BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Premature Wheel Bearing Fail?

2K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  ChrisAG 
#1 ·
My 2010 335i has only 31,000 miles and for the last while I have noticed a thumping sound when I make sweeping turns, e.g. at higher speed. The sound was there with the original run-flats and now with my new tires, so I doubt it is the tires. I suspect a wheel bearing, but could they fail so soon?

#3 ·
Something is loose. Doesn't sound like a wheel bearing. Jack the front end up and move each wheel in and out from top to bottom for play. Steering rack bolts come loose. Easy to see and tighten but have to remove bottom cover. Check your sway bar and sway bar bushing mount bolts. Hard braking will cause this thumping noise due to ABS releasing and is normal. Check your strut tower nuts on the top under the hood as well to make sure they are tight. A failed strut mount can thump like that.

#4 ·
I had a rear go bad on my 06 E90 w/ 30k miles. This is what I used to find it. https://www.amazon.com/Lisle-52500-Mechanics-Stethoscope/dp/B0002SQYSM

Jack up the rear, hold ESP button for 5 seconds to turn everything off, and have a friend drive it to get the wheels moving. Probe the back side of the hubs where the ABS sensor is. The ABS sensor reads from an emitter embedded in the wheel bearing.

#5 ·
Clicked on the link; found common mechanic's stethoscope - Amazon banner claimed did not fit a 2006 Odyssey. But did claim to have a 'unique sound chamber' just like every other inexpensive mechanic's stethoscope I've seen lo these many years.

These units pretty much generic, prob mfg'd in China for any brand, and they work well. But like many Amazon offers, pays to shop - have scored same thing at OReilly's, half that price.

#9 ·
I have changed many BMW wheel bearings. The best way to tell if you have a wheel bearing failing is to drive the car in an open area like a parking lot. Turn the wheel left and that will load the right side. If the noise increased the wheel bearing is on that side. Turn right and see if the left side makes noise.
You need nothing but a parking lot and this is the best way to tell.
BMW bearings don't howl or make much noise. There have a grinding sound usually and jacking them up reveals nothing and they stay tight.
Be aware that BMW bearings are some of the toughest bearing to change out there.
There is a reason why mechanic charge what they charge to do them.
Stories about changing them in a short time especially the rear is fantasy.
I did a write up on one of the forums with pictures years ago to demonstrate this...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.