Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)

E46 (1999 - 2006)
The fourth generation 3 Series (E46 chassis) was introduced in 1999 and set the standard for engineering and performance during it's years of production including being named to Car & Driver's 10 best list every one of those years! ! -- View the E46 Wiki

Old 04-18-2005, 05:18 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '01 AA s/c 330i
Is there a sensor in the E46 seatbelt receptacle?

I'm in need of some help where I switched out my stock 330i black leather Sport seats for a set of Recaro's. I didn't have my stock seats with me at the bodyshop when they did the swap and was going to sell them, so they got me a pair of E36 seat belt receptacles to bolt onto the sides of my Recaro's.

My problem is that I'm getting a computer errorcode about 'Front and Passenger side seat belt' and thats it. So I'm wondering if there are any sensors in the actual E46 receptacles to tell the onboard system anything?

Any help would be most appreciated!! Thanks everyone...

Under Construction...
Advertisement
Old 04-18-2005, 05:25 PM
Is it Trackday yet?

Mein Auto: 05 330ci 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickACS
I'm in need of some help where I switched out my stock 330i black leather Sport seats for a set of Recaro's. I didn't have my stock seats with me at the bodyshop when they did the swap and was going to sell them, so they got me a pair of E36 seat belt receptacles to bolt onto the sides of my Recaro's.

My problem is that I'm getting a computer errorcode about 'Front and Passenger side seat belt' and thats it. So I'm wondering if there are any sensors in the actual E46 receptacles to tell the onboard system anything?

Hmmm, i'm not sure about the seat belt recepticals, but I do know there is a sensor in the passenger seat bottom that lets the computer know if a person is seated there or not. If no person, the pass air bag will not go off in the event of a collision.

"You drive like old people $#@%... slow and sloppy!" - George Carlin
Old 04-18-2005, 06:14 PM
DHP pwns ZHP :p

Mein Auto: DHP Heehee... :p
Quote:

I dunno if the E36 seat belt system has the pre-tensioner devices by the belt receptacles. I'm wondering if what you're seeing is the fact that the car senses the pre-tensioner devices are no longer present, thus throwing an error code since this is supposed to be part of the safety system that is in the car.

When you replace the seats/seatbelt receptacles in an E46, you either need to transplant the receptacle devices back into the car, or somehow rig it so that the car "thinks" the stock pre-tensioner devices are still there.

'03 330Ci DHP
'06 M3 SMG
"du hast mich gefragt, und ich hab nichts gesagt"
Old 04-18-2005, 06:43 PM

Mein Auto: E90 M3
Yes, there are electronics in the seat belt buckles. The buckles contain pre-tensioners to help hold you in the seat in the event of a collision. The firing circuit for the seatbelt buckles is monitored by the airbag module. Everything in the MRS (multiple restraint system) is very sensitive. I'm assuming you just unplugged the connectors from the old buckles and left them loose under the seat. This would set "open circuit" faults for both front buckles. The best way to fix this would be to install the E46 buckles. That way they are functional, and no more fault codes.
-Andy
Old 04-18-2005, 07:17 PM
King of Rear Clunks

Mein Auto: 01 325iT, 88 M6
There are 4 wires going to the driver's buckle and 3 to the passenger's.

-power
-ground
-pretensioner control

Driver's side gets a wire to the indicator in the dash
Old 04-19-2005, 07:39 PM

Wow, thanks so much everyone! A wealth of info Very much appreciated..

Ok, so sounds like my E36 ones gotta go and don't have the pre-tensioners/devices that the car needs to "sense". Gotcha... I'll see about getting E46 ones asap..

Thanks again for the help!

Under Construction...
Old 04-20-2005, 09:44 PM

Mein Auto: E90 M3
Quote:
Wow, thanks so much everyone! A wealth of info Very much appreciated..

Ok, so sounds like my E36 ones gotta go and don't have the pre-tensioners/devices that the car needs to "sense". Gotcha... I'll see about getting E46 ones asap..

Thanks again for the help!

Nick, glad to be of help. Just to let you know, the E36 buckles do have a pre-tensioner mechanism. They are probably not compatible with the later MRS system in the car though. Get the E46 buckles, connect all the wires, clear the fault codes and be happy .
-Andy
Old 04-22-2005, 06:34 AM

Ok great.. thanks Andy and everyone else again

One more question if I may. My bodyshop also noticed that the red "little man" seat belt buckle idiot light doesn't come on at all. You when you turn your car on and that "little man" idiot light comes on and stays on until you buckle your seatbelt? Because they noticed that even if you turn the key to position 2, where all the idiot lights come on for a second or two, the "little man" isn't even on then.
He said either 1 of 2 things:
a) The idiot light has burned out (highly unlikely)
b) The interior shop that swapped my oem -> Recaro seats went into the dash and disabled the light

I don't think it was neither, I still think its all the electronics/airbag/etc circuitry that the interior guy did under the seat to bypass stuff.
Do you think that one wire that goes from driver seat to dash is the culprit maybe?

Thanks again!

Under Construction...
Old 04-27-2005, 04:15 PM

bump...

Sorry, just seeing if anyone might know any info about my last questions/dilemma?

Thanks in advance!

Under Construction...
Old 05-06-2005, 08:38 PM

bumpity bump any ideas on my last question?

Under Construction...