Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > Bimmerfest 2014 > Previous Events > 2005 Events > Bimmerfest 2005: Santa Barbara, CA

Bimmerfest 2005: Santa Barbara, CA
Information, stories, and photos of the biggest BMW show in the land...

Old 04-25-2005, 08:25 AM
Donkeybike?

Mein Auto: HP2Sport - R1200GS - F30
You might not have seen the dumb arses but just as with many things, a select few can ruin it for the many.
Old 04-25-2005, 08:38 AM

Mein Auto: Modded E46 M3 Cic
I have to say that the police where pretty cool......I was parked on the side of the road with the crashed White E36 talking to the CHP and he has the two cars he pulled over on tape giving him attitude....plus that 645 was the one doing shoulder passes and the hamann m3 that was holding up traffic below the speed limit
Old 04-25-2005, 08:40 AM
Banned

Mein Auto: 5/01 production 330Cic
Quote:
Originally Posted by MR 325
Everyone is so high and mighty saying wow these people are dumbasses. I think the road rally went decently well, we had like 5 idiots out of hundreds of cars, not a bad ratio to me. Maybe I missed some of the stupidity sicne I was with some of the E21 guys, I don't know. But I can tell you one thing, the road rally rocked and I would sure as hell do it again.
I find your attitude disturbing.

This is not a pick-up football game after Thanksgiving dinner on the lawn or something. This is a situation where people's life and limb are at risk from reckless behavoir. So, any deviation from "the rules" is a very serious matter. There's nothing "high and mighty" about demanding 100% perfection from people in this regard. The stakes are very high.

I'm with you if people were harping and slagging on someone for failing to use their turn signal before a lane change. Obviously, though, we're talking about far more serious -- and dangerous -- behavior here than that.

And it is for just that reason that even one moron engaging in some of the antics reported (passing on the shoulder at high speed, flying into a lane merge at 90, donuts, slider-stops, and on and on) deserves and needs to be ostracized and dealt with. The authorities will not allow the rally to happen in the future if this sort of junk continues to spiral out of control.

Such juvenile idiocy was virtually non-existent in previous fests. There was a bit of hot-dogging and speeding, but that was about it. This year much of it crossed a line that I fear has already got some discussion taking place within the conference rooms and offices of the CHP, and I wouldn't be surprised if the Rally has a tough time even being a part of the event next year.
Old 04-25-2005, 08:54 AM
TMS

Mein Auto: BMW
Dave, I think sheer size will sink the road rally (and probably Keith's caravan fairly soon) more so than the reckless driving. 270 cars trying to stay together overwhelms a road and any traffic unfortunate enough to be in the vicinity. We had a similar effect on traffic to and from the Bay Area, albeit on a smaller scale.

That said, there are enough fools on the road without our adding to the number.
Old 04-25-2005, 09:02 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 88 e30 M3 81 e21 316
Cliff3,

I think you hit the nail square on the head on all points. Short and sweet and well said!!!

K
Old 04-25-2005, 09:12 AM

Mein Auto: www.ptgm3.com
That's why I didn't go on the drive either. I just stayed at the dealership and helped load the cars.

James
Old 04-25-2005, 09:15 AM
Banned

Mein Auto: 5/01 production 330Cic
Far be it for me to disagree with chpahoy , but thankfully my buddy Cliff is standing there as a pinata so I'll whack at him instead

I don't disagree with you guys regarding the numbers, and it probably is a lost cause with the Road Rally (although I'm not ready to give up yet).

However, as for the Bay Bimmerz caravan, there's a lot more planning and some control. For example, there definitely are people that would be more than happy to go down later. So, it certainly is within a reasonable possibility to divide the group an stagger caravans, keeping them to 40 cars or so. All the while still being organized as part of the Bay Bimmerz "event".

