BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Ugh dead battery today - here's the plan...

1K views 16 replies 9 participants last post by  wilt 
#1 ·
This will be my third car in three months to need a new battery. this one however could be the most complicated to replace after reading the forum on said topic.

The plan is to hook up my '06 Tundra to the car with jumper cables and remove and replace the battery with one I bought today. I know that technically one is suppose to 'register' it with the on board computer but my '06 330xi doesn't have iDrive so I am not sure how important that is.

The question is: Is setting up the jumper cables so the car won't lose electrical connectivity to all the little processors in the car while swapping out the batteries a good idea or a dangerous idea?

thanks!

#3 · (Edited)
The question is: Is setting up the jumper cables so the car won't lose electrical connectivity to all the little processors in the car while swapping out the batteries a good idea or a dangerous idea?
I wouldn't do it on mine. Do some searching around and you'll find some horror stories of people cooking their ECUs due to jumper cable related issues.

#8 · (Edited)
Good Grief! thanks Guys:thumbup: - sounds like I am better off just disconnecting and reconnecting with new one and go for it.

The battery I am thinking about using is an Interstate that is specific to the '06 330xi - according to their catalog anyway.

The Carly app looks like a good tool. I should get that and register the thing myself. Can the battery be registered a few days after install or should it be done at the same time?

#5 ·
The danger is the very high current available, high enough to weld with, high enough to cause high voltage damage. Get an experience electrician to help install a current limiting resistor and it'll be fine. Or use a much smaller 12 VDC battery.

#6 ·
There are two steps. Registration informs the IBS charging system of the proper charging protocol for the NEW battery. Re-adaptation removes the calculated limits of the OLD battery.

#7 ·
This will be my third car in three months to need a new battery. this one however could be the most complicated to replace after reading the forum on said topic.

The plan is to hook up my '06 Tundra to the car with jumper cables and remove and replace the battery with one I bought today. I know that technically one is suppose to 'register' it with the on board computer but my '06 330xi doesn't have iDrive so I am not sure how important that is.

thanks!
Bad idea. just reset everything after you are done.

#10 ·
sorry for all the questions - this is starting to remind me of the windshield wiper post a few weeks back about not being able to find the right one in a store.......anyway I did some research online that the battery I am thinking about is the Interstate MTP-48/h6 which is a wet cell - not an AGM battery. Doug Huffman's linked posts about such things got me thinking about it.

Is that acceptable? Or should I find an AGM battery? I am trying to do this the right way.

#16 ·
Tons of good info - thanks! It had a HUGE Interstate battery in it - almost took up the entire space. It was hard to get out especially after working on getting the red contraption off the battery top.

It was a wet cell battery and I replaced it with another wet cell type - smaller in physical dimensions and the only thing that the car didn't like after the swap was the 4X4 warning that went away after about 5 minutes. All is well. I will get it registered and programed for a wet cell.

thanks to all!

Dave

#17 ·
Tons of good info - thanks! It had a HUGE Interstate battery in it - almost took up the entire space. It was hard to get out especially after working on getting the red contraption off the battery top.

It was a wet cell battery and I replaced it with another wet cell type - smaller in physical dimensions and the only thing that the car didn't like after the swap was the 4X4 warning that went away after about 5 minutes. All is well. I will get it registered and programed for a wet cell.
Just remember that if there was a change in capacity you need to CODE the new battery capacity, in addition to registering the battery as new to the battery management unit.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.