Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > Bimmerfest 2014 > Previous Events > 2005 Events > Bimmerfest 2005: Santa Barbara, CA

Bimmerfest 2005: Santa Barbara, CA
Information, stories, and photos of the biggest BMW show in the land...

Old 04-24-2005, 04:39 PM
Admin • Owner • Enthusiast
Bimmerfest Founder

Mein Auto: E92 M3 Cp
Congrats to "Battle of the Bimmers" winners...

Vintage Class Division:

1. E28 M5 owned by Ron Perry

2. E21 320i owned by CJ Viola

3. E9 3.0 CSL owned by Tom Rakearch

Modified Class Division:

1. E46 330i owned by Vijay Patel

2. E39 528i owned by James Lee

3. E36 Sedan (a.k.a. PTG M3) owned by James Demmitt

BEST OF SHOW:

1. Lambo-doored E46 M3 owned by Taber Schroeder

Note to potential naysayers. This competition was not rigged either!

Judging was performed by the team of freelance automotive writer/photographer Fred Larimer, and Bimmer Magazine At Large
editor Jay Jones...

PLEASE NOTE THE FOLLOWING REQUEST:

Please post pictures of these specific vehicle in this thread if you have any.

Also, James Lee - owner of the second-place finishing E39 528i never picked
up his trophy. Does anybody know how to contact him??
Ads by Google
Old 04-24-2005, 04:40 PM
The only cars to drive...

Mein Auto: 2002, 3.0 CS, Z4 3.0i
ooh a gullwing. Post those pics!

Nice job, guys!

~Vroomer
Old 04-24-2005, 05:26 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 3x330,AMV8,996GT2
Wow.. A gullwing. I'd like to see that on a BMW. There are pics elsewhere of the scissor door but never a gullwing
Old 04-24-2005, 05:37 PM
Lurking around since 2005

Send a message via AIM to BMWenthusiast Send a message via MSN to BMWenthusiast
Mein Auto: E90 2006 BMW 330i
heres some of my pics from the best of show winner:

if anyone has the descriptions (color, mods, or something unique) from the other winners i most likely have it, and all of my pics are posted in the other thread "please post pics of Bimmerfest here"
Old 04-24-2005, 05:38 PM

Send a message via AIM to little740girl
Mein Auto: 95 740il
I just want to say that I was VERY disappointed at the winner of best in show. That car was atrocious and easily the UGLIEST car there. Sure, it was highly modified, but it was incredibly ricey and very distasteful. The paint job was ugly, the rims were horrible, the seats were laughable, I was incredibly unimpressed and disgusted by the presence of that car.

I also think that this sends the WRONG message to people. The fact that that car won tells people that you will only win if you put more money into your car than anyone else there, and fails to stress the importance of the limitary or beauty of the modifications you do. There were many more cleaner cars there, many more cars that DESERVED to be best in show, not THIS thing that got lost when trying to find the set for Fast and Furrious 3.

And it was a scissor door, not a gullwing.
Old 04-24-2005, 05:46 PM
Audi, BMW or Porsche???

Mein Auto: 2010 S4, 2004 X3 2.5i
Quote:
Originally Posted by little740girl
I just want to say that I was VERY disappointed at the winner of best in show. That car was atrocious and easily the UGLIEST car there. Sure, it was highly modified, but it was incredibly ricey and very distasteful. The paint job was ugly, the rims were horrible, the seats were laughable, I was incredibly unimpressed and disgusted by the presence of that car.

I also think that this sends the WRONG message to people. The fact that that car won tells people that you will only win if you put more money into your car than anyone else there, and fails to stress the importance of the limitary or beauty of the modifications you do. There were many more cleaner cars there, many more cars that DESERVED to be best in show, not THIS thing that got lost when trying to find the set for Fast and Furrious 3.

And it was a scissor door, not a gullwing.
Old 04-24-2005, 05:49 PM
The King of Common Sense

Send a message via Skype™ to Dave 330i
Mein Auto:
Do these people drive their cars?

Swim upstream. Go the other way. Ignore the conventional wisdom. If everybody is doing it one way, there’s a good chance you can find your niche by going exactly in the opposite direction", Sam Walton.
Old 04-24-2005, 05:51 PM
King of Rear Clunks

Mein Auto: 01 325iT, 88 M6
It's still a little early for me to go on my bit after Bimmerfest 05, but I will say that without saying a word, I think the event is going in a certain, very obvious direction, for better or worse, and that the fact of the matter is, it's just not going to be possible to make even a majority of people happy...

More to come.
Old 04-24-2005, 06:14 PM

Mein Auto: 2000 Z-3
Best in Show?

