Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)

E36 (1991 - 1999)
The E36 chassis 3-Series BMW was a huge hit among driving enthusiasts from the first moment the car hit the pavement. The E36 won numerous awards over the years it was produced and is still a favorite of many BMW enthusiasts to this day! -- View the E36 Wiki

Old 04-20-2005, 06:25 AM

Mein Auto: 325i
Fading trip computer display

Hello,

I drive a 1995 325i, unfortunately it looks my car is showing signs of age. The LCD/LED display unit of the trip computer/system messages has practically faded out completely. Is this something that I can replace on my own and further where can I order a spare? If there are any instructions, can you point it to me. I have not been able to find anything searching through google and the like.

The mechanic that I spoke to told me that this would cost me atleast $500 if not more to get replaced. Another friend of mine suggested getting a "german" unit, but again I am not sure how to go about that either.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
G
Advertisement
Old 04-20-2005, 08:13 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: E36's
Quote:
Originally Posted by govardha
Hello,

I drive a 1995 325i, unfortunately it looks my car is showing signs of age. The LCD/LED display unit of the trip computer/system messages has practically faded out completely. Is this something that I can replace on my own and further where can I order a spare? If there are any instructions, can you point it to me. I have not been able to find anything searching through google and the like.

The mechanic that I spoke to told me that this would cost me atleast $500 if not more to get replaced. Another friend of mine suggested getting a "german" unit, but again I am not sure how to go about that either.

Thank you,
G
First, go tell your mechanic to shove it up his ass to tell you such a lie. Unless he buys them BRAND NEW at the Dealership and even then he should still shove it up his ass, to suggest that .

Second, go tell you friend that most if not all parts for the your BMW are made in germany (europe), hence you drive a GERMAN CAR

Now here's the FACT. 1. You can try to troubleshoot the problem, by looking and making sure that all the little bulb are working (much like your Xmas lights). If they all work, then yes your LCD is dying and you would need to replace the whole unit.

You can get a used one from any 1994-1995 car and they are pretty cheap. Last price I found was less then $120shipped. You should also check out Ebay.
Old 04-20-2005, 08:30 AM

Mein Auto: 325i
Thanks for your comment.

When my friend alluded to a german part, I should have clarified. The display unit he had displayed in his E36 displayed output in German and in km rather than in english and in miles. Although that would be cool ;-).

What part should I search for in ebay? The panel has faded out quite a bit. The only way I can see it is weirdly so in bright daylight. Thanks for your response.

Govardhanen
Old 04-20-2005, 06:33 PM
Retired Slacker

Mein Auto: A car.
I agree. Ebay is a good source for these units. I bought a radio/cd player there for my E36. The LED's were dark on the old one. Good Luck...
Old 10-22-2007, 10:26 AM

Mein Auto: BMW 328i 1998
Similar problem 98 328i

Could you please tell me if you got this fixed. I have exactly similar problem. My odomoeter lights are faded - almost invisible ...and the place where the temperature is displayed is gone too. How much did it cost you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by govardha View Post
Thanks for your comment.

When my friend alluded to a german part, I should have clarified. The display unit he had displayed in his E36 displayed output in German and in km rather than in english and in miles. Although that would be cool ;-).

What part should I search for in ebay? The panel has faded out quite a bit. The only way I can see it is weirdly so in bright daylight. Thanks for your response.

Govardhanen
Old 11-02-2007, 06:51 PM
still pushin' big wheels

Mein Auto: '95 325i
Hey guys

This just happened to me too and I haven't tried it yet but . . .

The lights on my radio display screen went out too and they seem to be the same basic thing - I pulled my radio out and removed the "lid" and just gave the bulb a little shake. Now my radio light is super bright.

Like I said, I haven't tried it with the computer display yet, but just thought I'd mention. . .
Old 11-02-2007, 07:07 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Send a message via Yahoo to BMW_tech
Mein Auto: rickshaw
Quote:
Originally Posted by govardha View Post
Hello,

Thank you,
G

keep in mind that the liquid crystal display only fails on e-39 and e-38 vehicles and typically a dot or 2 at a time on the matrix display.on e-36 however,there are backlighting to illuminate the display.if you try to shine a light in front of it you can see the readout or display,and if so you only need to replace the bulbs.
is it the instrument cluster trip/odometer readout? heres a pic :

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...08&hg=62&fg=05

or is it the on-board computer on your center console? heres a pic:

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...89&hg=62&fg=40

12 volt 1.5 watt bulbs (3) for the OBC with P/N 62 11 1 391 260 costs approx. $2.68

and I believe there are 2 of the same bulbs on the instrument cluster for the odometer and the trip/counter computer.

THERE ARE D.I.Y. THREADS so if that is your next question I recommend you search for it.

also there is an intensiy switch you can adjust,one thing most owners (NEW) forget they have.heres what it looks like,PART # 5 ON THIS PICTURE

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...63&hg=61&fg=35

Last edited by BMW_tech; 11-02-2007 at 07:11 PM.
Old 11-11-2007, 08:28 PM

Mein Auto: 1997 328i 5-speed alpine
buy some bulbs...

...But avoid purchasing the replacement bulbs from the stealer. I replaced all four bulbs in my OBC, but made the mistake of buying the bulbs from BMW to the tune of five bucks a piece. Oh well, I was in a hurry for some reason. Regardless of the fact I overpaid for bulbs, the OBC looks much better with all the lights working. Replacing the bulbs was a piece of cake, simply reach up through the roof of your sunglass bin, stick your finger in the hole and pry out the On Board Computer. Four bulbs in the top
Old 11-12-2007, 10:38 AM
Resident Pilot

Mein Auto: BMW Not Found
Yeah, as the last two guys mentioned, unless pixels are dying out, it's the backlighting bulbs, which are rather cheap and available from PelicanParts and BavAuto alike. Simple fix!
(there should be a BavAuto write up in one of their quarterly newsletters which they keep archived on their site)

1993 325is - Frigg - Grounded
2001 Z3 2.5 - Išunn - Active
Old 08-16-2012, 10:09 AM
jerrytheautodoc

Send a message via Yahoo to jerrytheautodoc
Mein Auto: E32
Fantastic thread! Thanks to all who posted. I just had a customer come back after a simple engine repair and say that ever since... (lol, i love the "ever since") anyway his trip computer didnt work since he had the repair work done. loose connection at the backlight bulb, replaced the bulb/holder and badabing! done! Thanks tons folks!