Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > M Series > E46 M3 (2001-2006)

E46 M3 (2001-2006)

Old 04-07-2005, 12:15 PM
Lost

Mein Auto: 2003 M5
Quote:
Originally Posted by flashinthepan
Its so damn hard to pick

But above all...

CONGRAT-U-FREAK-A-LATIONS !!!!!

Old 04-07-2005, 12:19 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Nick325xiT 5spd Send a message via AIM to Nick325xiT 5spd Send a message via Yahoo to Nick325xiT 5spd
Mein Auto: M3 & 323i/999 KP
I'm not sure where WOT is, but I can tell you that I've given very serious thought to swapping in a manual pedal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by e36M3r
Nah, that's old history.

The other side of the coin is, they do perform somewhat better than the solids, thus why essentially all high performance rotors are drilled.

Hey Nick, that kick down switch is @#%#% annoying. Where do you suppost full throttle is, at then end of the push up to the kick down (thus the kick-down switch just signals auto mode it's OK to drop down a gear), or must you press past the kick-down switch to get full throttle. If it's the latter, then the pedal MUST be changed. Have you looked into the swap any further?
1990 325is Brilliantrot/Tan
1989 325is S50B30US Alpinweiß/Black
1989 M3 Alpinweiß/Black S50B32 (321hp, ITBs)

Old 04-07-2005, 12:24 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: e46 M3
I can live with it if full throttle is at the bottom of the throw, before kick down as the kick down switch is fairly stiff so I'd normaly never feel it, but if we must go past the switch for WOT, then I'm never getting 100% as I'd rarely push past it. If you find any details please let me know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick325xiT 5spd
I'm not sure where WOT is, but I can tell you that I've given very serious thought to swapping in a manual pedal.
Old 04-09-2005, 06:20 AM
M Mad

Mein Auto: M Roadster/M3
Quote:
The other side of the coin is, they do perform somewhat better than the solids, thus why essentially all high performance rotors are drilled.

Hey Nick, that kick down switch is @#%#% annoying. Where do you suppost full throttle is, at then end of the push up to the kick down (thus the kick-down switch just signals auto mode it's OK to drop down a gear), or must you press past the kick-down switch to get full throttle. If it's the latter, then the pedal MUST be changed. Have you looked into the swap any further?
a) Wrong. MANY years ago, with old tech brake pads, drilled rotors were used to let pad gases escape. Later slotted rotors were found to work better. Plus they help remove pad glaze (at the expensive of seriously reducing pad life). Also at one time people THOUGHT that drilled rotors cooled beter, but they has been proven to be false. ONLY reason for drilled rotors is looks, in this day and age.

2) Full throttle occurs when before the kickdown switch. Testing in the early days of SMG showed that at as you hit the kick down switch, the pedal has sent about a 107% signal to the computer, so full thorrle is actually slightly earlier.

That said, I have a non-kick down pedal in mine, and I prefer it. And I also NEVER use auto, at least not intentionally, and then only until I realize it and take it out of auto.

'95 Alpine M3 LTW
'00 Dakar M Roadster
'02 Topaz M3
Red/White SRF #4 (Chassis 561)
Old 04-10-2005, 01:47 AM

Mein Auto: 2009 E92 M3 Coupe
The kickdown switch is just that...it tells the auto mode to downshift. Someone a few years ago tested the pedal and full throttle was right at the kickdown switch, and beyond did nothing except summon a downshift. Lots of people of yore when the "sticky" pedal ran rampant took their smg car into the dealer and the dealer screwed up and installed the pedal with no switch. Amazingly enough, the car still downshifted in auto with no kickdown shift. My guess is that the kickdown switch just made deeper downshifts, meaning a kickdown from 6 to 3 or 5 to 2, whereas without the switch, the car only downshifted 1 gear. Most people preferred not having the button. Myself, I prefer the button since I know when I'm at full throttle, without really slamming my foot to the floor.

Quote:
Nah, that's old history.

