Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > M Series > E46 M3 (2001-2006)

E46 M3 (2001-2006)

Old 05-12-2005, 06:37 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: Boxster S
Options Opinions?

Hi guys-

I am about to place an order for an M3 coupe, and just milling over options.

Pretty sure I am doing:

MB or CB/Black/Alum
PP
Xenons

Questions:

Is the H/K system really worth it? Seems just to add 2 powered 6x9s to a standard 10-speaker, but also takes up trunk clearing space

19s worth it? Been going back and forth this week on it, but leaning towards the 18s and going aftermarket if I want 19s

Adjustable width/lumbar seats---does this make the seats like the E60 w/ Sport package (which I like)

Thought about ZCP, but since it basically requires Nav to get PP, price gets up above 60k which seems too much.

If there are any other "must have" options, I'm listening!

Thanks, and looking forward to joining the club!

Keith
Advertisement
Old 05-12-2005, 07:13 AM
Do the interns get Glocks

Send a message via AIM to LmtdSlip
Mein Auto: 325iC
I am on options minimalist especially when it comes to M3s.

Id skip the PP and the HK. And possibly wouldnt do the Xenons as I don't drive much at night.
Id also opt for leather/cloth interior....Cloth is grippier and cooler in the summer.

Id take a stripper M3 with a sunroof. Just over $49K.

Photobucket
Old 05-12-2005, 07:36 AM

Send a message via AIM to RChoudry
Mein Auto: 86 325es; 87 325iC; 06 M3
If you're trying to keep price as low as possible, then I'd get"

M3 (non metallic color)
cloth seats
Xenons
Heated Seats
+/- Sunroof
+/- Rear sunshade

But of course I got a bunch of other stuff.

-2006 Z4 M Roadster (Sapphire Black/imola red)...12/9/2006
-2006 M3 ZCP Interlagos blue/black via PCD 11/29/2005
-2004 330i ZHP Imola red/black alcantara CPO 1/2008
-1999 Audi A4 1.8tQ (Jaspis Green/Black)
-1986 325es (Zinnoberot red/Pearl)
Old 05-12-2005, 08:32 AM

Mein Auto: 05 BMW M3
You'll hear a lot in this post about minimal options...And mainly from people who track their M's in different sport/race driving events..
I personally, would deck the car out with every option available for both resale and convienence...I see that it's always good to have it over wanting it later and having to pay for retrofits..

-H/K is worth it..does not have the best bass though..but very clear/clean/crisp sound
-Adjustable seats are great and have a good feel (when you finally get it right)..although your passengers will apprieciate them more than you will, being that they can figure it out
-I will never own another vehicle without NAV..Instead of asking for directions, I ask for an address, punch it in, and she'll guide you there
-ZCP...I love the steering wheel buttons too much...

To conclude..I've am spoiled to the goods now, and can not see going to a less featured car...I got the car decked with everything with the exception of the sun shade..I do wish that I could do the Sat radio though(Sirius,XM)...but I'm not willing to put another goofy looking antenna on the car along with the rediculous looking shark fin..But might settle for an IPOD for now...
Old 05-12-2005, 09:15 AM
M Mad

Mein Auto: M Roadster/M3
Depends onw what YOU want. And what YOU plan to do with the car.

For people who track there are a couple of strikes agsint sunroofs, the biggest reason is you lose about 1 inch of headroom, which is critical with a helmet on. Add in the lower torsional rigidity and you are a slam dunk against for people who track. Personaly I hate sunroofs. If you want open air, get a convertible. Much better than a half a88ed hole it the roof.

Zenons are very nice for a street car.

The HK system is not a bad system and unless youplan on doing a custom setup, then get it. If you are going custom, don't waste the money on something you will be replacing anyway.

Adjustable width seats and lumbar are very nice. Not necessary, but nice.

19s, hard to find track tires, so if you track you want a set of 18s anyway. The ZCP wheels are available, along with lots of other choices. I see no reason to buy 19s on the car, but if you like the wheels go for it. Realize that 19s do increase ride harshness and noise a bit.

Personally I think the BMW Nav sucks. Get a Garmin for 1/3 the price and better GPS interface, and you can take it with you on trips where you rent cars. The BMW Nav looks nice, integrated, built in, but once you use a GOOD GPS you will not be happy. But I am a big fan of the idea of GPS nav systems, just not the BMW one, especially for the price.

For me SMG was a must have, and if I had to replace it today, I would get SMG again. Great fun on teh street, AWESOME at the track.

'95 Alpine M3 LTW
'00 Dakar M Roadster
'02 Topaz M3
Red/White SRF #4 (Chassis 561)
Old 05-12-2005, 11:58 AM

Mein Auto: Boxster S
Tnanks guys...

I'm not a minimalist necessarily (although my Boxster is stark by comparison--full leather, that's about it), just don't want tons of options that I don't need. I'm also not planning on tracking the car (never have in my Boxster either). I just wanted a bigger car, but still with tons of speed and sunroof is a must coming from a convertible.

