Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > Bimmerfest 2014 > Previous Events > 2005 Events > Bimmerfest 2005: Santa Barbara, CA

Bimmerfest 2005: Santa Barbara, CA
Information, stories, and photos of the biggest BMW show in the land...

Old 04-20-2005, 10:13 AM
Admin • Owner • Enthusiast
Bimmerfest Founder

Mein Auto: E92 M3 Cp
Important Bimmerfest Info. (all attendees please read)

Well gang, it looks like we've dodged a bullet once again! Weather forecasts over the past week have predicted a chance of rain for Saturday, but revised predictions are now calling for sunshine...

At this time as the chief organizer of the event I'd just like to share some great news with you. In case you haven't already heard, we have several prominent race car teams and drivers that will be attending Bimmerfest and signing autographs this year, most noteworthy being Bill Auberlen and his #96 Turner Motorsports car, Michael McDowell and Memo Gidley with the Finlay Motorsports Dinan-Powered BMW Daytona Prototype and M3 race cars! Our lineup of featured Tuners/Vendors is much, much greater than any we've had at previous Bimmerfest events. The quality of the show cars on display will be nothing short of mind-blowing...

All of the sponsors of the event have anted up an incredible array of prizes to won in the Bimmerfest "Opportunity Drawing" (i.e., charity raffle). Make sure to bring plenty of money to purchase tickets for chances to win prizes like a set of Hamann Wheels, a set of Yokohamas, a set of Toyos, a set of Bridgestones; the list of prizes is huge. In a bulk email to everyone who registered for the event online I erroneously stated that there would be a set of Praxis tires; please accept my apologies. All proceeds will go to benefit the oldest non-profit agency in Santa Barbara - Family Service Agency. Tickets will sell for $5 each. We will also have official Bimmerfest event t-shirts on sale; they look awesome! There will also be an official event program - be sure to grab one.

Lunch will be provided free of charge this year by Santa Barbara Auto Group and Race Technologies / Brembo. Based on online registration figures we have tried to prepare and provide enough food for everyone, however there is always a possibility of running out of food before everyone has had a chance to eat. At this time I would highly recommend that everyone pack some extra snacks, water bottles, sodas, and plenty of sunscreen! Bimmerfest is a long day. Last year many attendees became sunburned. Be prepared...

PARKING ISSUES (PLEASE READ):

This year we are very fortunate to have the entire Santa Barbara Auto Group facility located at 402 S. Hope Avenue at our disposal. In the past when it was Cutter Motors we only had half of the facility for Bimmerfest. While display and parking capacity has virtually doubled, online registration figures for the event far exceed that capacity. In other words, not everyone will be able to park on the lot. This constraint was known in advance and stated up front when you signed up online. At this time I wish to clarify the situation:
  • We intend on packing the lot with attendees cars. Therefore, if an attendee plans on leaving early (i.e., before we depart as a group for the Bimmerfest Road Rally), they absolutely should not park on the lot. If you park on the lot, you will most probably not be able to get off the premises until mid-afternoon...
  • Parking on the lot is reserved for vintage or "classic" BMW's, "highly modified" BMW's (show cars), or BMW's of particular interest (e.g., rare BMW's). I know that this sounds a bit vague, but I am relying all of you to use your best judgment in deciding whether or not to park on the lot. What attendees should ask themselves in answering this question is: "Is my car what somebody else would be excited to see, or would expect to find at a car show?" If the answer is "no", then you would probably be doing a favor to the other enthusiasts coming by not taking up a space on the lot. Space is limited. Please keep in mind that as proud as we all are of our BMWs, not all of them qualify as "show cars". I am truly sorry if anyone finds this situation troublesome. Because the event has grown to the point that it has, we all have to be mindful of what's best and most interesting to the greater majority of attendees.
  • Bimmerfest is not just about parking your car on the lot. There are the caravans getting to the event, hanging out with your fellow BMW enthusiasts, the dinner beforehand, the show cars, the clinics, the "Battle of the Bimmers", The Bimmerfest Road Rally, Dinner and dancing afterwards. PLEASE don't let the fact that you might not be able to park on the lot ruin your Bimmerfest experience...
The map below shows public parking areas with ample room for attendee's vehicles. Adjacent to the dealership is La Cumbre Plaza with parking lots that can be accessed from either Hope Avenue, Calle Real, or La Cumbre Road (including the huge Sears parking lot). At most, any one of these parking areas is short 5 minute walk from the dealership. In addition, there is streetside parking on both Hope Avenue and Hitchcock Way, the streets to the left and right sides of the dealership, running all the way to State Street. Please note: in order for a car to qualify for judging in the "Battle of the Bimmers" competition it must be parked on the dealership's property. Hopefully this will help to explain the need to reserve those spots for true show cars... If you have any further questions, please post them directly in this thread.