Old 04-10-2005, 07:49 AM
meroglot

Send a message via AIM to 'Cane
Mein Auto: ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by boondawg
performance package
Not sure what you are thinking of (premium package?), but there is no performance package for the M3.
Old 04-10-2005, 08:52 AM

Mein Auto: e46 M3
Thanks Jim, Pinecone. That sounds good, thanks for the info. I did a bit of research and found the same deal, Dr G had written a white-paper on it also. OK, I'll wait for the car now and drive it for awhile. Since it's new, the kick-down switch is fairly robust, (IE: you must give it a pretty good press to get past it), so I think I'll try to live with it knowing I never have to activate it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in Oregon
The kickdown switch is just that...it tells the auto mode to downshift.... I prefer the button since I know when I'm at full throttle, without really slamming my foot to the floor.
Old 04-10-2005, 09:51 AM

Mein Auto: 2005 E46 M3
I just picked up an 05 M3 with ZCP couple of weeks ago and I have to say its worth the $4k. I test drove regular M3s and spent quite sometime before I made my decision. I dont like/care for the interlagos blue color and you can option the ZCP without it, mine's silver-gray.

First, the alacantara steering wheel is addictive, once you're used to it no other steering wheel feels normal after that. The brakes are phenomenal, they supposedly shaved off a good 12ft off the brake timing. I have to say I prefer the regular M3 wheels however I like the fact that I have a unique looking (stock) M3. The suspension is actually *softer* than the regular M3, which works great for me since I have to drive on some bad roads here and its not annoying. As for the buttons on the wheel, I never cared for them and I think the wheel looks cleaner without the cluttering. Yes, you do lose the cruise control,but I personally don't see the point in cruise control on an M3 but thats MO. If you add up the wheels/tires + steering wheel + brakes + suspension + uniqueness, I think its worth the $4k.

If you want more details on the ZCP, MotorTrend mag had a first look article on it this month and I quote their conclusion "its the best $4k you can spend on an M3".

BTW, the ZCP is the first production BMW with cross-drilled rotors (I didnt know this).

Cheers!
Old 04-10-2005, 11:51 AM
Lost

Quote:
Originally Posted by snalliah
I just picked up an 05 M3 with ZCP couple of weeks ago and I have to say its worth the $4k. I test drove regular M3s and spent quite sometime before I made my decision. I dont like/care for the interlagos blue color and you can option the ZCP without it, mine's silver-gray.

First, the alacantara steering wheel is addictive, once you're used to it no other steering wheel feels normal after that. The brakes are phenomenal, they supposedly shaved off a good 12ft off the brake timing. I have to say I prefer the regular M3 wheels however I like the fact that I have a unique looking (stock) M3. The suspension is actually *softer* than the regular M3, which works great for me since I have to drive on some bad roads here and its not annoying. As for the buttons on the wheel, I never cared for them and I think the wheel looks cleaner without the cluttering. Yes, you do lose the cruise control,but I personally don't see the point in cruise control on an M3 but thats MO. If you add up the wheels/tires + steering wheel + brakes + suspension + uniqueness, I think its worth the $4k.

If you want more details on the ZCP, MotorTrend mag had a first look article on it this month and I quote their conclusion "its the best $4k you can spend on an M3".

BTW, the ZCP is the first production BMW with cross-drilled rotors (I didnt know this).

Cheers!
Glad you are enjoying your mew M3!!

Just one comment. All 05 M3's get the same suspension. Whether that is softer or not is another story.

I actually like the regular steering wheel better and I am going to try and retrofit one when mine comes in in June.

Cheers.
Old 04-10-2005, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TD330ci
Glad you are enjoying your mew M3!!

Just one comment. All 05 M3's get the same suspension. Whether that is softer or not is another story.

I actually like the regular steering wheel better and I am going to try and retrofit one when mine comes in in June.

Cheers.
Great, how did you option yours? What color?
Old 04-10-2005, 03:35 PM
///Mpty pockets

Mein Auto: wankermatic
Quote:

Quote:
Dealer tell you that?
Old 04-10-2005, 05:35 PM
M Mad

Mein Auto: M Roadster/M3
Some people have found the Alcantara wheel to wear faster, getting smooth and shiny.

The reason no drilled rotors, is they are NOT a GOOD thing. They are much more problem to cracking.

