Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > Everything Else > General Automotive Forum

General Automotive Forum
All non-BMW car talk goes here...

Old 04-09-2005, 01:10 PM

Mein Auto: 2003 OB 330i
Unhappy Just went 4 weeks without washing my car

I have never gone that long without washing it. I've been on the road and up in the PNW from CA where on and off showers just forbade a car wash. So I was happy to wash it today. Apparently, 4 weeks of crapola is enough to show me that one wash doesn't always do the trick. I suck!
Old 04-09-2005, 01:29 PM

Mein Auto: Will be 330i
I bet your wheels must have been very dirty from all the brake dust
Old 04-09-2005, 01:37 PM
What to do...?

Mein Auto: 128i
4 weeks? HA! I've gone 12 weeks.
Old 04-09-2005, 03:50 PM
ZHPper

Mein Auto: 330ciZHP Mini Clubman VUE
Let's see...2 weeks in Germany after ED, 6 weeks to get to the dealer (TTTransit did not make me wash the car in Paris)...so thats 8 weeks.
Old 04-09-2005, 04:18 PM

Mein Auto: 1996 328is
right........

You actually spent the time to make a post about not washing your car for a couple of weeks... ok then...
Old 04-09-2005, 04:41 PM
totally

Mein Auto: ist schwarz
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brioxide
You actually spent the time to make a post about not washing your car for a couple of weeks... ok then...
Sure, just like you spent the time to respond to it, and i spent the time to respond to you.
Old 04-09-2005, 04:45 PM

Mein Auto: 2003 OB 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brioxide
yeah, I was bored, and I am incredibly self-absorbed!
Old 04-11-2005, 08:04 PM
:-)

Mein Auto: E46 M3
4 weeks?? i haven't washed mine in like 4 months.

02 M3 6MT - a bunch of mods | No V-CSL | No carbon fiber anywhere
Sold: 03 330Ci - No Leather | No Moonroof | No Step | European delivered
Old 04-11-2005, 08:39 PM
My TARDIS is a BMW

Mein Auto: '02 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew330Ci
4 weeks?? i haven't washed mine in like 4 months.
Been there, done that too! There were times when I didn't wash my previous car for a hell of a lot longer than that as well. In fact, I think I have now washed and detailled the bimmer more in the 3+ years I've owned it than the previous car in the 16 years I had it

I actually washed the car this past Friday before heading out to a driving school for the weekend, and now it desperately needs to be washed again. It's dead bug city, especially on the nose, but I won't have time until the Friday before bimmerfest to wash it again . Everyday dirt and brake dust I can lie with for a while, but all those squished bugs on the nose and windshield are just . Next time I gotta remember to bring along the blue painter's tape.

Old 04-11-2005, 09:24 PM
Padawan

Mein Auto: 2004 330ci Convertible
I haven't washed my Bimmer since August of last year. But dusting it after every drive and a wipe down with Zaino Glossing Spray once or twice a week keeps it looking showroom fresh all the time! Oh, and not ever driving in the rain also helps

--J.
2004|330ci|Convertible|Silver Grey Metallic|Sport Package|Premium Package|Steptronic|NAV|Xenon Adaptive Headlights|Heated Seats|Black Montana Leather|Aluminum Brushed Column Trim|SSR/GT3 19" Rims (original 18" Style 71's in storage)
Old 04-11-2005, 09:26 PM
In Driving Heaven

Mein Auto: 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonathanIT
Oh, and not ever driving in the rain also helps
I wish I had the luxury. Everytime I actually have time to wash my car recently, the weather becomes inclement. I'm definitely going to have to bite the bullet next weekend in preparation for Bimmerfest 2005.

"Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity."

Mystic Blue 330i, SP, PP, Nav, Heated Seats, Step -- ED July 10, 2003
Old 04-11-2005, 09:39 PM
This side up.

Mein Auto: E46 M3, XL1200S, E39(RIP)
Quote:
Originally Posted by operknockity
I actually washed the car this past Friday before heading out to a driving school for the weekend, and now it desperately needs to be washed again.
I usually do the opposite and wash the car AFTER the track school as it usually gets really dirty from the trip there and back and the time spent on the track.
Old 04-11-2005, 09:50 PM
My TARDIS is a BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by liuk3
I usually do the opposite and wash the car AFTER the track school as it usually gets really dirty from the trip there and back and the time spent on the track.
Aside from the fact that my car was really dirty, I wanted to clean all the brake dust off the wheels before the school so I could see how much brake dust got generated with all the hard braking on the track.

Old 04-12-2005, 12:20 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: M3
exactly!
I would go much longer between washings if not for the fecking syty brake pads that throw CHUNKS of brake pad material onto the wheels that must be removed before it bonds to the metal!

I got to get some dustless pads one of these days

Life is like a B Movie, you wouldn't want to sit through it twice, but you'd hate to leave it in the middle!
Old 04-12-2005, 01:06 AM
Ring Junkie

Send a message via ICQ to Dirtboy Send a message via AIM to Dirtboy Send a message via Yahoo to Dirtboy
Mein Auto: E46 E83 E30- all M sport!
I think I've got you all beat - I didn't wash or wax my car for over a year

Of course, this was while I was in Korea and my car was in storage in a garage with a cover on it...

