Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > Welcome to Bimmerfest > BMW News Articles and Announcements

BMW News Articles and Announcements
Read the latest BMW headlines and discuss them with your fellow bimmer enthusiasts!

Closed Thread

Old 04-13-2005, 07:43 AM   #1
Festers Going to The 2005 One Lap of America by brave1heart

tim330i
Administrator

Show Printable Version Email this Page

Advertisement
posted by tim330i

Festers Going to The 2005 One Lap of America by brave1heart
Fellow ‘Festers,

In a couple of weeks, I and my co-driver Eric Smith are off to our first One Lap of America. As most of you know, One Lap is a direct descendant of the legendary Cannonball speed contests that started out in New York City and ended in Redondo Beach, CA. Over the years, the race has evolved into a series of time trials on road courses and ovals, drag races, autocross, and skidpad events. One Lap is the only opportunity in the world to compete on 10 different racetracks in 8 days while driving a total of over 3,600 miles!

Our Weapon of Choice
We will be driving my near-stock 2001 325i. The little 325i does OK at the autoX and track in its current configuration and it does not need much in the way of modifications (although an Atlanta Downing supercharger would help). It only has the BMW factory Sport package and the following mods:

• UUC sway bars
• TMS fixed front camber plates with -2 degrees camber all around
• TMS E46 Rear Subframe Reinforcement Kit
• R/D front strut brace
• ECIS CAI
• Shark Injector

The car still has the stock brakes, although we will be running more aggressive ATE Power Discs in the front with Ferodo DS2500 brake pads front and rear. We are using ATE Super Gold brake fluid and Red Line differential and tranny fluids. We chose Michelin PS2 235/40/17 street tires mounted on lightweight O.Z. Superleggera 17x8 wheels. The wheels alone saved us nearly 10 lbs of rotational weight per corner over the stock Star 44 wheels.

The Good Samaritans
We were determined to do the event on a tight budget. It soon became apparent that in order to stay within the budget, we would need help from sponsors. We have been amazed at the support and especially the enthusiasm with which vendors catering to the motorsports and BMW enthusiast community in particular have welcomed our team.

Turner Motorsport helped us with discounts on parts. Turner is so well known, they do not need introduction. They have worked on my car on a few occasions in the past and I’ve always had great experience with them.

I buy my pads from RaceShopper.com. In addition to competitive prices on brakes and quality service, they always have great advice when it comes to selecting the right pads for each car application. They were glad to provide us with some free pads and brakes advice for One Lap.

Club Motorsport, the builder of Valley Motorsports Park ™, a premier motorsports country club in the beautiful White Mountains of NH, offered to help us with the race gas that we need for all the time trials. Best of all, they also provided an additional incentive for us if we finish in the top half of our class. Once completed, Valley Motorsports Park will offer memberships, similar to a country club membership for golfing, and the opportunity to drive on a 3.3 mile, 18-turn road course, They will also offer a vehicle dynamics area, garage service, professional driver training, a pro shop, and more. We are convinced that the facility will be a huge success and a source of regional pride.

Autobahn Automotive provided a sports alignment for our car. They know BMWs very well (after all, that’s all they work on) and I think it’s fair to say that they are one of the very best BMW sports alignment shops in Eastern Mass. I contacted them with a request for help with preparing for One Lap and they were genuinely enthusiastic about helping us with the car alignment and geometry setup. In a car with maybe a tad over the modest stock rating of 184 HP, proper setup and handling become even more crucial for lap times.

Sansossio Auto Body mounted and balanced our One Lap tires - these guys are one of the best repair shops in the area and they have done a lot of good work for BMWCCA members. They are very reasonably priced and most of their business revenue goes straight into their racing efforts. They also support many budget racing ventures.

OG Racing had the best prices on race apparel and great service - they shipped out the race suit and brake fluid that they donated for the event within an hour of finalizing the sponsorship. Eric has ordered from them a few times in the past and has always had great experience with them! You have probably seen their ads in Roundel.

And last, Capital Cities Imported Cars in Albany, NY provided us with the spare parts that we need for One Lap. I had my car serviced there while working in the Albany, NY area for 3 years - they are a very well run dealership with terrific customer service.

