Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > Bimmerfest 2014 > Previous Events > 2005 Events > Bimmerfest 2005: Santa Barbara, CA

Bimmerfest 2005: Santa Barbara, CA
Information, stories, and photos of the biggest BMW show in the land...

Old 04-25-2005, 01:44 PM
Admin • Owner • Enthusiast
Bimmerfest Founder

Mein Auto: E92 M3 Cp
How's this for an idea?

Next year we utilize the dealership and the fairgrounds?

Just an idea I've been kicking around....
Advertisement
Old 04-25-2005, 01:48 PM
Bimmerfest Founder

Oh yeah, and we'll get Price & Waterhouse to admin the raffle!

Old 04-25-2005, 02:24 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 330i
Jon,
Once again great event. I don't know if you were kidding, but I think it would be a great idea. People could visit two sites
Old 04-25-2005, 02:52 PM
Bimmerfest Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamsKR
Jon,
Once again great event. I don't know if you were kidding, but I think it would be a great idea. People could visit two sites
Thanks! Glad that you enjoyed it...

My question is totally serious: what do you think about expanding the capacity
as proposed?
Old 04-25-2005, 03:07 PM
balla on a budget

Mein Auto: 325i, 525i (retired)
first off jon, thanks for all your hard work! i had a great time this year!

so what were you thinking of? venders/race cars/true show cars at the dealer and everything else at the showgrounds? they're an exit apart from each other iirc?
Old 04-25-2005, 03:09 PM
Banned

Mein Auto: 5/01 production 330Cic
Much depends on how the event would be split -- what would be at the dealership, what would be at the fairgrounds.

So, stabbing in the dark such as it is, I'm initially agin it. IIRC the two locales are not really walking distance in a fat-american lazy sense, so there is just too much liklihood that people would be rallying back and forth between the two spots, and we'd have 645s doing donuts all up and down State for 5 hours

As much as I appreciate and value the event at the dealer (probably wouldn't have had the thrill of that Carerra GT to drool over at EWFG), I fear the event just simply has outgrown the space and logistics of the dealership.

The experience at EW could be improved a lot over 2004 by learning from that first experience and leveraging it in terms of the layout (vendor locations, music, etc.)

No matter where it is and how it's done, though, I'll be there!
Old 04-25-2005, 03:14 PM
Moderator, 5-Series

Mein Auto: Trek 6500 MTB
Sounds good, Jon, but it all hinges on how you plan to split things up! I fear if you don't do it uniformly, someone will feel left out or cries of segregation will be shouted out.

How are you going to be in two places at once???
Old 04-25-2005, 03:36 PM

Mein Auto: 1996 328i
I think the dealership is a great place, but parking is obviously a huge issue. Not to mention the problem of who gets to park on the lot and who doesn't. EWSG is obviously big enough, but it also costs $$$ and the 2 locations are a little bit too far apart IMHO to co-locate the event. There has got to be another venue here that would be conducive to the event and not be as pricey as EWSG. I don't know how many of you stuck around 'til Sunday, but there was a huge car show ON State St. They close the street from Gutierrez all the way up to the Arlington. I don't know if that is feasible for Bimmerfest or not.

What about SB City College. They have 2 large parking lots below the stadium that would probably hold most of the cars. It wouldn't be free, but it is right on the beach.
Old 04-25-2005, 03:57 PM
BMW EMPLOYEE

Mein Auto: E30 325IS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon
Next year we utilize the dealership and the fairgrounds?

Just an idea I've been kicking around....

I THINK IT'S A GREAT IDEA. THEN YOU DON'T HAVE PEOPLE ARGUING ABOUT CARS BEING ON THE LOT STOCK, PARKING SITUATION, OR HOW CLUTTERED STREETS ARE.

DIVIDE THE CARS BY E38,E39,E46,E60,E61,E66,E65,X3,X5,Z4,Z8,E90 AT THE FAIR GROUND BECAUSE OF THE ROOM.

ALL E36,Z3 AND OLDER AT THE DEALERSHIP.
I KNOW THEY ARN'T GONNA BE CLOSE TOGETHER BUT IT IS THE BEST IDEA YET.
THERE ARE ALWAYS GONNA BE PROBLEMS

Last edited by E30 325IS; 04-25-2005 at 04:00 PM.
Old 04-25-2005, 04:18 PM
Victory is mine!

Mein Auto: 03' 330i ZHP, 04' 325ci
I would say just holding it at the fairgrounds should be enough. Last year the parking lot was only about 70% full with a lot more space available.

I think it's a bad idea to split up the group, since the whole point is to have everyone together without any segregation. It would be bad to have the older cars on one side and newer models on another. It furthers the division.

I think the problems could be solved if the city of Santa Barbara allow us more leeway on street parking. The roads around the dealership were quite spacious, but just barred by no parking signs. If Santa Barbara is willing to give us a 7 hour window and do what the Z3 homecoming did, I think it would simply be beautiful and very streamlined.