Sounds like this is a good compromise:

MB/Bl/Alum
PP
Xenons
Adj. Seats

I might go aftermarket on speakers, so H/K I guess should be left out.

Keith
Old 05-12-2005, 12:11 PM

Mein Auto: e46 M3
Someone posted once to get any option which is hard or impractical to install later.

Heated seats, Lumbar, Nav fall into that category.

I love the Nav, it's excellent, and does the job very well. Slickest interface of all, no, but really good, yes. Can't get garmin to hook up to the wheel rotation sensors which tell the nav if you are in a turn.

SMG, love it. And it put the M3 into very unique company. (with the Ferrari F1 (street) tranny). I've drivin my car for 1990 miles in Europe, (currently waiting its return) and I was really pleased I went with SMG, and I've never purchased a car without clutch pedal in 30 years.

Here's pictures and Write-up of my Euro Delivery

HK in e46 is a big upgrade to my e36 stereo, so I'm really happy with the performance gains. Nice thing is, you loose very little trunk space.

You don't need to get Nav with ZCP. Only if you want Assist / Bluetooth, since with ZCP the only phone button will be on the Nav.

Xenons (or "zenons" ) are a must.

Here's the car I'm waiting for RE-delivery
M3, Imola/black, ZCP, ZPP, SMG, Nav, Xenon, Heated, Lumbar, HK

M3 05 Imola/Black, ZCP, ZPP, SMG, Xenon, Nav, Heated, Lumbar, HK -- Euro Delivery Pictures
Old 05-12-2005, 04:47 PM

Send a message via AIM to RChoudry
Mein Auto: 86 325es; 87 325iC; 06 M3
get the heated seats.

it's to actually regret getting them and will add value to the car when selling it.

-2006 Z4 M Roadster (Sapphire Black/imola red)...12/9/2006
-2006 M3 ZCP Interlagos blue/black via PCD 11/29/2005
-2004 330i ZHP Imola red/black alcantara CPO 1/2008
-1999 Audi A4 1.8tQ (Jaspis Green/Black)
-1986 325es (Zinnoberot red/Pearl)
Old 05-12-2005, 04:53 PM
M Mad

Actually get the Garmin 2650 or 2660 and it does hook up to speed sensor and reverse sensor to dead reckon when sat signal is lost.

The only time I have that problem is in tunnels, and I tend to know wher4e I am at that point.

BMW nav does brilliant things like not supporting track up display at all resolutions. Lots of other quirks to the system. Grmin 26xx series has touch screen, so few buttons used. Borrow a Garmin, run side by side and see what a good interface is really like. Magellan is not as easy to use.

As for adding hard to add options, if you don't WANT the option, why buy it just so you can have it????

Get the options that YOU want and make the car best for YOU.

Depending on YOUR use a fuly optioned car might be right, or one like Bren has, Xenons and SMG ONLY (maybe HK).

'95 Alpine M3 LTW
'00 Dakar M Roadster
'02 Topaz M3
Old 05-12-2005, 05:03 PM
Empowered Consumer

Mein Auto: 1 - 4.20hp, 1 - 420hp
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinecone
Depending on YOUR use a fuly optioned car might be right, or one like Bren has, Xenons and SMG ONLY (maybe HK).
And width adjustable seats and 19s.

Alex

My Flickr
TeamWTF?!

Old 05-12-2005, 06:17 PM

Mein Auto: BMW
Are you getting the SMG?? I think its a must have.
Sunroof is a hard one, I could easy see not getting one, but you might really "pay" for it later on trade in or resale. I do like the extra 1" headroom without it.

I don't like the HK system at all. I think Nav is poorly implemented but much better than in the past.

I think it looks better with 19" rims, but agree, it might be better to buy the ZCP style rims later and pick your choice of rubber.

Xenons, heated seats, adj. power seats, adj. lumbar, a must.....
Old 05-12-2005, 06:21 PM
Empowered Consumer

Mein Auto: 1 - 4.20hp, 1 - 420hp
Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerguy
Are you getting the SMG?? I think its a must have.
It's a must have if you know what you're getting, and it's what you want.

Alex

My Flickr
TeamWTF?!

Old 05-12-2005, 06:28 PM
///Mpty pockets

Mein Auto: wankermatic
Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerguy

Xenons, heated seats, adj. power seats, adj. lumbar, a must.....
The guy is in LA...I don't think heated seats are necessary. And, I wouldn't spring for the width adjustables if you don't plan on tracking the car and there is no need for power seats without width adjust.

I don't know why it matters what any of us think though....we already ordered our cars how WE like them.

Last edited by bren; 05-12-2005 at 06:31 PM.
Old 05-12-2005, 06:37 PM

Mein Auto: '09 E92 M3, '03 330i ZSP
Less is more to me when it comes to options. There is so much stuff that I just don't need, but it's very nice to have choices. If I were to order an E46 M3 right now, I would probably get:

Black Leather
Xenons
HK
Electric Red paint ($2500?)