That's the one we get to drive home of course!
Old 04-24-2005, 06:33 PM

Mein Auto: 03M3 Carbon Black
Your exactly right about that! we are all winners!!
Mahalo!
Old 04-24-2005, 06:35 PM

Mein Auto: 2002tii / 1985 Euro M635
Thumbs down Best in show???Pimp my ride!!!

Unbelievable choice for best in show. A fully pimped up Escalade made to look something like a BMW. NOT!!!!

Then there was the so called parking request that only highly modified and classic park in the dealer lot, one section looked like Pick-A-Part! Too bad, some real nice cars were on the street or back in the service departmant.

Lastly, what constitutes a classic. First place in classic went to a M5??? Beautiful car and great guy.....but an M5 is a classic???? One photo caption showed a 2 or 3 year old 645i with the caption from the photographer saying,"My favorite classic beemer!"
Old 04-24-2005, 06:41 PM
The only cars to drive...

Mein Auto: 2002, 3.0 CS, Z4 3.0i
That's NOT a gullwing! Those are LAMBO doors. Gullwing would have been HAWT!

~Vroomer
Old 04-24-2005, 07:01 PM

Mein Auto: A highly Modded E21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave 330i
Do these people drive their cars?
CJ drives his car daily. Congrats again bro

E21 LEGION
Bimmerfest: 01,02,03,04,05,06,07,08,09,10 Veteran
Old 04-24-2005, 08:34 PM
Fest Veteran

Mein Auto: 79 E21
Thanks, I drive 50 miles a day!

Its my only car

For more information visit Tricord's E21 Community & CarDomain

"Mortals! rejoice at so great an ornament to the human race!"
Old 04-24-2005, 09:59 PM
German Car Fan

Mein Auto: '02 330i
Awesome M3...I like it The only thing I would change are the seats.
Old 04-24-2005, 10:45 PM

Mein Auto: 1992 535i w/ 5spd
Hey everyone remember it was a Great Day!,
I do agree with most the Flamed Disco Job as best of show and in the show room ( reminded me of the low rider cars when I was a kid ..ya know the ones with bars in the back seat and velvet interiors ) … What does that have to do with anything ) I know you can't please everyone one so you might as please yourself…M-

Just curious who liked that S..T?

go ahead and ban me ...just tellin' it like it is

P.S. Daily Driver my Ass

IF THIS IS THE WAY OF THE FUTURE you can count me and others out next year ...my .02
Old 04-24-2005, 11:19 PM

Mein Auto: 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by califblue
Hey everyone remember it was a Great Day!,
I do agree with most the Flamed Disco Job as best of show and in the show room ( reminded me of the low rider cars when I was a kid ..ya know the ones with bars in the back seat and velvet interiors ) … What does that have to do with anything ) I know you can't please everyone one so you might as please yourself…M-

Just curious who liked that S..T?
I did. It may not suit everybodys taste, but, that car was very well done. Even if you don't like the style, show some appreciation for the work that went into it. The paint was excellent. And the airbrush work was quite good. It may not be of a style to your liking, but, that doesn't mean that in an objective sense it was not well executed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by califblue
go ahead and ban me ...just tellin' it like it is

P.S. Daily Driver my Ass

IF THIS IS THE WAY OF THE FUTURE you can count me and others out next year ...my .02
You are not "tellin' it like it is" your are being a immature snot nose, becuase it is not of your taste it is "wrong" or "bad". Grow the f*ck up.

I hope this is the way of the future, it sure as hades better be. If it wasn't for people who go and push at the edges there would not be the modding community there is today. If all you can see is your narrow view of the world, on balance, IMO, the modding community is better off without you, then with you.

Face facts, the lowrider community know more about paint then anybody. The "r!cer" community knows more about making more power from less displacement then anybody. The "hotrod" community knows more about metal fabrication then anybody. The euro community has much to add as well (things like ICE, and other electronics). Take what those other "communities" have as knowledge and apply it to the euro scene. If it is not your taste, that is fine, but, don't discount the work/effort/passion/commitment/etc. of others just becuase it does not appeal to your narrow view of what a car is supposed to be.

(Readers digest condensed version: Quit the hating or piss off and get bent.)
Old 04-25-2005, 12:02 AM

Mein Auto: WIDEBODY TORNADO
First of all I would like to thank Jon for a great event, this was my third bimmerfest and it could not have been any better. For the people that do not know me my name is Vijay Patel I won first place in the bmw modified category. I own the copper bmw that is seen in a few pictures. The reason why I am posting is in remarks to other members reactions of the winner of Best of Show. I believe to win a trophy in any car show your car has to stand out or not be modified like the rest of the cars attending the show. The cars that won all the trophies at bimmerfest STAND OUT. Certainly the car that won Best of Show stands out, it might not be everybodys taste in moding, but it does stand out. People may not believe it, but a lot of time does go into making show winning cars. Everybody has their own opinions and should state them. All I am saying is dont be so narrow minded and think that a car that looks like the rest of the cars at a show will win a trophy.
Old 04-25-2005, 01:19 AM
Got beats?

