Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)

E46 (1999 - 2006)
The fourth generation 3 Series (E46 chassis) was introduced in 1999 and set the standard for engineering and performance during it's years of production including being named to Car & Driver's 10 best list every one of those years! ! -- View the E46 Wiki

Old 04-13-2005, 09:08 PM
Grinning from ear to ear

Mein Auto: is way too fast
homelink short range?

My new Bimmer has the homelink (Universal Transceiver). However I notice that it's range is quite short. This is in comparison to my previous car - a Nissan Altima. I used to be able to open the garage door before I turned onto my street, (I'm the 2nd house in), and therefore the door was open as I pulled into my driveway. Now I have to be on the street - maybe 100 feet or so from the house, which means I have to wait for the door to open while I'm sitting in my driveway. Does anyone else have this short range problem?
Old 04-13-2005, 09:30 PM
Ubergeek

Send a message via AIM to KrisL Send a message via Yahoo to KrisL
Mein Auto: 330i ZHP
Yes... it's a known issue.

A few years ago, someone said that they were able to call homelink and get the company to send him some sort of new antenna for the unit.
Old 04-13-2005, 09:32 PM
Grinning from ear to ear

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrisL
Yes... it's a known issue.

A few years ago, someone said that they were able to call homelink and get the company to send him some sort of new antenna for the unit.
Got anymore details?
Old 04-13-2005, 10:09 PM
24/7 Bimmer Addict

Send a message via MSN to sunnykk Send a message via Yahoo to sunnykk
Mein Auto: 05 330i ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by icemanjs4
My new Bimmer has the homelink (Universal Transceiver). However I notice that it's range is quite short. This is in comparison to my previous car - a Nissan Altima. I used to be able to open the garage door before I turned onto my street, (I'm the 2nd house in), and therefore the door was open as I pulled into my driveway. Now I have to be on the street - maybe 100 feet or so from the house, which means I have to wait for the door to open while I'm sitting in my driveway. Does anyone else have this short range problem?
I noticed that, even the remote control on the key has a short range.
OEM: Alarm, Universal Trainsmitter, I-Pod, Mud Flaps; After Market: Clear Bra, 3M-Tint-27%, Passport 8500X-Hard Wired
DIY: Euro Tray, Al Foot-pedals & Foot-rest, ULO Front & Rear Clears, Clutch Stop, De-badged

Old 04-13-2005, 10:45 PM
Grinning from ear to ear

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnykk
Oooh I agree. I used to be able to unlock my car from across the parking lot. Now I have to be within maybe 100ft to unlock. WTF!!
Old 04-13-2005, 11:14 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: e46 M3
Yep, I think my (seperate) e36 remote is WAY to short on range... the e46 in key remote makes the e36 look like a long distance contender! Sucks. I was hoping for more range in the new car. No dice

First picture is me trying that CHIN thing to get more range out of the remote.

Second is where the car was in relation to the bridge I was walking down.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	NearLucca066.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	154.3 KB
ID:	48348   Click image for larger version

Name:	NearLucca067.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	132.2 KB
ID:	48349  
Old 04-13-2005, 11:44 PM
There and back again

Mein Auto: 2003 325xiT, 2006 Atom
Quote:
Oooh I agree. I used to be able to unlock my car from across the parking lot. Now I have to be within maybe 100ft to unlock. WTF!!
Aside from the chin trick, the best location to unlock the car is at the left rear since that is where the antenna for the key receiver is.

There are some locations with lots of radio interference. I have only found one, but it is a pain - right in front of Amanda's 5th Avenue apartment. I need to be right up against the antenna in order to lock / unlock the car. Sometimes even that won't work and I have to use the key (which will set off the alarm).
Old 04-14-2005, 12:09 AM
ex-M couper

Send a message via Yahoo to Bob Clevenger
Mein Auto: '06 650i Coupe
Remote control devices are intended to be short-range to minimise interference, but longer range comes in very handy when trying to locate your car (a nondescript rental in this case) in the middle of a pitch-dark parking area in Gettysburg,PA after a day of re-enacting! Gray car, unfamiliar car, new moon, no lights --- hitting the remote and seeing the parking lights blink was wonderful!

Monaco Blue 650i coupe; 6MT, HUD, ACC, ZCW, ZPS. Redelivered 20 July 2006
Old 04-14-2005, 06:24 AM
Padawan

Mein Auto: 2004 330ci Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by e36M3r
First picture is me trying that CHIN thing to get more range out of the remote.
Did it work?