'95 Alpine M3 LTW
'00 Dakar M Roadster
'02 Topaz M3
Red/White SRF #4 (Chassis 561)
Old 04-10-2005, 05:55 PM
Lost

Quote:
Originally Posted by bren
Latest comment from Bren the ZCP basher.
Old 04-10-2005, 05:58 PM
Lost

Quote:
Great, how did you option yours? What color?
IB/Cinnamon
6 spd
bun warmers
moonroof
nav
sunshade
H/K
Comp Pkg
power seats
xenons
assist

Cheers.
Old 04-10-2005, 06:00 PM
Lost

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinecone
Some people have found the Alcantara wheel to wear faster, getting smooth and shiny.

The reason no drilled rotors, is they are NOT a GOOD thing. They are much more problem to cracking.
IF you track your car maybe, which I wont. But for those that do, that sucks.
Old 04-10-2005, 06:29 PM
///Mpty pockets

Quote:
....there are far better upgrades for my $4k. But who am I to question Motor Trend
Old 04-10-2005, 07:04 PM
Empowered Consumer

Mein Auto: 1 - 4.20hp, 1 - 420hp
Quote:
Come one, you have to admit that any quote attributed to Motor Trend is a little suspect.

Alex

My Flickr
TeamWTF?!

Old 04-10-2005, 07:44 PM

Quote:

Dealer tell you that?
No way I am trusting the dealer on any kind of statistic or otherwise, in fact I did'nt trust a word he said - I double checked eveything and he was wrong a lot.

This fact is from the same Motor Trend article that I quoted - I do trust them.
Old 04-10-2005, 07:51 PM
Empowered Consumer

Mein Auto: 1 - 4.20hp, 1 - 420hp
Quote:
No way I am trusting the dealer on any kind of statistic or otherwise, in fact I did'nt trust a word he said - I double checked eveything and he was wrong a lot.

This fact is from the same Motor Trend article that I quoted - I do trust them.
You might be better off trusting the dealer.

Alex

My Flickr
TeamWTF?!

Old 04-10-2005, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BahnBaum
You might be better off trusting the dealer.

Alex
Sure, MotorTrend could be wrong but I am certainly not trusting the dealer...
Old 04-10-2005, 08:36 PM
Lost

Quote:
Originally Posted by BahnBaum
Come one, you have to admit that any quote attributed to Motor Trend is a little suspect.

Alex
I do agree that they can be a little suspect as we all can be in life. It was more to the point of giving Bren yet another ZCP bashing opertunity, which he of course took. I would have expected no less.
Old 04-11-2005, 06:03 AM

Mein Auto: 05 BMW M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinecone
a) Wrong. MANY years ago, with old tech brake pads, drilled rotors were used to let pad gases escape. Later slotted rotors were found to work better. Plus they help remove pad glaze (at the expensive of seriously reducing pad life). Also at one time people THOUGHT that drilled rotors cooled beter, but they has been proven to be false. ONLY reason for drilled rotors is looks, in this day and age.
Finally.... someone that knows...Yes drilled rotors do in fact cool faster, but, they also heat up quicker...And the main purpose of the holes are to rid of the gases between the pads/rotors..

Regardless, I couldn't see you putting the rotors under that much stress(actual race conditions), as to the point of cracking them...The only reasons that they should crack would be 1) too small of diameter or 2) you're coming into corners too hot, and/or you don't know the limits of your brakes, and refuse to conserve them...

The drill rotors do perform, but with the right applications..I personally think that both the standard rotor and the drilled rotors, are too small..Probably the best upgrade (mod) as far as breaks on an e46, would be new stainless lines and decent brake fluid...Most probably, you will never have an issue with them..unless your left foot gets bored(SMG) and you let it sleep on the left peddle while driving through puddle of water

Oh...and drilled rotors do look good too
Old 04-11-2005, 06:13 AM

Mein Auto: 05 BMW M3
Quote:
IF you track your car maybe, which I wont. But for those that do, that sucks.
Even if you track your car...you won't have a problem...I doubt that many people on this board have actually cracked drilled rotors...I guarantee, if you track your car, and have the assistance of an instructor(i.e. not solo) you will not crack your rotors on the hottest day..
Old 04-11-2005, 07:30 AM
Lost

Quote:
....there are far better upgrades for my $4k. But who am I to question Motor Trend
Actually closer to $2100 after the 19 inch wheel upgrade you got.
Old 04-11-2005, 08:11 AM
///Mpty pockets

Quote:
Actually closer to $2100 after the 19 inch wheel upgrade you got.
I'm a sucker for forged wheels...what can I say