Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)

E46 (1999 - 2006)
The fourth generation 3 Series (E46 chassis) was introduced in 1999 and set the standard for engineering and performance during it's years of production including being named to Car & Driver's 10 best list every one of those years! ! -- View the E46 Wiki

Old 04-20-2005, 08:53 PM
Family Man User

Mein Auto: BMW, M-B, Honda
Angry I hate stalling 2/2 rev fluctuations

We've seen a recent change to warm weather for a couple days. Don't know if that's the reason my car went crazy tonight, but somehow it managed to stall 3 times in 5 minutes. For much of the night, revs were fluctuating at idle, which, although not exceedingly rare for me, is not a frequent occurrence nonetheless. After buying some food, I was heading home when I stalled while inching forward at a traffic light. I was in first gear with the clutch depressed. I wasn't too surprised, as my car has stalled before in this scenario. However, a minute later (if even that long), my car stalled again while sitting at a traffic light. This surprised me because it's the first time I've stalled twice in such a short time, and also because it's the first time it's stalled while my shifter was in neutral and the clutch pedal was not depressed. Finally, the third time it happened was after I'd pulled into my parking garage and was unloading groceries from the trunk. I'd left the car running with the parking brake up and the shifter in neutral (obviously), when I heard the engine revs fluctuate (again!). I got back into my car and started going in reverse, slipping the clutch, when the car stalled. As I'd never before stalled while not in first gear with the clutch depressed (except for a few minutes prior to this), this again was a first.

My question: What the heck is going on? Just a coincidence? Could warmer weather be playing a role? Any ideas on why this may have happened? I'm very frustrated by this, as I supposedly had the DME upgraded to 39.1 by a dealer a few months ago. I'm now fairly confident that either they didn't do it, which makes me wonder if they did an oil change that they told me they performed (without my requesting it), or that 39.1 does not fix the problem in everyone's car (namely mine) despite some people saying it fixed it in theirs.

at stupid engine stalling!

2004 BMW 330i 6MT Orient Blue Metallic Sand Leather Black Cube Trim ZHP ZCW
Advertisement
Old 04-20-2005, 09:59 PM
takes the long way home..

Mein Auto: 05' 330i ZHP
39.2 out of the box has been smooth on mine.

Have them plug in and see if there are any error codes in the computer .

Old 04-20-2005, 10:59 PM

Mein Auto: E90 330i, X3 3.0i
How do you know for sure that your DME had been upgraded last time? Either your dealer lied to you or the 39.1 is not good enough to fix the problem.

My suggestion is to go to another dealer and report about the problem like you did the first time and have them reprogram the DME again to whatever the highest revision it is now (I believe it's still 40.1). This should take care of the problem. I had mine upgraded a month ago and I have yet to see any tach needle movement at idle. It's just dead solid pointing at 650rpm.
Old 04-21-2005, 04:58 AM
BMW + twisty road = fun

Mein Auto: Car
If they listed the DME upgrade on the receipt/ticket when you picked up the car more than likely they did the upgrade, unless the tech is lying about the billed time. If they did do the upgrade maybe they need to take a look at other possible causes for the stalling and rpm fluctuations.

I would call today and make another appointment, and definitely let the SA know you are not pleased with how the problem is being resolved.
Old 04-21-2005, 05:25 AM
BMW + twisty road = fun

Mein Auto: Car
My car is not a 330 ZHP but my 325 did have a DME upgrade because of stalling and rpm fluctuations about 6 months ago. Last few weeks I have noticed rpm dips that have not been there for 6 months. My non expert theory is the switch from the winter to summer grade gasoline maybe the cause, and that the computer will eventually adjust to the different gasoline.

Gasoline grades are typically divided into only two seasons, winter and summer, a combination of three seasonal sets of coefficients: a winter season (January, February, and March), a summer season (April through September), and a second winter season (October, November, and December).

Of course there is a good chance that I'm wrong.
Old 04-21-2005, 06:39 AM
Livin' like Larry!

Mein Auto: 2007 328XiT; 2008 328 CiC
My car was acting stupid (idling rough) the other morning, so I performed the throttle adaptation reset procedure... (or whatever it is called)...

1) Turn on ignition, but do not start car... Count to ten slowly...

2) Turn off ignition, count to ten slowly...

3) Immediatly start the vehicle and drive "briskly" so the car "learns" that you want crisp acceleration...