See you at The 'Fest!

Best regards,
--Jon
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	aerial.JPG
Views:	4298
Size:	89.4 KB
ID:	48670  
Advertisement
Old 04-20-2005, 10:18 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 1988 325i BMW
sounds good jon, see you in what, 3 days now cant wait, gonna be insane.
Old 04-20-2005, 10:25 AM
Bimmerfest Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by timers
sounds good jon, see you in what, 3 days now cant wait, gonna be insane.
Old 04-20-2005, 10:30 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Send a message via AIM to slickav
Mein Auto: E36 328i
I dont have a show car, but its ALLL GOOD!
Old 04-20-2005, 11:28 AM
bOOsT Add!cT

Send a message via AIM to M3Style95
Mein Auto: Blown M3
sounds good, but I hope this means that your staff will follow through and not allow non show cars on the property at all. 2 years ago a good chunk of the lost was stock 325s with grey bumpers and M3s with only clears, when there was tons of show cars on the street.

Eurowerkz Cali Director
cj@eurowerkz.com
Old 04-20-2005, 12:41 PM
ex-M couper

Send a message via Yahoo to Bob Clevenger
Mein Auto: '06 650i Coupe
I presume that a completely stock (other than a changeg stereo/nav unit) 2002 M-coupe is not rare enough to be considrerd rare in this context. I'm proud of her, but she's not a show car!

Monaco Blue 650i coupe; 6MT, HUD, ACC, ZCW, ZPS. Redelivered 20 July 2006
Old 04-20-2005, 02:22 PM
The only cars to drive...

Mein Auto: 2002, 3.0 CS, Z4 3.0i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Clevenger
I presume that a completely stock (other than a changeg stereo/nav unit) 2002 M-coupe is not rare enough to be considrerd rare in this context. I'm proud of her, but she's not a show car!
Ya know, I'm thinking stock might be a rare site at this thing with all these tuners out there.

~Vroomer
Old 04-20-2005, 02:40 PM

Mein Auto: '07 AB MCS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon
Well gang, it looks like we've dodged a bullet once again! Weather forecasts over the past week have predicted a chance of rain for Saturday, but revised predictions are now calling for sunshine...

At this time as the chief organizer of the event I'd just like to share some great news with you. In case you haven't already heard, we have several prominent race car teams and drivers that will be attending Bimmerfest and signing autographs this year, most noteworthy being Bill Auberlen and his #96 Turner Motorsports car, Michael McDowell and Memo Gidley with the Finlay Motorsports Dinan-Powered BMW Daytona Prototype and M3 race cars! Our lineup of featured Tuners/Vendors is much, much greater than any we've had at previous Bimmerfest events. The quality of the show cars on display will be nothing short of mind-blowing...

