BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Newb questions

757 views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  MMMGP 
#1 ·
I just purchased a 2011 335is convertible a few weeks ago and so far, I'm very happy with it. I have been reading this forum for a few weeks now and doing a few searches but I still have a couple of questions I hope you guys can help me with.
1) I have dipped my toe into the coding waters when I replaced the O2 sensor on my wife's 2006 Mini convertible. It took me a while to figure it all out but I was successful. I just want to verify, the cable that I used on her car won't work on my 335is due to the 8th pin issue, right?
2) When I do a VIN check online, it comes back with a 3/10 build date. That seems a bit early for a 2011 model. Are BMW model years usually built the far in advance?
3) My final question is, I have Idrive, bluetooth, comfort access, navigation and hard drive storage. What I don't have is the ability to listen to bluetooth music with a Galaxy S5 which after doing several searches may or may not be fixable with a firmware update. Assuming that the firmware for the entertainment system hasn't been updated, what kind of other updates/options would updating the system get me? Thanks in advance for any assistance and I promise to keep reading/searching in order to minimize the annoying newb questions.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

See less See more
#4 ·
Welcome. I too just recently purchased a 2011 335is convertible, great little ride!

No input on coding, but your 03/10 build was sold as a 2011 MY, BMW does that sometimes.

You cannot stream Bluetooth because your car is not equipped with a ComBox. I have the same issue and will be retrofitting the ComBox in the future. You can make Bluetooth calls but streaming is not supported.

What color combo did you get? Mileage? Price? Pictures?! :D

#5 ·
I got black with a black interior. Car has 60k on it. I was hoping for fewer miles and a stick but once I decided on the 336is, sticks with ultra low miles were hard to find and none were local. So far I love the car but I'm still getting used to the DCT.

I see a lot of threads about combox retrofits so I don't imagine it's too awfully tough to do.

#6 ·
I got black with a black interior. Car has 60k on it. I was hoping for fewer miles and a stick but once I decided on the 336is, sticks with ultra low miles were hard to find and none were local. So far I love the car but I'm still getting used to the DCT.

I see a lot of threads about combox retrofits so I don't imagine it's too awfully tough to do.

I drove a 2010 E92 M3 with a DCT. It did shift freaking quickly, but I was bored in about five minutes. My left leg was just laying there and my index finger was clicking off paddle shifts until I realized that the damn computer could do it better itself.

There is plenty to like about your new ride and I hope it gives you years of driving satisfaction, but I NEED a manual transmission to enjoy driving.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.