The Cause
Eric and I thought that all this effort and energy would be completely wasted without putting some of it toward a worthwhile cause. With our participation in the One Lap event, we chose to promote the charity Books For Soldiers, which is a soldier support site that ships books, DVDs and supplies to deployed soldiers and soldiers in VA hospitals. Using their website, soldiers can make requests for needed items - anything from Skittles and sunglasses to books, DVDs, and gloves for local children. Participants simply post to say they are fulfilling the requests, and then mail out the items to the soldiers at the addresses that have been provided on the board. Eric has filled out a few requests and he has received back letters from appreciative soldiers. If you have old, but usable books or DVDs sitting around collecting dust, why not send them to a soldier for a big morale boost? Please visit BooksForSoldiers.com and make a donation to help sustain this effort. The web site is run by volunteers and operates on the donations and good will of others.

The Competitors
Our car will have an unfavorable power to weight ratio when compared to many cars in the event. Here is an incomplete list of the competitors in our Mid-Priced sedan class (vehicles with original purchase price between $20,000 and $40,000, ALL modifications allowed):

• 4 Subaru WRX STi (one of them pumping 500+ HP)
• an Infiniti G35
• a Dodge Magnum
• a heavily modded Mitsubishi Evo
• a heavily modded Chevrolet Impalla SS
• a Mercedes-Benz 190E
• a 1999 328i

Most of these cars are driven by Lap Dogs (the “official” term for One Lap vets).

It’s safe to say that our car will be outpowered by at least 100 HP average in our class. Hopefully, we will offset some of our car’s horsepower deficiency (at least by One Lap standards) with good event preparation.

The Schedule
A couple of months ago, Eric put together our Absolute Puppies Racing team’s One Lap website (http://www.ABsolutePuppies.com). We hope we’ll be able to provide daily updates of our participation in the event on our team’s website http://www.ABsolutePuppies.com. Please visit the website regularly once the event starts on April 30. Better yet, if you are anywhere near the 2005 One Lap venues, stop by the track to support the 9 BMWs and 2 Minis that have been entered in the event. Here is a complete event schedule:

2005 TireRack Cannonball One Lap of America Schedule

Friday April 29
- Registration, Drivers Meeting and Welcoming Party

Saturday April 30 at The TireRack
- Wet skidpad challenge.

Saturday April 30 at Indianapolis Raceway Park
- 2 Time Trials

Sunday May 1 at BeaveRun
- 2 Time Trials

Sunday May 1 at Lancaster Speedway
- 1/2 mile oval

Monday May 2 at New Hampshire International Speedway
- 2 Time Trials

Tuesday May 3 at Summit Point
- 2 Time Trials

Tuesday May 3 at Mason Dixon Dragway
- Low ET Drag and Bracket Drag

Wednesday May 4 at Virginia International Raceway
- 3 Time Trials (minimum)

Wednesday May 4 at Carolina Rod Shop
- Passage Control

Thursday May 5 at Roebling Road
- 2 Time Trials

Friday May 6 at Nelson Ledges
- 2 Time Trials

Saturday May 7 at The TireRack
- Dry Skid Pad Shootout
- Finish at TireRack

Special thanks to 'Festers LarryN (best mechanic I've ever seen), Cenotaph (great guy to hang out with), Bluetree211 (one of the best autocrossers in the Boston Chapter) and FrenchBoy who designed our cool One Lap team's t-shirts.

We hope to see you at the track!

Sponsors

Links:

http://www.AbsolutePuppies.com
http://www.OneLapofAmerica.com

Images from New Hampshire International Speedway.

This article has been viewed 4404 times.
Old 04-13-2005, 07:50 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Nick325xiT 5spd Send a message via AIM to Nick325xiT 5spd Send a message via Yahoo to Nick325xiT 5spd
Mein Auto: M3 & 323i/999 KP

Say hi to Neil and Woody. (Red, supercharged M Coupe.)
1990 325is Brilliantrot/Tan
1989 325is S50B30US Alpinweiß/Black
1989 M3 Alpinweiß/Black S50B32 (321hp, ITBs)

Old 04-13-2005, 08:01 AM
OMGWTFBBQ

Mein Auto:
There is at least one more bimmerfest member competing...Neil in a superbadass M Coupe in SSGT1 Small Bore. He won that class last year (with codriver Woody)

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
Closed Thread