I suspect we may very well do something like that next year. It would be better, IMO, than having the group break up on it's own due to irritation with its unwieldiness (wow, did I just make up a word? )
Old 04-25-2005, 09:23 AM
TMS

Mein Auto: BMW
Quote:
Originally Posted by RKT BMR
Far be it for me to disagree with chpahoy , but thankfully my buddy Cliff is standing there as a pinata so I'll whack at him instead
:asshole:

Quote:
So, it certainly is within a reasonable possibility to divide the group an stagger caravans, keeping them to 40 cars or so. All the while still being organized as part of the Bay Bimmerz "event".
Agreed

Quote:
It would be better, IMO, than having the group break up on it's own due to irritation with its unwieldiness (wow, did I just make up a word? )
No: http://www.m-w.com/cgi-bin/dictionar...diness&x=0&y=0

Last edited by Cliff; 04-25-2005 at 09:28 AM.
Old 04-25-2005, 09:42 AM
Rest in peace, Coach

Mein Auto: '06 MZ4C, '09 WRX Wagon
Imagine the amount of liability Cutter Motors and the prepresentatives of Bimmerfest is under if and when there is a fatality crash from one of these guys.

Kiss Bimmerfest goodbye and Cutter Motors goodbye for sure. If you want to continue to have these type of events Jon and reps of Bimmerfest and Cutter, you need to make sure EVERYBODY that comes to these events sign a waiver basically waiving all rights to sue in event of accidental fatality. Because, it is going to happen. And even a liability waiver does not dissolve you and Cutters of all liability and responsibility...

So for those of you who said, it's only a couple of idiots in a group of hundreds, the consequences of their action is much more far reaching than you think. Imagine the amount of liability Bimmerfest (the event and the owners of this site) and Cutters Motor is under here. I don't recall them ever having any sort of waivers you have to sign.
Old 04-25-2005, 09:51 AM
Got beats?

Send a message via ICQ to roxnadz Send a message via Yahoo to roxnadz
Mein Auto: 01 540i/6, 91 535i/5
Quote:
Originally Posted by MR 325
Everyone is so high and mighty saying wow these people are dumbasses. I think the road rally went decently well, we had like 5 idiots out of hundreds of cars, not a bad ratio to me. Maybe I missed some of the stupidity sicne I was with some of the E21 guys, I don't know. But I can tell you one thing, the road rally rocked and I would sure as hell do it again.
'High and mighty?' What's high and mighty about - oh, I dunno, NOT WANTING MY CAR WRECKED? We're saying they're dumbasses because they ARE.

It's why I haven't directly participated in the rally myself. Who wants to be a ticket magnet because of those 5 (more like 50) idiots out there thinking they're invincible because they happen to own a BMW?

And yeah, these same cats are probably the ones that talk big smack to guys like chpahoy, who is genuinely a nice guy that has a responsibility to enforce the road laws? I know there are a$$holes in the CHP, but if he were one, why would he be WINNING PRIZES at bimmerfest??

There's really no reason for stupid stunts like this. And in the end, we all end up having to pay for 5 or 10 fools' negligence. Sorry, I'm not okay with that.
Old 04-25-2005, 10:28 AM
Donkeybike?

Mein Auto: HP2Sport - R1200GS - F30
Quote:
Originally Posted by The HACK
Imagine the amount of liability Cutter Motors and the prepresentatives of Bimmerfest is under if and when there is a fatality crash from one of these guys.

Kiss Bimmerfest goodbye and Cutter Motors goodbye for sure. If you want to continue to have these type of events Jon and reps of Bimmerfest and Cutter, you need to make sure EVERYBODY that comes to these events sign a waiver basically waiving all rights to sue in event of accidental fatality. Because, it is going to happen. And even a liability waiver does not dissolve you and Cutters of all liability and responsibility...

So for those of you who said, it's only a couple of idiots in a group of hundreds, the consequences of their action is much more far reaching than you think. Imagine the amount of liability Bimmerfest (the event and the owners of this site) and Cutters Motor is under here. I don't recall them ever having any sort of waivers you have to sign.
I don't think you need a liability waiver to drive on public roads. Just because someone at B'fest organizes a road rally on public roads doesn't necessitate the waiver. If this was being held on a private road/track, then yes, but last time I checked, SR-154 was a public road. I think next year I'll give the local PD and CHP offices a call just before everyone 'heads out'.
Old 04-25-2005, 10:39 AM
balla on a budget