--J.
2004|330ci|Convertible|Silver Grey Metallic|Sport Package|Premium Package|Steptronic|NAV|Xenon Adaptive Headlights|Heated Seats|Black Montana Leather|Aluminum Brushed Column Trim|SSR/GT3 19" Rims (original 18" Style 71's in storage)
Old 04-14-2005, 08:31 AM

Mein Auto: X3
Quote:
Several years ago, I contacted the company (www.homelink.com) and they sent me a free (if I remember correctly) "upgrade" (which was basically a piece of aluminum foil with adhesive) that enhanced the range (slightly) on my 330Ci. I don't know if they'll still do it, but it might be worth visiting the site or giving them a shout.
BMW CCA #115780
'14 X3 35i M sport
Old 04-14-2005, 09:40 AM

Mein Auto: e46 M3
1/2 way. It unlocked the car from that range, but would not re-lock it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonathanIT
Did it work?

--J.
Old 04-14-2005, 10:10 AM

Mein Auto: 2002 330i
short range key

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnykk
try the chin trick or the tongue trick. Stick the tip of the key against your tongue and try it - triples the range.

Eric L.
Germantown Maryland
2002 330i
2003 Honda Odyssey
(more HP, more torque, and 3 more seats!)
Old 04-14-2005, 10:43 AM

Mein Auto: 2005 325i Sport/Manual
Just got this reply from Homelink today

Thank you for visiting our HomeLink website and for your inquiry. Unfortunately we do not offer that external fix any longer, all new Homelink system for BMW(since 2001) have had that device implemented into the unit. I have a few suggestions you might try to help with the issue you are having with your Homelink and garage door opener.

**Put a new battery in your hand-held transmitter. Training the HomeLink system
takes more power from the battery than when you push the button to open
the door. Sometimes by putting a new battery in the hand-held transmitter, will
send a stronger signal and increases the range on the hand held transmitter.

**Retrain the HomeLink at different lengths and angles. Start by holding
the hand-held transmitter 3-4 inches away then 5-6, even 6-8 inches from
the buttons.

**Try a second hand held transmitter with new batteries.

**Straighten the antenna wire that hangs down from the garage door
opener motorhead in the garage.

**Try programming all 3 HomeLink buttons.
Old 04-14-2005, 10:53 AM
Ubergeek

Send a message via AIM to KrisL Send a message via Yahoo to KrisL
Mein Auto: 330i ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjh325

Apparently the person that answered your inquiry did not understand the issue. All of the solutions given are great if you're having a problem training the homelink.
Old 04-14-2005, 11:12 AM
Nerd

Mein Auto: ist alt.
We mod the heck out of our cars... is it time to mod the homelink modules? I'm sure there are plenty of electrical engineers around here.
Old 04-14-2005, 01:27 PM
Padawan

Mein Auto: 2004 330ci Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by KrisL
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjh325
Apparently the person that answered your inquiry did not understand the issue. All of the solutions given are great if you're having a problem training the homelink.
Not really; read it carefully (the last "hand held" may be a typo; then it makes sense)

I think what they are saying is, put new batteries in the transmitter you are using to train the homelink in the BMW. I just "re-trained" the homelink in our '02 Lexus LS430 a couple weeks ago. I remember from the instructions in the owner's manual that it says "replace the batteries first" in the unit you are using to send the signal to the car's homelink system (I didn't really pay attention--who has time for this; it works doesn't it?). I guess maybe it does make a difference! It appears the signal strength that it receives for programming has a direct correlation to the signal that it puts out afterwards.

I think they are saying also that the angle that you hold the transmitter to the car's homelink when programming has an effect on the signal strength that the car will put out.

Wow, this is really interesting! I had no idea how the Homelink system works, but it kinda makes sense if you think about it. I'm going to replace all of our transmitter batteries and reprogram everything!

--J.
2004|330ci|Convertible|Silver Grey Metallic|Sport Package|Premium Package|Steptronic|NAV|Xenon Adaptive Headlights|Heated Seats|Black Montana Leather|Aluminum Brushed Column Trim|SSR/GT3 19" Rims (original 18" Style 71's in storage)

Last edited by JonathanIT; 04-14-2005 at 01:33 PM.
Old 04-14-2005, 03:41 PM

Mein Auto: 2005 325i Sport/Manual
yeah Jonathan, that's what i took from it too.

I'll see how it works...nothing to lose

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonathanIT
Not really; read it carefully (the last "hand held" may be a typo; then it makes sense)

I think what they are saying is, put new batteries in the transmitter you are using to train the homelink in the BMW. I just "re-trained" the homelink in our '02 Lexus LS430 a couple weeks ago. I remember from the instructions in the owner's manual that it says "replace the batteries first" in the unit you are using to send the signal to the car's homelink system (I didn't really pay attention--who has time for this; it works doesn't it?). I guess maybe it does make a difference! It appears the signal strength that it receives for programming has a direct correlation to the signal that it puts out afterwards.

