Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)

X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)
The X5 SAV Forum

Old 04-17-2005, 04:50 PM

Mein Auto: 2003 BMW X5 4.4i
Correct Tire Pressure?

Anyone have any suggestions for correct tire pressure for front/rear on 2003 X5 4.4i ...usually not hauling anything heavier than golf clubs. etc .. Live in NYC Metropolitan area, so warmer weather approaching & was curious to what proper levels should be. Thanks

Mark
Ads by Google
Old 04-17-2005, 06:25 PM
Super Moderator

Mein Auto: 2009 W906
Just a thought, but you might check on your driver's side door interior panel for a tire pressure label showing recommended tire pressures...?

Over to the X-perts as it were badabum...

- J.C. Watts Jr.
Old 04-17-2005, 06:31 PM
TTSam

Mein Auto: E92 M3 - 535 xDrive
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlewis67
Anyone have any suggestions for correct tire pressure for front/rear on 2003 X5 4.4i ...usually not hauling anything heavier than golf clubs. etc .. Live in NYC Metropolitan area, so warmer weather approaching & was curious to what proper levels should be. Thanks

Mark
As mentioned look on your drivers door panel for your tire size.

This is usually the maximum loading. Your manual should list the range for low or high weight conditions. Somewhere in the middle is a good compromise.

You could also visit your tire manufacturer's web site to get ratings.

The higher end of the range will improve mileage - but possibly reduce ride quality.
911 Retired
328xiT Retired
X3 Retired
Old 04-18-2005, 03:47 AM
SJU Hawk ! Goin' Big!

Send a message via AIM to TSAGG
Mein Auto: '06 BMW 330i sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by JG
As mentioned look on your drivers door panel for your tire size.

This is usually the maximum loading. Your manual should list the range for low or high weight conditions. Somewhere in the middle is a good compromise.

You could also visit your tire manufacturer's web site to get ratings.

The higher end of the range will improve mileage - but possibly reduce ride quality.
The manual shows handy pictures of a car with stick people and luggage to suggest fully loaded, and then one with just stick people....shows tire pressure for both scenarios. AMAZING what's in that little book that comes with the car!

2002 X5 3.0 Sport Package, Premium, Cold Weather, Steel Gray w/ Black Leather (sold)
1997 328is - sport pkg. (retired)
2006 330i Sport, NAV, Prem, Active steering, etc., etc.
1970 Corvette Convertible, 350 ci, 300 hp, 4 sp
Old 05-25-2005, 09:15 AM

Mein Auto: X5 2005
Correct Tire Pressure

In a previous messge, Mark asked about the correct tire pressure for a 2003 X5, V8.
I had 40 all the way around in my 2005 X5 right off the show room floor. I recently had a back tire repaired and the tire shop set the fronts to 32 and the rears to 39 per the pressure guide inside the driver's door. so check there, but beware.
I now can't get the low pressure light on the dash board to go out even after following the owners manual instructions (I know the procedure is correct as we accomlished it once before just after I added air (back to 40 PSI).
Does anyone know if the 32 psi up front is too low?
Could the tire store have done something preventing the sensor(s) from functioning correclty?
You all have a great day!
X5Bob
Old 05-25-2005, 01:40 PM

Mein Auto: 2003 X54.4i
Quote:
Originally Posted by X5Bob
In a previous messge, Mark asked about the correct tire pressure for a 2003 X5, V8.
I had 40 all the way around in my 2005 X5 right off the show room floor. I recently had a back tire repaired and the tire shop set the fronts to 32 and the rears to 39 per the pressure guide inside the driver's door. so check there, but beware.
I now can't get the low pressure light on the dash board to go out even after following the owners manual instructions (I know the procedure is correct as we accomlished it once before just after I added air (back to 40 PSI).
Could the tire store have done something preventing the sensor(s) from functioning correclty?
X5Bob
I have 19" wheels and the sticker on the door said 32psi
Old 05-27-2005, 08:33 AM
Registered ABUSER!

Mein Auto: 2001 M Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by X5Bob
X5Bob
The tyre shop cannot do anything that would affect the sensors. The way the system works is by measuring rotational diffences between all 4 tyres. For example, if they're all set (and calibrated) to 32 PSI and there's a drop of pressure in one, then that tyre will rotate slower triggering the light. The door jamb indicates two settings; one for light loads. The other for max load. Min load is usually 32 PSI all around. The sensors used for tyre pressure monitoring are the DSC sensors (which are not in the wheels themselves).

The basics are this: set the pressure COLD. Use the best tyre pressure guage money can buy. Not the pencil type petrol station junk. Once set, insert key in ignition and switch to accessory mode (but don't start the car). Press and hold the tyre pressure button until the light goes out. You have now calibrated all 4 tyres. I have the actual BMW document outlining the procedure but it's also in your manual.
Old 05-27-2005, 01:22 PM

Mein Auto: Z3C, Z3R, X5
I run 34 in the front and 31 in the rear, for around town. We have ****ty roads, and 90% of any kind of rough ride experience you'd get from an X comes from the rear suspension. Lowering the fronts won't really do much to change this. So, I crank the fronts up some, and lower the rears. Result is that she provides a super comfy ride, but I can still take corners hard and have little body roll and max fun.

For performance sport driving out in the country, that pressure differentiation will result in oversteer (rear end may want to slide out). This is more prevelant with the rear wheel drive Bimmers. The X is less prone to this. But still, I'm tossing out that little caution / disclaimer. And by the way, I'm talking about seriously cornering hard at higher speeds.. to produce the oversteer scenario. 34/31 works perfectly for "spirited" driving.

For "pushing the envelope" performance cornering the X, like every Bimmer I've tried, seems to really love even tire pressures all around. Try 34/34 for starters. 36/36 works great too. 32/32 works just fine, but the car will body roll more.

'02 Z3 Coupe 3.0i [Hellröt II - Walnuß]
'03 X5 3.0i [GrauGrün - Beige]
'01 Z3 Roadster 3.0i [AlpenWeiß - TraumRöt]