That's it. What do you all think about sunroofs being standard equipment? Right now, you can't get an E90 sedan without one (in the US). I think they did this for a while on the E46, but thank goodness this wasn't the case when I ordered mine so I was able to... order mine. This is a deal breaker for me. Is this something they change back and forth during the life cycle of a platform, or will it always likely be standard equipment? I *really* want an E90 M3 without a hole in the roof.
Old 05-12-2005, 07:36 PM
Retired and Enjoying It

Mein Auto: 06 Vette (04 330Ci sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by e36M3r
Although slightly off-topic, enjoyed viewing your trip - thank you for sharing the experience!
Old 05-12-2005, 08:23 PM
Estoril Blue Black Nappa

Mein Auto: 2005 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by bren
The guy is in LA...I don't think heated seats are necessary. And, I wouldn't spring for the width adjustables if you don't plan on tracking the car and there is no need for power seats without width adjust.

I don't know why it matters what any of us think though....we already ordered our cars how WE like them.
But the best part of the power seats is the memory setting.It makes it so easy to switch back to how you like your seat position to be.As for the heated seats, maybe he has a place up at Big Bear.
Old 05-13-2005, 04:15 AM
M Mad

The memory function is very nice. Heated seats are nice if you EVER take the car to someplace cold.

But like Bren says, we ordred are cars the way we wanted them. Woudl I do anything different is the question you ought to ask.

And based on driving some otehrs, playing with BMW Nav, etc, no really. For an all around car, I got just the right mix.

'95 Alpine M3 LTW
'00 Dakar M Roadster
'02 Topaz M3
Old 05-13-2005, 08:36 AM
Lost

Mein Auto: 2003 M5
Quote:
Originally Posted by bren
WELL said.
Old 05-13-2005, 09:53 AM

Mein Auto: BMW
Well ....the whole point of this thread is that he is asking us for our opinions.

Last edited by bimmerguy; 05-13-2005 at 09:56 AM.
Old 05-13-2005, 11:12 AM

Mein Auto: X3
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyB
...I would probably get:
Black Leather
Xenons
HK
Electric Red paint ($2500?)
Nope, only $2000 (invoice $1820)....see there? You saved five hundred bucks already!
BMW CCA #115780
'14 X3 35i M sport
Old 05-13-2005, 01:08 PM

Mein Auto: M & M
Get some, but not all

You option the car for YOU, not for resale 5 years down the road!

- CB is better the more you look at it. Alum trim goes very well with it. Gray interior is clean and professional, but red and cinnamon are sportier.

- Heated seats--NO--you're in LA

- Power seats--YES--especially the Key-memorized seating positions & mirrors. If you're normal size, no need to get lumbar (save you $500)

- Sunroof--NO--I don't care for it and did not use it when I had it on other cars. The look is cleaner than having a hole in your roof.

- HK--NO--if you want to save money. Basic 10 speakers are more than plenty...and you want to hear the engine rather than the radio anyway.

- Nav--YES--a must since you're in LA.

- 19s--NO--tires look too stressed on on 19-in rims. Besides, even when the BMW racing teams cheated (e.g. V-8 GTR) or played fair (Team PTG M3/s), they still stick with 18's on their cars. I tend to trust these guys, who spent countless hours and millions on making sure their cars are the best they could be.

- Xenon--YES--if you're driving, no if you're in front of one. Since you're in LA and everyone has Xenon anyway, screw them.

- SMG--Up to ya--expensive, but worth it for me.

My opinions only. My new coupe does not even have a garage to live in. That's what you get for spending boatload of money in a 90+ year old home in Oakland.
Old 05-13-2005, 03:48 PM

Mein Auto: '09 E92 M3, '03 330i ZSP
Quote:
Originally Posted by LMC
Nope, only $2000 (invoice $1820)....see there? You saved five hundred bucks already!

Cheaper than I thought...
Old 05-13-2005, 04:15 PM
Lost

Mein Auto: 2003 M5
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeeKay
My opinions only. My new coupe does not even have a garage to live in. That's what you get for spending boatload of money in a 90+ year old home in Oakland.

We have the same problem over in Marin.
Old 05-14-2005, 03:52 AM
M Mad

Uuh, race teams run 18s but lower profile tires. It is not abut rim size, it is about tire sidewall height.

'95 Alpine M3 LTW
'00 Dakar M Roadster
'02 Topaz M3
Old 05-14-2005, 06:12 AM
///Mpty pockets

Mein Auto: wankermatic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinecone
Uuh, race teams run 18s but lower profile tires. It is not abut rim size, it is about tire sidewall height.
It's about weight and brake clearance more than anything. My guess is they would run the smallest wheel that will fit over the brakes to reduce unsprung weight/rotational mass.