I think they are saying also that the angle that you hold the transmitter to the car's homelink when programming has an effect on the signal strength that the car will put out.

Wow, this is really interesting! I had no idea how the Homelink system works, but it kinda makes sense if you think about it. I'm going to replace all of our transmitter batteries and reprogram everything!

--J.
Old 04-14-2005, 04:18 PM
Rest in peace, Coach

Mein Auto: '06 MZ4C, '09 WRX Wagon
Part of the problem, is that Homelink basically "clones" the signal of the remote you're trying to program. So, weak original remote, weaker homelink signal.

Replace the battery in your remote, then program homelink to learn the signal. That should boost the range of the homelink device.
Old 04-14-2005, 09:17 PM
just copacetic!!!

Mein Auto: 2013 328i, 2003 325i
The range on my X5's remote and UGO are noticeably better than that of my E46's. I can open and lock with the X's remote a good 3X further than the E46's. The UGO on the X came factory installed but I installed the one in the 325i myself, not sure if the factory installed unit is better?
'89 325i Bronz, AT(retired)
'02 325i StlGrey, AT, PP, SP
'13 328i AlpWhite, AT8, Xenon, HK
Old 04-14-2005, 11:35 PM

Mein Auto: 3x330,AMV8,996GT2
The X5 is also higher up and that probably does make a difference in range.

Anyway, the "upgrade" is a piece of foil as said before. Go cut some foil and wrap it around a few times to extend the range. I've read on the forums it can work hundreds of feet further than without the foil upgrade.
Old 04-15-2005, 03:25 PM
Grinning from ear to ear

So has anyone tried the new battery trick mentioned above? Also does homelink simply record an Analog signal? I assumed that with rolling code generators, it records some sort of pattern that it can use to generate the new codes, which I then assumed either would be digital, or if analog would at least come in at full strength (since homelink has to generate the code anyway).
Old 04-29-2005, 02:05 PM
Matching beemer & bimmer

Mein Auto: 1999 K1200 & 2001 525
Of the scores of Homelink transceiver threads on Bimmerfest I've now read, none had all the details, but, this one contained the BEST DESCRIPTION OF HOW TO IMPROVE RANGE!.

Thanks.

Since I can throw a watermelon farther than the range of my 2002 Homelink GDO, I'm going to try all of the above suggestions (and I'll have the dealer test the results). I'll post all my findings to this thread (which asks how to TEST at the DEALERSHIP):
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...28#post1174828

Last edited by shaftdrive; 04-29-2005 at 02:09 PM.
Old 04-29-2005, 03:39 PM
Grinning from ear to ear

I ended up calling Homelink. Here's all of the info that I could gather. The signal that the unit transmits is a combination analog and digital. The digital part is the rolling code generator. Since it's generating the code, it transmits at full strength. The analog part is the signal that it learns from your original remote control. If your remote pushes out a weak signal - it simply copies a weak signal. As mentioned before, the best bet is to use a fresh set of batteries to retrain the unit. and make sure the transmitter is pointing directly at your car's Homelink unit.

Good luck with your fix - I'm yet to try it on mine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaftdrive
Of the scores of Homelink transceiver threads on Bimmerfest I've now read, none had all the details, but, this one contained the BEST DESCRIPTION OF HOW TO IMPROVE RANGE!.

Thanks.

Since I can throw a watermelon farther than the range of my 2002 Homelink GDO, I'm going to try all of the above suggestions (and I'll have the dealer test the results). I'll post all my findings to this thread (which asks how to TEST at the DEALERSHIP):
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...28#post1174828
Old 04-30-2005, 02:14 PM
Matching beemer & bimmer

Mein Auto: 1999 K1200 & 2001 525
Do you get less range with the trainer than the trainee?

The interesting thing is that the velcro-mounted "source" non-rolling-code remote from my motorcycle fairing which I used to train my "target" BMW Homelink universal garage door opener has many times the range of the resultant target BMW.

At least in my case, it seems the target range is much less (more than half?) that of the source range (as have some others), even when the BMW bike is not pointed anywhere near the garage.

Is this imperfect-cloning phenomenon the general experience?

Do you (you being the Bimmerfest you) get much less (say less than half) the range of your source remote with your target BMW?

Last edited by shaftdrive; 04-30-2005 at 02:19 PM.
Old 04-30-2005, 03:04 PM
There and back again

Mein Auto: 2003 325xiT, 2006 Atom
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaftdrive
Do you (you being the Bimmerfest you) get much less (say less than half) the range of your source remote with your target BMW?
I get much better range with the UGDO in the BMW than with the Lift+Master remote I trained it with. This was a dealer install (at new car purchase time) of the UGDO. No modifications were done to the stock UGDO.