What do you guys think.

Old 04-25-2005, 04:20 PM
e39 e39 e39

Send a message via AIM to Slvr e39
Mein Auto: Dinan Stg 1 M3 Coupe
That is a HELL of a lot of z3's....OMG
Old 04-25-2005, 04:22 PM
Victory is mine!

That was only the 1999' event too. It's grown a lot since then.
Old 04-25-2005, 04:27 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2000 Z-3
What would be good would be to set up an area at the fairgrounds where those so inclined could perform their tire eating moves in a K-rail protected area.

They could slide, spin and drift to their hearts content and get it out before the road rally.

What do ya'all think?
Old 04-25-2005, 04:35 PM
into things retro

Mein Auto: '02 M3 SMG & '08 135i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacksheep
What would be good would be to set up an area at the fairgrounds where those so inclined could perform their tire eating moves in a K-rail protected area.

They could slide, spin and drift to their hearts content and get it out before the road rally.

What do ya'all think?
I wouldn't want to encourage that activity no matter what the location.

Hey Jon, how about making an arrangement with Le Cumbre Mall to use a dedicated section of the back parking lot? It's walking distance (I think you can actually see the dealership from it) and it should be large enough for the overflow.

The mall is already getting some extra business from the 'fest and may not mind. I saw some 'festers at Baja Fresh and Panda Express (and people are already parking there anyway). You could have some of the vendors up there, etc.
Photo gallery
Old 04-25-2005, 04:47 PM

They do Farmer's Market up there every week, so they might just be open to that. The girlfriends/wives that aren't into the car thing can spend the day at the mall. I bet you could even get a deal setup with SB Trolley to shutle people back and forth. Still, if we have 700-800 cars, they still might not all fit.
Old 04-25-2005, 05:55 PM
into things retro

Mein Auto: '02 M3 SMG & '08 135i
Quote:
Originally Posted by SB_328SP
They do Farmer's Market up there every week, so they might just be open to that. The girlfriends/wives that aren't into the car thing can spend the day at the mall. I bet you could even get a deal setup with SB Trolley to shutle people back and forth. Still, if we have 700-800 cars, they still might not all fit.
Wow, didn't know that (about the farmer's market). Interesting.

I'd have to look at that back section again, but if it was the overflow from the dealership and not the total, I think it could work - may have to take the whole back section, but what the hey.

Then if all the people with Dakar Yellow (for example) wanted to park together, they could. Or the e39 crowd or Seattle 7s or what have you.
Photo gallery
Old 04-25-2005, 06:08 PM

They also have the lower lot between the mall and State St. I would bet that SB Trolley would not be too expensive to have shuttling people for 5-6 hours. My church has them shuttle people from overflow lots from 8-1 every Sunday, I can try to find out what they pay.
Old 04-25-2005, 06:23 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 330i
Good Ideas!!!!!!!!!

Jon,
I think there are some good ideas out there, but it's obvious we need to do some type of paradigm shift with respect to doing it solely at the dealership. Bottomline, is I'll suport whatever you come up with because I can only imagine the logistical nightmare it creates.

Kevin
Old 04-25-2005, 06:29 PM
black beast's master

Send a message via AIM to tommiexboi
Mein Auto: e46 2000 328i
honestly i liked last year fest at the fairgrounds... everything was there and we could all see eachothers car... the walk was way to long for some of us, parking was even more confusing

once we were out of the dealership, we never came back because it was to much of a walk back
Old 04-25-2005, 06:30 PM
Is it Trackday yet?

Mein Auto: 05 330ci 6MT
I like the idea of parking like model cars together on the lot. I think if there was a way to register your car as one that is "on display" it could maybe control the dealership lot parking deal a little better. Like sending a sticker or something to those pre-registered to allow them access, as well as an assigned spot to park.

I found a spot on the street just up from the Chevy dealer, so I didn't have any issue with parking. In fact I think I parked in the same area in '03 and '02 when I was there. Good parking karma I guess.

The side streets are kinda wide and getting some cones setup or something to allow attendees to park perpendicular to the curb rather than parallel would probably double the capacity and still allow cars to move thru. But, there are other businesses in the area as well as freeway access, so that could be a bit of an issue to work out.

Ideally, SB Auto Group should just buy up the surrounding dealerships, level them, and turn the whole area into a Bimmerfest event center.

And I also vote NFW on the "drift, burn-out, slide" area. Even at the track that type of behavior is not allowed. Personally I can't think of a single valid reason to do a burn out. Anyone?