Old 04-12-2005, 09:28 AM
Dreaming of Track Days

Mein Auto: ED'd 330Ci / E30 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by woohoo
4 weeks? HA! I've gone 12 weeks.
HA!!! I went almost all winter without washing mine!!!!

Then I pulled it out of the garage.
.................................................. ............................................. Space for rent .................................................. ..........................................
Old 04-12-2005, 09:42 AM
"knowledge is good"-Faber

Mein Auto: '05 530i/'08 335i
Clean rides in Mo'town

Hello! Native Californian, here, now living in thr bowels of Appalachia; actually the #1 small enclave in America according to some organization whose name escapes me at the moment. Anyway, never, and I mean never can I go more than one week without washing the cars. I've tried the car duster and spray wax(Optimum-the very best)thing. Just can't do it. The dust, the bugs, the omnipresent freakin' brake dust, etc. Great for you folks who can go without, but I can't.
Old 04-12-2005, 05:52 PM
:-)

Mein Auto: E46 M3
Quote:
Been there, done that too! There were times when I didn't wash my previous car for a hell of a lot longer than that as well. In fact, I think I have now washed and detailled the bimmer more in the 3+ years I've owned it than the previous car in the 16 years I had it

I actually washed the car this past Friday before heading out to a driving school for the weekend, and now it desperately needs to be washed again. It's dead bug city, especially on the nose, but I won't have time until the Friday before bimmerfest to wash it again . Everyday dirt and brake dust I can lie with for a while, but all those squished bugs on the nose and windshield are just . Next time I gotta remember to bring along the blue painter's tape.
i always thought the blue tape was to protect the car and lights from chipping and cracking but that would also be handy for protecting against bugs. my car is now a royal mess also with all those red marks all over the front and windshield, i'll have to wash it this weekend.

02 M3 6MT - a bunch of mods | No V-CSL | No carbon fiber anywhere
Sold: 03 330Ci - No Leather | No Moonroof | No Step | European delivered
Old 04-12-2005, 06:15 PM
My TARDIS is a BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew330Ci
i always thought the blue tape was to protect the car and lights from chipping and cracking but that would also be handy for protecting against bugs. my car is now a royal mess also with all those red marks all over the front and windshield, i'll have to wash it this weekend.
It does both. It protects against chipping but also makes it easy to clean up as you just take the tape off with all the squished bugs with it. I have three rolls of it in my garage, but my garage is such a mess right now that I can't find a lot of the things in there. And I jsut ran out of time to buy some more before I got on the road.

Old 04-12-2005, 08:20 PM
DHP pwns ZHP :p

Mein Auto: DHP Heehee... :p
Quote:
It does both. It protects against chipping but also makes it easy to clean up as you just take the tape off with all the squished bugs with it. I have three rolls of it in my garage, but my garage is such a mess right now that I can't find a lot of the things in there. And I jsut ran out of time to buy some more before I got on the road.
Uh.. I don't think so... you seen how thin that tape is? It's not gonna protect against a chip... it's painters tape not StonGuard...

I use it mostly so I don't have to wipe bug guts or tire schmutz off the headlights and stuff... plus it makes me easier to identify by the other fellas if we're out on track together. Probably makes it easier for HACK to id us if he happens to be out taking pics...

'03 330Ci DHP
'06 M3 SMG
"du hast mich gefragt, und ich hab nichts gesagt"
Old 04-12-2005, 08:25 PM
My TARDIS is a BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by doeboy
Uh.. I don't think so... you seen how thin that tape is? It's not gonna protect against a chip... it's painters tape not StonGuard...
I didn't say it did a good job of protecting against chips . Of course, if you put several layers on, it'll be better.

Old 04-12-2005, 09:51 PM
DHP pwns ZHP :p

Mein Auto: DHP Heehee... :p
Quote:
I didn't say it did a good job of protecting against chips . Of course, if you put several layers on, it'll be better.
Better bring several rolls of tape then...

'03 330Ci DHP
'06 M3 SMG
"du hast mich gefragt, und ich hab nichts gesagt"
Old 04-13-2005, 10:26 AM
This side up.

Mein Auto: E46 M3, XL1200S, E39(RIP)
Quote:
Aside from the fact that my car was really dirty, I wanted to clean all the brake dust off the wheels before the school so I could see how much brake dust got generated with all the hard braking on the track.
My wheels are usually black after coming back from a track weekend. Driving on the track obviously gets 'em pretty dirty, but I also think that the drive to the track and back usually gets 'em pretty dirty as well. Since I know that they are gonna be black after the weekend, I usually wash it right after a track weekend. I don't want all that brake dust sitting on the wheel all caked on for too long.
Old 04-20-2005, 01:15 PM
Dragon Slayer

Mein Auto: 2004 M3
At least for the next two weeks as I finish out the college semester, I have to park outside and it blows. I wash it at least once a week because it gets exposed to all the elements.

When I get her home and remove the zillion layers of bugs from an eight-hour drive, I'm going to do a full Zaino detailing.

Two things I hate about spring/summer: all the pollen or stuff in the air is giving my car a coat of greenish yellow dust and all the bugs. Oh, do I hate them!

2004 ///M3 - Carbon Black/Cinnamon
Follow me on Twitter: @mnjames