All of the sponsors of the event have anted up an incredible array of prizes to won in the Bimmerfest "Opportunity Drawing" (i.e., charity raffle). Make sure to bring plenty of money to purchase tickets for chances to win prizes like a set of Hamann Wheels, a set of Yokohamas, a set of Toyos, a set of Bridgestones; the list of prizes is huge. In a bulk email to everyone who registered for the event online I erroneously stated that there would be a set of Praxis tires; please accept my apologies. All proceeds will go to benefit the oldest non-profit agency in Santa Barbara - Family Service Agency. Tickets will sell for $5 each. We will also have official Bimmerfest event t-shirts on sale; they look awesome! There will also be an official event program - be sure to grab one.

Lunch will be provided free of charge this year by Santa Barbara Auto Group and Race Technologies / Brembo. Based on online registration figures we have tried to prepare and provide enough food for everyone, however there is always a possibility of running out of food before everyone has had a chance to eat. At this time I would highly recommend that everyone pack some extra snacks, water bottles, sodas, and plenty of sunscreen! Bimmerfest is a long day. Last year many attendees became sunburned. Be prepared...

PARKING ISSUES (PLEASE READ):

This year we are very fortunate to have the entire Santa Barbara Auto Group facility located at 402 S. Hope Avenue at our disposal. In the past when it was Cutter Motors we only had half of the facility for Bimmerfest. While display and parking capacity has virtually doubled, online registration figures for the event far exceed that capacity. In other words, not everyone will be able to park on the lot. This constraint was known in advance and stated up front when you signed up online. At this time I wish to clarify the situation:
  • We intend on packing the lot with attendees cars. Therefore, if an attendee plans on leaving early (i.e., before we depart as a group for the Bimmerfest Road Rally), they absolutely should not park on the lot. If you park on the lot, you will most probably not be able to get off the premises until mid-afternoon...
  • Parking on the lot is reserved for vintage or "classic" BMW's, "highly modified" BMW's (show cars), or BMW's of particular interest (e.g., rare BMW's). I know that this sounds a bit vague, but I am relying all of you to use your best judgment in deciding whether or not to park on the lot. What attendees should ask themselves in answering this question is: "Is my car what somebody else would be excited to see, or would expect to find at a car show?" If the answer is "no", then you would probably be doing a favor to the other enthusiasts coming by not taking up a space on the lot. Space is limited. Please keep in mind that as proud as we all are of our BMWs, not all of them qualify as "show cars". I am truly sorry if anyone finds this situation troublesome. Because the event has grown to the point that it has, we all have to be mindful of what's best and most interesting to the greater majority of attendees.
  • Bimmerfest is not just about parking your car on the lot. There are the caravans getting to the event, hanging out with your fellow BMW enthusiasts, the dinner beforehand, the show cars, the clinics, the "Battle of the Bimmers", The Bimmerfest Road Rally, Dinner and dancing afterwards. PLEASE don't let the fact that you might not be able to park on the lot ruin your Bimmerfest experience...
The map below shows public parking areas with ample room for attendee's vehicles. Adjacent to the dealership is La Cumbre Plaza with parking lots that can be accessed from either Hope Avenue, Calle Real, or La Cumbre Road (including the huge Sears parking lot). At most, any one of these parking areas is short 5 minute walk from the dealership. In addition, there is streetside parking on both Hope Avenue and Hitchcock Way, the streets to the left and right sides of the dealership, running all the way to State Street. Please note: in order for a car to qualify for judging in the "Battle of the Bimmers" competition it must be parked on the dealership's property. Hopefully this will help to explain the need to reserve those spots for true show cars... If you have any further questions, please post them directly in this thread.

See you at The 'Fest!

Best regards,
--Jon

So reading the map of the parking areas, the entire dealer lot (in the square) should be reserved for the rare and modified cars only right? Any stock or less than show type cars can park on the streets within the square as well as anywhere in the mall parking lot (designated with “P”)?

I just want to get a better idea of where I will need to go when I arrive.

Is there a way the map can be broken down for the actual dealer lot and immediate surroundings for those that should not park in the main lot?

Thanks,
Looking forward to my 2nd Bimmerfest.

