is the plug used to interface the IPOD with the Aux in a proprietary plug or is it simply two 3.5 plugs? Do I use the headphone jack to interface or the jack at the bottom of the IPOD? Thanks.
Old 04-25-2005, 06:04 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 328iT
Use this Belkin connector that connects to the bottom of the IPOD. It sounds much better and you only have one wire going to your IPOD. You connect the 3.5 to the charger and then to the AUX port.

Auto Kit for iPod w/ Dock Connector Part # F8V7058-APL

I just got the Griffin Technologies RF remote. Now my IPOD sits in my glove box (with no visible wires) and I can fast forward, reverse, pause and turn it off from the remote.

Griffin Airclick

The sound is quite good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey V
Is the plug used to interface the IPOD with the Aux in a proprietary plug or is it simply two 3.5 plugs? Do I use the headphone jack to interface or the jack at the bottom of the IPOD? Thanks.
Old 04-25-2005, 07:15 PM

Mein Auto: 2004 X5 4.4i
Quote:
Better be sure the iPod adapter is compatible with your Radio/stereo. If you have the "Premium" Stereo, it is not. I found this out AFTER I bought an iPod. Go figure: if you have the "good" stereo, you can't hook up an iPod.

Good luck.