BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Wrong trim in M3 ZCP

5K views 10 replies 9 participants last post by  jetstream23 
#1 ·
A friend of mine that works at my dealership recently received his '05 Jet Black M3 with Competition Package. It has Imola Red interior and is absolutely stunning. Odd thing is that instead of the ZCP specific aluminum trim, the car was fitted with the Brushed aluminum trim that's optional on the standard M3. It doens't look bad or anything ... just very interesting to see such a mistake. I'm not sure what my friend is going to do about it. Anyone ever hear of this happening? :dunno:

#4 ·
I once saw an E46 330Ci that had silver headlight trim on the left side (as it was supposed to) and black headlight trim on the right (from a 325).

I also remember, from my Contour days, that every now and then an SVT owner would end up with non-SVT brakes.

Sometimes the factory puts on the wrong parts.

#6 ·
dawgbone said:
Mine showed up with brushed aluminum up front(right)...and wood on the the back two armrest(wrong)....Have they stopped drug screening over there??? :dunno:
Wow! There have to be a LOT of chances to catch an error like this at the factory and afterwards.

There are 8 pieces of trim: How about a car with every piece of a different kind? :D

#7 ·
LMC said:
Wow! There have to be a LOT of chances to catch an error like this at the factory and afterwards.

There are 8 pieces of trim: How about a car with every piece of a different kind? :D
Depends on how much dope you can smoke during assembly...You'd figure that someone would see that during inspection or customs or something..The dealership didn't even notice..and they had to detail it...I saw it as it was pulling up..of course I hadn't fired up a good one in years

#8 ·
LMC said:
I've had lots of discussion about this sort of thing with top peope at BMW NA. BMW AG's policy seems to be to have "final test" done by the customer and any repairs done by the dealer. Aside from hurting their quality scores, this makes both the customer and the dealer unhappy, and cuts into profits.

In my particular case, it took several visits to the dealer after delivery to discover errors in the wiring harness. It turns out there is no formal testing done on the harnesses (which are individually made for each car). Instead, during basic checkout when the car comes off the line, if they happen to notice anything (like the horn blowing when the turn signal is activated) they'll fix it. But things they don't notice don't get fixed.

BMW NA was sympathetic, but I got the impression they were unable to influence BMW AG in any manner on this subject.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.