BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Change plugs at 20,000 on an N54 engine?

986 views 6 replies 7 participants last post by  jiveturky1 
#1 ·
I had some routine maintenance done at a BMW dealership and was told that I should replace my spark plugs soon because the OEM plugs have been in service almost 6 years. However, I only have 20,000 miles on those plugs. The SA claims that plugs deteriorate with time, not just mileage.

I have never heard that. Anyone know if that's true? He quoted a price of about $800 for plug and engine air filter replacement.

#3 ·
I had some routine maintenance done at a BMW dealership and was told that I should replace my spark plugs soon because the OEM plugs have been in service almost 6 years. However, I only have 20,000 miles on those plugs. The SA claims that plugs deteriorate with time, not just mileage.

I have never heard that. Anyone know if that's true? He quoted a price of about $800 for plug and engine air filter replacement.
Christmas is coming early this year, but not for you! Plugs $8.50 each. Air filter $32.95.

Dude! Maybe the easiest DIY's. When air filter's dirty. And plugs near 40k mi. You know what to do with the company that quoted $800.

Um....which dealer was that exactly?

#4 ·
I paid $300 for indy to replace my plugs at 45,000. These guys are right, leave the dealership immediately and look for a reputable independent shop in your area.

https://www.bimrs.org/

If you have no issues whatsoever with your cylinders firing properly on a cold start or otherwise, let them be. Good luck!

#6 ·
I don't know where you guys find these "rip off" dealerships. I know this is America and shops can charge what ever they want but the prices that these predatory shops charge are criminal. My dealership changed my spark plugs at 44.5k miles and charged me $295 plus tax ($313 total) for plugs. They changed my cabin air filter at the same time and only charged me for the part as they had to remove it to change the plugs anyway. Oh yes, I got a loaner for the day.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.