"You drive like old people $#@%... slow and sloppy!" - George Carlin
Old 04-25-2005, 06:58 PM
Lurking around since 2005

Send a message via AIM to BMWenthusiast Send a message via MSN to BMWenthusiast
Mein Auto: E90 2006 BMW 330i
the only problem i see with teh fairgrounds is that it is probably far away and would splinter the group and thats not good, bimmerfest is "bringing the BMW community togethar" and we shouldn't split into two main groups. some other stuff was that at Bimmerfest you guys were mainly only utiliting the BMW building and the Audi side with vendors and that was the busy area. When i went to the Porsche and Benz side with no vendors it was just a couple of peopel there, you should think about putting some vendors there to increase the flow of people

as some, i parked at the mall by using Jon's map, i think that the main issue with parking was that you had a bunch of people circling the dealerhip looking for parking on the street, where an idea may have been to have some staff along the streets with signs of where to park, ex. when i went to a tournament at UCI they had cones with paper saying "parking" with an arrow, if we had a couple of cones and staff at the area directing people to the parking lot at the mall that would be great since everyone would know where to go and park, i mean you only need a couple of people doing this in order to get the traffic more steady and know where to park, just think of hte people at disneyland who do it, and i'd volunteer to help out, or call SBPD, im sure they'd help since its going to be a massive event.

Perhaps another idea utilizing SBPD is to turn the streets on both sides of the dealerhsip, for like a 7 hour period, into one way streets, im pretty sure there was a loop on those streets and crosses behind the dealer, if you turned them into a one way street, or even just the side by the BMW dealerhsip you could probably fit a lot more show cars and just have half hte street coned off and traffic only going one way through it.

Well these are all suggestions, it was a great Bimmerfest and im sure it'll be even better next time

edit: i read Kaz's post about "how it used to be" and hearing more of this large fairground, anyone have any pics of it from previous years to see the capacity and such?

Last edited by BMWenthusiast; 04-25-2005 at 07:04 PM.
Old 04-25-2005, 07:09 PM
Victory is mine!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWenthusiast
Perhaps another idea utilizing SBPD is to turn the streets on both sides of the dealerhsip, for like a 7 hour period, into one way streets, im pretty sure there was a loop on those streets and crosses behind the dealer, if you turned them into a one way street, or even just the side by the BMW dealerhsip you could probably fit a lot more show cars and just have half hte street coned off and traffic only going one way through it.
That's the exact idea I'm suggesting. We can do like the Z3's homecoming and turn the streets in front of the dealership into temporary one or narrow two-way streets. Those streets can easily fit 5 cars wide so there will be room for at least one double parked line, or a line of cars on either side of the road.
Old 04-25-2005, 09:39 PM
Lurking around since 2005

Send a message via AIM to BMWenthusiast Send a message via MSN to BMWenthusiast
Mein Auto: E90 2006 BMW 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailwind
That's the exact idea I'm suggesting. We can do like the Z3's homecoming and turn the streets in front of the dealership into temporary one or narrow two-way streets. Those streets can easily fit 5 cars wide so there will be room for at least one double parked line, or a line of cars on either side of the road.
im pretty sure the local PD would be happy to help if you gave them time to meet with them and discuss the situation, i mean they can call Santa Barbara the "home to Bimmerfest", for any of you who watch Discovery and seen teh Arlen Ness special on their new complex they ahd 10x the amount of people show up and the local PD helped because it is the home of Arlen Ness, that should be what Bimmerfest is about, the local community having a helping hand too.

edit: did a search to find some pics of the fairgrounds, since i've never been there, found this thread with tons of pictures:

http://www.pelicanparts.com/bmw/swap...2004/Page1.htm

looks pretty good, we could fit a ton of cars there, but then wouldn't have a nice facility like Santa Barbara BMW

edit 2: upon further review, the fairgrounds are freaking amazing, a lot better then the dirt we had at my old city, not sure if my new city has fairgrounds so what are the facilities like (whats that building i see in the pictures) how many cars can it fit, it looks like it has grass, is this confirmed (seriously, old fairgrounds = dirt) just details please!

Last edited by BMWenthusiast; 04-25-2005 at 09:53 PM.
Old 04-25-2005, 10:00 PM

I wasn't a Bimmer owner last year, so I wasn't there, but that looks like it was a pretty nice setup. With the cars on the grass, it kind of has that Pebble Beach feel.

Answer to the post above: You can fit a bunch of cars inside. Jon, did you have access to the inside, or just the grounds facilities?

My church does a big Halloween event there every year. Totally crazy - 5000+ people with bands, motorcycle jumps, etc. The place is definitely big enough to handle the event.

Last edited by SB_328SP; 04-25-2005 at 10:03 PM.
Old 04-25-2005, 10:03 PM
Victory is mine!

I would say ~100 can fit in the grassy and "preferred" inside parking area, where most of the show cars are. Then the rest park in the parking lot. You'll get the same segregation issue again, although not nearly as severe.

The parking lot at the fairgrounds can easily fit 600+ cars out there. I think if it is organized so everyone parks at an angle, in columns, it would make it attractive to venture out to look at the cars. Last year it just look like a normal parking lot, and the sun was blazing and no one went out there.