Send a message via ICQ to roxnadz Send a message via Yahoo to roxnadz
Mein Auto: 01 540i/6, 91 535i/5
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdsesq
You are not "tellin' it like it is" your are being a immature snot nose, becuase it is not of your taste it is "wrong" or "bad". Grow the f*ck up.

Face facts, the lowrider community know more about paint then anybody. The "r!cer" community knows more about making more power from less displacement then anybody. The "hotrod" community knows more about metal fabrication then anybody. The euro community has much to add as well (things like ICE, and other electronics). Take what those other "communities" have as knowledge and apply it to the euro scene. If it is not your taste, that is fine, but, don't discount the work/effort/passion/commitment/etc. of others just becuase it does not appeal to your narrow view of what a car is supposed to be.

(Readers digest condensed version: Quit the hating or piss off and get bent.)
Yeah. I'm gonna have to agree with this, and I personally was not impressed with the scissor-door M3 myself (it was a very nice vehicle, but not what I would consider best-in-show. That doesn't mean it shouldn't be, though.)

People are always gonna find a reason to hate, and that's silly. You may not like what others judge as the greatest; the best way to fix that is to get involved so you actually have a vote that counts.

You don't even have to like whatever it is, just find a way to be constructive about it.
Old 04-25-2005, 06:58 AM

Mein Auto: 2000 Z-3
I spent hours with Q-Tips and Armour All detailing my car which I knew would not get on the lot.
I can only imagine what it takes to get these show cars ready. My hat's off to everyone who spent hours polishing and cleaning in places no one would even see.

Just to be in the contest gets my respect.

There were only a few cars which I felt didn't belong on the lot. A giveaway is when the owner is standing on his roof.

Would YOU do that with your car?
Old 04-25-2005, 09:20 AM

Mein Auto: www.ptgm3.com
I drove my car 4 hours to get there and 4 hours to get back. Why build a car if you don't drive it.

I am honored to receive a trophy in the midst of all the very nice cars there.

James
Old 04-25-2005, 09:39 AM
Fest Veteran

Mein Auto: 79 E21
For the reply of the person standing on the roof: Tell me you didn’t get a kick out of that? Didn’t you notice the battle of the cookies on the hood of the car? There were more people gathered around his car having a great time then there were the show cars. This was not a show car, it was an Auto-X car, that gets driven harder than 90% of the cars on the lot, not to mention its 23 years old and can still keep up with allot of the cars there. Yeah so it was not the prettiest thing to look at. But he was with the E21 Legion, a group of about 13 guys getting together for the weekend to have a great time at Bimmerfest. I can’t wait for the majority of the people to understand that Bimmerfest is not about the cars, but rather the enthusiast. This is what Bimmerfest is about, having a good time. This is my 3rd year attending and I was pleased with the turnout and all the work involved. Although I must say people are making it out to be to much of a car show, and getting to crazy on the rally. From the previous years this was not the case it was just a gathering of ALL BMW's. I do understand space was limited so only modified cars and classic cars should be allowed to enter the lot. The car mentioned is considered a classic to some. Oldskool-classics is more of a style then referring to a specific year.

People got spoiled by last year at the fairgrounds. There was so much space that everyone could park and that was great. But all the other years before, it was a first come first serve basis, and many cars did not get to park on the lot regardless of how "modified" the car was and there was never complaining like I see here.

All I can say was that we stayed together and got to the lot much earlier than most, stayed together on the rally, did not get crazy on the rally, and we all had a great time.

Much respect for all the winners

For more information visit Tricord's E21 Community & CarDomain

"Mortals! rejoice at so great an ornament to the human race!"
Old 04-25-2005, 11:36 AM

Mein Auto: bmw 528
Hey Jon,

I totally forgot about the trophy, is there anyway you can ship the trophy to my address?

Here's a pic of my kandyblue e39
Old 04-25-2005, 12:11 PM

Mein Auto: '05 Honda S2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by roxnadz
Yeah. I'm gonna have to agree with this, and I personally was not impressed with the scissor-door M3 myself (it was a very nice vehicle, but not what I would consider best-in-show. That doesn't mean it shouldn't be, though.)

People are always gonna find a reason to hate, and that's silly. You may not like what others judge as the greatest; the best way to fix that is to get involved so you actually have a vote that counts.

You don't even have to like whatever it is, just find a way to be constructive about it.

I didn't personally like the car either. Even so, I can respect the amount of time and effort that must have gone into that car.
Old 04-25-2005, 01:32 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 330i
I agree!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!! with Vijay Patel.