Brad
Old 04-20-2005, 04:58 PM

Mein Auto: 1996 328i
There isn't a lot of street parking around the dealer (bike lanes and red zones), but Hope Ave is pretty long. X3/5 owners can park in the lot behind the Chevy dealer (you have drive up a curb). La Rada (the cross street between Hope and Hitchcock) is another good place. There is a parking lot at the Natural Cafe, but I am not sure if it is monitored on the weekends. They have a security guy there during the week. Beyond that, the back lot @ La Cumbre is just a short walk to the dealership.

Since I live in SB, I will be on the street early looking for a pole position spot, then heading to Starbucks.
Old 04-20-2005, 05:18 PM
Bimmerfest Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad330ci
So reading the map of the parking areas, the entire dealer lot (in the square) should be reserved for the rare and modified cars only right? Any stock or less than show type cars can park on the streets within the square as well as anywhere in the mall parking lot (designated with “P”)?
You've got it Brad!

Old 04-20-2005, 08:20 PM
Drive Sideways

Send a message via AIM to Infamous
Mein Auto: 1995 Dakar M3, 89' E30
i think the dakar is special enough..i mean, we did make the DVD cd cover last year
Old 04-20-2005, 08:50 PM
The King of Common Sense

Send a message via Skype™ to Dave 330i
Mein Auto:
Park in the Ford's lot. Walk around and let them think you are interested in a Ford.

Swim upstream. Go the other way. Ignore the conventional wisdom. If everybody is doing it one way, there’s a good chance you can find your niche by going exactly in the opposite direction", Sam Walton.
Old 04-20-2005, 09:16 PM
Lurking around since 2005

Send a message via AIM to BMWenthusiast Send a message via MSN to BMWenthusiast
Mein Auto: E90 2006 BMW 330i
i can't wait!!! i only found out i could go a couple of days ago when they moved our Track Championship, im so excited!
Old 04-21-2005, 03:57 AM
Your favorite food!

Send a message via ICQ to clumpymold Send a message via AIM to clumpymold Send a message via MSN to clumpymold Send a message via Yahoo to clumpymold
Mein Auto: E36 BMW
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3Style95
sounds good, but I hope this means that your staff will follow through and not allow non show cars on the property at all. 2 years ago a good chunk of the lost was stock 325s with grey bumpers and M3s with only clears, when there was tons of show cars on the street.
So what determines a "show car"? If you've been in shows or if people think you should be in?
Old 04-21-2005, 06:21 AM
My TARDIS is a BMW

Mein Auto: '02 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by clumpymold
So what determines a "show car"? If you've been in shows or if people think you should be in?
Read the notice from Jon at the start of this thread as well as the couple of other threads that Jon and scottN2retro have started about this subject. It ain't that difficult to figure out!

Old 04-21-2005, 02:20 PM

Mein Auto: 2002tii / 1985 Euro M635
Exclamation Parking

Seems the best thing to do is place staff at the netrances to keep out the non-show types. After reading several posts, many caravans thought the parking suggestions to mean, "Lets go even earlier so we can park in the dealer lots". A little enforcemant with a little cooperation is all you need. Have a great day!!
Old 04-21-2005, 05:34 PM
Victory is mine!

Mein Auto: 03' 330i ZHP, 04' 325ci
I think it would be a good idea if we can move some of the morning events to a bit later. When I was at the fest last year, the lull between 11:30 to the Drive was pretty boring. By that time you've already checked out the cars and vendors 3-4 times, and back again...

Since a good portion of the people will be arriving after 10am, may I suggest moving some of the demos/shows to a later time? like 11-12:30p? Or even add on a few more activities! It would help to pass the lull between 11-1:30pm.
Old 04-21-2005, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfcitydude
Seems the best thing to do is place staff at the netrances to keep out the non-show types. After reading several posts, many caravans thought the parking suggestions to mean, "Lets go even earlier so we can park in the dealer lots". A little enforcemant with a little cooperation is all you need. Have a great day!!
With the way I read the parking guideliness, they don't want any stock cars on the lots at all. Honestly, that's just a load of horse crap. There are more stock 3 series BMWs out there and the lots should have more of them on the 'dealer's lot' than any other series. Should have been "first registered, first parking spot reserved", regarless of what BMW you're driving.

