Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E60 (2004 - 2010)

E60 (2004 - 2010)
BMW 5-Series (E60 chassis) was first seen in the Unites States in the fall of 2003 with a 2004 Model Year designation. The E60 is now available as a 528i, 528xi, 535i, 535xi, 550i and a 535xi sports wagon! -- View the E60 Wiki

Old 04-11-2005, 05:25 PM

Mein Auto: 2004 325i
Automobile Magazine Comparo

Just got my May issue of Automobile in the mail today. They have a comparison article of eight Sports Sedans. I do not have a link to the article. Here's some of the comments:

On a midwinter morning with the sunlight shimmering, these cars all have memorable shapes, the automotive equivalent of fine architecture. The BMW 5-series breaks the classic unified automotive form into a collection of fractured surfaces and it's the only car in memory that has inspired mention of a painting by Picaso...the word beauty never enters our converstion about this car. (I have to agree with that).

The BMW 545 is the car everyone identifies with fast driving. Although must enthusiats review this car when it's equiped with the massive wheels and stiff-legged suspension of the pricey sports package, we've decided to try out the civilian version at a more affordable price. We're sorry we did. The V-8 is wickedly strong, and the engine seems able to unleash a thunderclap of power at any rpm. The trouble is that it's hard to get a handle on it. The effort of the variable-ratio active steering goes light once you move the steering off-center, and the chassis floats just as the front end heels over. It feels as if BMW is using all the steering technology to enhance the driving experience without realizing it often isolates from feeling what's going on with the chassis and tires. The BMW 545i is terifically fast, but it suffers from mixed performance that doesn't live up to the price, and so it becomes...the good, the bad, and the ugly,

The winner of this comparo was the Audi A6 4.2, with the Lexus GS430 and the Mercedes E500 right behind.
Advertisement
Old 04-12-2005, 10:16 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 06 530 xi t
comparisons

those comparsions must be taken with a grain of salt. car and driver just did a similar one except it was a 530i instead of a 545. out of 8 cars the bimmer came in 6th. first was the infiniti m45. would buy an infiniti over a bimmer?

the magazines never mention how these cars will age. take a look at a ten year bimmer (any model) they are distinct, poised, classy automobiles. then, take a look at a ten year old acura, lexus, or infiniti (these makes all edged out the bimmer). they look generic, unintersting, and bland. not classy at all.
it is true that the japanese know how to make a reliable vehicle. we all know that.

they have yet to figure out how to make a car with that extra "spice" that extra degree of elegance that no numbers on the track can measure.
Old 04-15-2005, 08:41 AM

Mein Auto: 2007 335i; 1983 320i
Couldn't have said it better myself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wagonman
those comparsions must be taken with a grain of salt. car and driver just did a similar one except it was a 530i instead of a 545. out of 8 cars the bimmer came in 6th. first was the infiniti m45. would buy an infiniti over a bimmer?

the magazines never mention how these cars will age. take a look at a ten year bimmer (any model) they are distinct, poised, classy automobiles. then, take a look at a ten year old acura, lexus, or infiniti (these makes all edged out the bimmer). they look generic, unintersting, and bland. not classy at all.
it is true that the japanese know how to make a reliable vehicle. we all know that.

they have yet to figure out how to make a car with that extra "spice" that extra degree of elegance that no numbers on the track can measure.
Old 04-15-2005, 10:10 AM

Mein Auto: prelude
Sure, if you look at a 10 year old Infiniti\Lexus, they do not seem to look too classy. The thing is, 10 years ago BMWs\Mercedes were clearly better designed cars than the japanese makes. 10 years ago, Mercedes had the highest reliability of any make according to JD Power. Today Mercedes is at the bottom of the barrell in terms of reliability. Fast forward to today, the RL, M and GS are a harbinger of things to come from Japan, these cars are clearly technologically superior to anything out there today. If BMW\Mercedes does not get off thier butts, and start making better cars, the next versions of the RL, M and GS will clearly blow them out of the water. I'm not bashing european cars, as I am in the market for an 06 530i, but you have to admit Acura, Infiniti and Lexus are putting out some very fine cars.
Old 04-23-2005, 05:28 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: MS6-GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by wagonman
I dont even give them a grain; that's too much.

It's pretty telling when a car that was near last place in other comparos comes in first place all of a sudden. Shows they have their favorites going into these things and there is little, if any, fairness. People should buy whatever you they want and not give comparison tests a 2nd thought.

And to answer the last part, no way in hell would I buy any nissan over a Bimmer. Give me one free and clear and I'd just trade it or sell it for a competing BMW.