Be forewarned, there has been much discussion about whether this procedure even works, (and a BMW master tech even told me you are supposed to count to 30 each time, which I tried but did not seem to work...) but it seems to work for me... car tends to drive somewhat better afterwards... (Some claim its merely a placebo effect... ) BTW, 39.1 took away the stall for me (my 325Ci has not stalled once since...) but added a "hesitation" that has yet to be resolved...
Old 04-21-2005, 11:03 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Send a message via ICQ to Solid Send a message via AIM to Solid Send a message via Yahoo to Solid
Mein Auto: 330i ZHP
Take it to the dealer, there's a fix for the stalling and one for the power dip.
Old 04-29-2005, 10:47 AM
BMW NA Customer Relations

Mein Auto: B M W
Im with BMW of North America, LLC. Im sorry to read about this problem with your 330i. If you and your BMW center would like our assistance, please phone us at (800) 831-1117 or email us at CustomerRelations@bmwusa.com, and mention Reference #200511900276 so that we can discuss your concerns.
Old 04-29-2005, 11:15 AM
Livin' like Larry!

Mein Auto: 2007 328XiT; 2008 328 CiC
Quote:
Originally Posted by vatkens
Im with BMW of North America, LLC. Im sorry to read about this problem with your 330i. If you and your BMW center would like our assistance, please phone us at (800) 831-1117 or email us at CustomerRelations@bmwusa.com, and mention Reference #200511900276 so that we can discuss your concerns.
What about my problems with my 325Ci? Man, us small engined coupe people get dissed all the time...

Old 04-29-2005, 11:33 AM
bmw330pp

Mein Auto: 04 330Ci ZHP, 06 CBR600RR
Quote:
Originally Posted by swchang
We've seen a recent change to warm weather for a couple days. Don't know if that's the reason my car went crazy tonight, but somehow it managed to stall 3 times in 5 minutes. For much of the night, revs were fluctuating at idle, which, although not exceedingly rare for me, is not a frequent occurrence nonetheless. After buying some food, I was heading home when I stalled while inching forward at a traffic light. I was in first gear with the clutch depressed. I wasn't too surprised, as my car has stalled before in this scenario. However, a minute later (if even that long), my car stalled again while sitting at a traffic light. This surprised me because it's the first time I've stalled twice in such a short time, and also because it's the first time it's stalled while my shifter was in neutral and the clutch pedal was not depressed. Finally, the third time it happened was after I'd pulled into my parking garage and was unloading groceries from the trunk. I'd left the car running with the parking brake up and the shifter in neutral (obviously), when I heard the engine revs fluctuate (again!). I got back into my car and started going in reverse, slipping the clutch, when the car stalled. As I'd never before stalled while not in first gear with the clutch depressed (except for a few minutes prior to this), this again was a first.

My question: What the heck is going on? Just a coincidence? Could warmer weather be playing a role? Any ideas on why this may have happened? I'm very frustrated by this, as I supposedly had the DME upgraded to 39.1 by a dealer a few months ago. I'm now fairly confident that either they didn't do it, which makes me wonder if they did an oil change that they told me they performed (without my requesting it), or that 39.1 does not fix the problem in everyone's car (namely mine) despite some people saying it fixed it in theirs.

at stupid engine stalling!
With the new software 41.0 the bulletin also says that a part has to be replaced called the DISA Valve(PN 11 617 544 805). I'm trying to get mine done but am waiting for a call from the SA. There is a thread on this already.
Old 04-29-2005, 11:35 AM
bmw330pp

The thread is called "New fix for 4000 RPM power drop"
Old 04-29-2005, 11:39 AM

Mein Auto: 2004 330i ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salvator
What about my problems with my 325Ci? Man, us small engined coupe people get dissed all the time...

Old 04-29-2005, 12:21 PM
Grinning from ear to ear

Mein Auto: is way too fast
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salvator
Sounds like a personal problem! Dont you know - it's not the size of your engine - it's what you do with it.

Oh no... did I really just say that?!?!
Old 04-29-2005, 01:32 PM
Family Man User

Quote:
Originally Posted by vatkens
Thanks vatkens, I'll do that when I get a free moment.

Old 04-29-2005, 01:32 PM
Family Man User

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw330pp
With the new software 41.0 the bulletin also says that a part has to be replaced called the DISA Valve(PN 11 617 544 805). I'm trying to get mine done but am waiting for a call from the SA. There is a thread on this already.
Would love it if someone could provide the text of the bulletin...

Old 04-29-2005, 01:48 PM
bmw330pp

Quote:
Would love it if someone could provide the text of the bulletin...
The text is up. I told you it's on the thread titled "new fix for 4000 rpm power drop". Go to "search" and type the title in and it will direct you to the thread. The text is on the very first post of the thread.
Old 04-29-2005, 02:15 PM
Family Man User

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw330pp
The text is up. I told you it's on the thread titled "new fix for 4000 rpm power drop". Go to "search" and type the title in and it will direct you to the thread. The text is on the very first post of the thread.
Well so it is. I'm even subscribed to that thread...

Thanks!

Old 04-29-2005, 04:02 PM
bmw330pp

Quote:
Well so it is. I'm even subscribed to that thread...

Thanks!
No Problem