Mein Auto: 325i, 525i (retired)
interesting, the estoril m3 guy sounds like a complete a-hole. it's sh!t like that which gives it a bad wrap. i didn't go on the road rally this year since i was on a time constraint.
Old 04-25-2005, 11:23 AM
R3VLimited.com

Mein Auto: E30, E34
Quote:
Originally Posted by SergioK
I don't think you need a liability waiver to drive on public roads. Just because someone at B'fest organizes a road rally on public roads doesn't necessitate the waiver. If this was being held on a private road/track, then yes, but last time I checked, SR-154 was a public road.
Hit the nail on the ehad as far as that goes
Old 04-25-2005, 11:24 AM

Mein Auto: 2004 M3 LSB, Infiniti I30
Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerE30
Hey what are you talking about?? He was doing crazy *** so you cut him off and he ran off the road or what?
Huh what are you talking about? All I said was it was interesting to watch him do that slide and donuts, but when he came near my car I thought uh oh this can't be good. I didn't cut or run anyone off the road. =\
Old 04-25-2005, 12:37 PM

Mein Auto: 99 ///M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottn2retro
Anybody have it on film or pics that can identify the person?

i could recognize the car if i saw it. it was the only Estoril with BBS CH's i saw saturday. have yet to see it in any pics, but i have yet to see all the pics
Old 04-25-2005, 12:38 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 535i
Anyone have a pic of the guy?....Maybe he's on here.

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=95776

BOW TO BMW

Last edited by sky; 04-25-2005 at 01:05 PM.
Old 04-25-2005, 12:43 PM
into things retro

Mein Auto: '02 M3 SMG & '08 135i
Quote:
Originally Posted by sk8ermoo
Huh what are you talking about? All I said was it was interesting to watch him do that slide and donuts, but when he came near my car I thought uh oh this can't be good. I didn't cut or run anyone off the road. =\
Has you confused with the real culprit - who will hopefully be found.
Photo gallery
Old 04-25-2005, 01:22 PM

Mein Auto: 1988 325i BMW
think it might be him
http://www.coates3.com/albums/bfrr20..._rally_018.jpg
Old 04-25-2005, 01:38 PM
into things retro

Mein Auto: '02 M3 SMG & '08 135i
Quote:
Originally Posted by timers
I don't think so - that looks like Steve Potter - one of the VPs at B&M Racing (and a great supporter of Bimmerfest). He definitely would not be doing donuts or driving dangerously on the street.

We'll probably never positively identify who it was, but I'm sure he or somebody he knows will see or hear about this thread and let him know that what he was doing was not cool - not cool at all - and he's not the kind of person we'd like to have at Bimmerfest.
Photo gallery
Old 04-25-2005, 01:51 PM
Davis? cows?...what cows?

Mein Auto: 00 323i
so the search has begun...dun dun DUNN!
Old 04-25-2005, 01:53 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 535i
Quote:
Originally Posted by timers
That car doesn't have bbs ch's.

Maybe on this page?
http://www.coates3.com/modules/gallery/bfrr2005?page=2

BOW TO BMW
Old 04-25-2005, 02:41 PM

Mein Auto: 99 ///M3
YEP

that would be him.

http://www.coates3.com/modules/galle...fest_rally_029
Old 04-25-2005, 02:44 PM
Davis? cows?...what cows?

Mein Auto: 00 323i
....and the search is over...

that was damn fast
Old 04-25-2005, 02:53 PM

Mein Auto: A highly Modded E21
All i gotta say is that Mother F***er got real close to my car, prooly cause i was the one right behind, WHAT A LOSER!!!!! Yeah look at me i can do a burn out And if you know him, please feel free to share what i just said!!!! Its one thing to that when there is no one around but another to get close to peoples cars. what a loser!

E21 LEGION
Bimmerfest: 01,02,03,04,05,06,07,08,09,10 Veteran
Old 04-25-2005, 03:09 PM

Mein Auto: 2004 M3 LSB, Infiniti I30
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottn2retro
Has you confused with the real culprit - who will hopefully be found.
Oh okay. Eh whatever what's done is done you can't go back and beat him up or something