This event is going to attract attention and publicity. You don't want to be snooty and snub other drivers. You want everyone there selling your product, BMWs. You don't want them to say that "I got bumped because..." Just not groovy for business.

~Vroomer
Old 04-21-2005, 08:58 PM
Bimmerfest Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vroomer
With the way I read the parking guideliness, they don't
want any stock cars on the lots at all. Honestly, that's just a load of
horse crap.
We have nothing against stock cars.

Sorry for the confusion, V. We just want to make sure that there is
enough room for the show cars and the classics like these
(cars that you don't see on the road every day)...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	csl3.jpg
Views:	254
Size:	141.0 KB
ID:	48758   Click image for larger version

Name:	csl12.jpg
Views:	215
Size:	117.8 KB
ID:	48759  
Old 04-21-2005, 09:06 PM

I understand the event has evolved from a lot of stock 3 series back in the day. Now everyone knows the "rules"...

...just almost at the "last" minute.

~Vroomer

Last edited by Vroomer; 04-21-2005 at 11:02 PM.
Old 04-21-2005, 10:11 PM
It's not all that bad...

Mein Auto: 01 M coupe, 05 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vroomer
I understand the event has evolved from a stock lot of 3 series back in the day. Now everyone knows the "rules"...

...just almost at the "last" minute.

~Vroomer
Actually, the event has never been a "stock lot of 3 series". But that is beside the point. The "rules" you talk about are actually "guidelines". And these "guidelines" are not being pulled out at the last minute. The "Parking At Bimmerfest" thread was started on 4/6/2005, and it was not even the beginning of the parking discussion.

I'm not picking on you Vroomer, but I think everybody should not be worried about the request being made by the organizers regarding parking. It's a lot of work planning and executing an event like Bimmerfest, and the planners are trying to please everybody and create the best event possible, which is difficult with so many people.

I think that Bimmerfest is a special event, because it has grown from a grass roots origin. Change can be upsetting, but Bimmerfest is not like any commercial event I have ever seen. A lot of what makes it great is the effort that Shafer (and marvelphx, and tim330i) puts into this event, but also the amount of time and effort made by other people. Keith, the person who organizes the Nor-Cal caravan spends hours, contacting anybody who expresses an interest in our caravan, sending email, evites, organizing dinner, etc, etc.

OK, end soapbox rant

I can't wait until tomorrow

Last edited by Kurt Martin; 04-21-2005 at 10:13 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 04-22-2005, 02:42 AM
Your favorite food!

Send a message via ICQ to clumpymold Send a message via AIM to clumpymold Send a message via MSN to clumpymold Send a message via Yahoo to clumpymold
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon
Really? According to www.weather.com, it says there's an 80% chance of showers on Saturday.
Old 04-22-2005, 03:31 AM
Chauffeur

Mein Auto: 1998 BMW 750iLA
I have a truly the cleanest almost perfect 1998 740iL fully stock which would blow some people's mind, but I'm wondering if I should park in the lot.
Old 04-22-2005, 03:51 AM
Your favorite food!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwtransport
I have a truly the cleanest almost perfect 1998 740iL fully stock which would blow some people's mind, but I'm wondering if I should park in the lot.
I don't know about you but ANY fully stock car is nothing special to me (aside from a few exotics and supercars). It's all about modded cars, IMO.
Old 04-22-2005, 08:00 AM
Bimmer Fester

Send a message via AIM to LordGop
Mein Auto: 05 325ci e30 325i cab
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwtransport
I really like that model/year, I think it is a very great looking 7. It sporty looking with all the plush features....