BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Oil Pan Gasket Leak a Common Issue?

22K views 20 replies 9 participants last post by  blue boy 
#1 · (Edited)
I am taking my car to the dealer THIS time to replace the oil pan gasket which was discovered to be leaking at the last oil change (3000 miles ago). It has been getting worse as I can smell burnt oil most of the time at startup. An indy informed me at the last oil change it was leaking and eventually needed replacing. It is almost an all day job and thank goodness I still have an extended warranty expiring within a 1000 miles so getting it done ASAP. Also the dealer provides a loaner lol. Is this leak a common issue?

On another note the main reason I bought the extended warranty was the water pump typically failing between 60-80K miles. Well guess what? No fail or at least not yet lol. However, the warranty has paid for itself otherwise.

#4 ·
Most people just figure you can buy a lot of oil for 2200.00
I had such a leak on my E39, about a drop a day, with an estimate of ~$800 to fix, and that was my cost/benefit analysis as well.

Then the garage caught fire, totaling the E39. Problem solved.

Not a particularly desirable option, though. ;)

#6 ·
I'm looking at having to do that down the line here as well. 115,000 miles on mine, probably will last another one or two oil changes.
Mine might be worse than others though;

2011 328 xDrive here, so to get at the oil pan, everything needs to come out of the bottom, the differentials, the subframe, etc. Basically, you're paying for the time, as it's likely an 8+ hour job affair. The only way to get any true cost savings is finding someone that doesn't charge a huge amount per hour in labor. Let's figure 9 hours, at $100/hour, you're already looking at close to $1000 just in labor alone.

#9 ·
I agree that many cars will have an oil leak every now and then, but and that's a big but, I think it is a common issue for this gasket to fail on the n54 engine. My 2004 Toyota truck has only had two issues and one of them was the oil pan gasket, so it does happen.

To me it seems kind of short sighted to know there is an issue such as an oil leak and not fix it. Needless to say if the oil leaks out it can cause catastrophic engine failure , but you might want to be concerned about your car catching on fire when you are in it? Also, my car has an underbody shield under the car and I'm not even sure the oil would hit the ground unless it's pouring out. I would not see it on the garage Floor.

#12 · (Edited)
Hmm, the burning oil smell is usually from oil burning off from the exhaust manifolds. That's a tell-tale sign that the valve cover gasket is spent and needs to be replaced.

I've personally replaced the oil pan gasket on my E46 wagon and it was a messy job which involved dropping the front sub-frame to remove the oil pan. For $800 in savings, I would do so again. I've read many threads where people cut the new oil pan gasket and use a sealant at the cut during installation to prevent leaks. That bypasses having to drop the sub-frame and saves a chunk of time. Not sure I would ever go that route, but people have done so with success.

#14 ·
I've personally replaced the oil pan gasket on my E46 wagon and it was a messy job which involved dropping the front sub-frame to remove the oil pan. For $800 in savings, I would do so again. I've read many threads where people cut the new oil pan gasket and use a sealant at the cut during installation to prevent leaks. That bypasses having to drop the sub-frame and saves a chunk of time. Not sure I would ever go that route, but people have do so with success.
That's what I was facing with my E39. But it was only a single drop every day or two. I was biding my time until the leak got worse or something else in that area required attention.

#19 ·
oil leaks

well i guess it is my turn to get hit with leaks,, oil on side and below valve cover(something on top leaking)
also, oil pan gasket leaking all over.
hell, i have a 27 yr old toyota truck that i would like to restore (antique now) that has fewer leaks than my bmw!! what is so dam difficult about making gaskets!!:mad:

#21 ·
well i guess it is my turn to get hit with leaks,, oil on side and below valve cover(something on top leaking)
also, oil pan gasket leaking all over.
hell, i have a 27 yr old toyota truck that i would like to restore (antique now) that has fewer leaks than my bmw!! what is so dam difficult about making gaskets!!:mad:
my dealer replaced the valve cover gasket and 2 other gaskets inside for 50$ deductable
said they will do the oil pan as well under warranty,, since its x drive thats a lot of labor

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.