BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Scuff on steering wheel

1K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  nuron 
#1 ·
I noticed a change of texture on the matte finish part of steering wheel.

Thought it was just a bit of liquid from a raindrop or spill, but on closer inspection it appears the matte finish is actually scuffed, as if someone sometime was carrying something into the car and scraped it.

And now it's attention-grabbing.

Any ideas for an easy/inexpensive fix?
It is purely cosmetic, but I'd like to fix it if reasonably doable.

See less See more
#5 ·
That trim piece is easily removed and replaced and for not very much money. You're likely to get more scratches since the coating has become soft... probably time to replace.

#6 ·
Aha! Thanks! I see it is a trim piece relatively simple to remove and replace (or even refinish). I will put that on my list.

#7 ·
Famous BMW coated plastics, looks nice and has that 'soft touch' feel, but guaranteed to peel.

Have not had any issues on the steering wheel trim, but my drivers windows switches panel and all passenger door grab handles have peeled / scuffed like that.

I believe you do not have to remove the steering wheel air bag to remove the trim, which is the hardest part.

#8 ·
Famous BMW coated plastics, looks nice and has that 'soft touch' feel, but guaranteed to peel.

Have not had any issues on the steering wheel trim, but my drivers windows switches panel and all passenger door grab handles have peeled / scuffed like that.

I believe you do not have to remove the steering wheel air bag to remove the trim, which is the hardest part.
I've done the procedure when I put my alcantara BMW performance one on... You don't need to remove anything but but the trim. I think it was three screws, shimmy out from around the airbag cover, and then prying the buttons off. Then reverse.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.