Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > Z Series > E36 /7 Z3 (1996-2002)

E36 /7 Z3 (1996-2002)
E36/7 Z3 roadster and coupe talk with our gurus here.

Old 04-25-2005, 07:43 PM
Im here

Send a message via AIM to 01silber
Mein Auto: 2001 Z3 3.0i
Before I blow a fortune , question

Ok long story short my seats seem to be semi tacky, more so when warm (riding around for awhile etc)
Should they be alittle tacky after 20 minutes?? with a t shirt on and leaning forward you can feel the shirt slighly pulling off the seat back
I still dont think I over conditioned them that much in the past and I have tried everything to get rid of the tacky ness
So before I blow a wad for new skins at the dealer anythoughts
this is non M leather, its like a camilian print grainey not smooth liket the Ms have
Ads by Google
Old 04-25-2005, 09:03 PM
Living on the redline

Mein Auto: a BMW killer
I'd try Leatherique first

Yesterday's history, tomorrow's a mystery, but today is a gift; that's why it's called the present

Old 04-25-2005, 09:39 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Send a message via AIM to dwm Send a message via Yahoo to dwm
Mein Auto: 2002 M roadster
Yes, Leatherique. I'm not surprised that your tackiness is back. When I saw your seats at HC last year, they were _really_ sticky. It might take a couple of real cleanings to get all that junk out that you put on in the first place.
Old 04-26-2005, 12:23 AM
Living on the redline

I hope you didn't use Lexol

Yesterday's history, tomorrow's a mystery, but today is a gift; that's why it's called the present

Old 04-26-2005, 06:09 AM

Mein Auto: E39
i assume you've tried spinneybeck?
try a mild skin cleaner like cetaphil....

Old 04-26-2005, 07:40 AM
Im here

ok another coat of leatheriqe is on while im at work, the only thing i ever used on them was the bmw crap
Im just so frustrated at them, Im not sure if this is normal or what(some people stay leather is tacky in summer) I dont know I know that dwms and rons were not but theirs is the nappa leather
I really am not in the mood to drop 1-2k for new leather
ill see how the second go around goes
Old 04-26-2005, 07:46 AM

Turnaround should weigh in this...he has a 3.0 roady too. he recently replaced the leather with M nappa....but i don't know if he was experiencing the same issues....
Old 04-26-2005, 08:32 AM

Mein Auto: Z3C, Z3R, X5
Quote:
Originally Posted by mng
same issues....
Yup. Exact same.

I've never found anybody else with the same problem tho. I can say though (sorry to be the bearer of bad news) the leatherique won't help. I tried everything, and carefully carried out the tests from .. not harsh (leather conditioners).. to cleaning products like Meguiars #39, dawn soap, etc...

The problem is, BMW used a tanning process on the Roadster (aligator pattern / basketball pebbling pattern) seats that left them with some kind of hardened finish. My guess?? To some how make them more resistant to an accidental rain shower (where as Nappa would soak the rain right up). From all the Roadsters I've seen, it sorta kinda works. They're semi water repellent. But, clearly... if the leater is exposed to certain conditioners or chemicals, this barrier breaks down.. and boy does it get nasty. The "velcro to your clothes" thing, is exactly what was happening to us. Nearly ruined several shirts. The slightly perspiration, even on a 72 degree day, and the seats would start "their thing".

Keep trying different stuff I guess. In the end, I gave up and went the recovering route. Two nappa hides from BMW, $300 each. Local reupholsterer labor $400 per seat. Your other option is new Nappa hide seat covers from BMW.

Are you sitting down?

With my 15% club discount, they're $3,200 for both seats. Then you can figure $150 to $200 in labor to put them on.

You won't be able to get the same exact sport seat pattern your roadster has now. The little semi-circle "cod piece" flap thingy on the seat. Your choices are Nappa seat covers from the Coupe 3.0i, or nappa seat covers from the M series. But.. my observations are that the M seats are just slightly different than the 3.0i seats. Besides / anyway .. humbly... the 3.0i seats are much better looking and more comfortable than the M seats (flame suit on).

My recommendation is to go custom, with a local reupholstery guy. Then you can have more design choices and color combos. We went with the black and Dream Red two tone, and kept the cod piece flap thingy.

I'll have pics in the next week or so. Waiting to detail the Roadster's paint, and take a vacation day for some driving.

'02 Z3 Coupe 3.0i [Hellröt II - Walnuß]
'03 X5 3.0i [GrauGrün - Beige]
'01 Z3 Roadster 3.0i [AlpenWeiß - TraumRöt]
Old 04-26-2005, 08:38 AM

P.S. The leather conditioner I use on Nappa is Mequiars Medallion leather care. Their top end stuff. The stuff they sell in auto stores is scary. "Medallion premium" are the key words. It has a sheen index of "1" (scale of 1 to 10, sheen to shine). In other words, it's essentially dead matte flat. .. just like new Nappa is.

In my humble opinion (ok wait.. getting the flame suit back on.. ahh.. errr... Ok), this is the only product to use. I've tried them all, on samples of new Nappa. The Meguiars Medallion product is the only one that leaves the leather like it found it; Soft, smooth, and matte flat.

If anybody wants a nearly full bottle of leatherique, for half of what it sells for, lemme know.

:-)

Old 04-26-2005, 08:58 AM

i don't condition often enough (twice a yr) to test a wide variety of products. so i stick with the folks that know my leather (spinney)

Old 04-26-2005, 10:27 AM
The Anti-Rice

Send a message via AIM to Mpire Send a message via MSN to Mpire Send a message via Yahoo to Mpire
Mein Auto: S54 M Coupe x2, M52 Z3
Have you tried the clear leatherique cleaner stuff?
1999 Estoril / Estoril Coupe

Sunroofs are for girls.
Old 04-26-2005, 10:36 AM
Im here

well goddammmit
Turnaround, thank you for your info and help, Im so pissed off right now 41k for a car that has seat covers made from the sperm sack of a cow(sticky)
I swear someone is laughing at me right now, my luck is ****
I think im going to have them redone in spinney beck
Nick: How many hides from spinney did you need for your 2 seats????
any tips for when I have the shop do them??
I need a drink
Old 04-26-2005, 12:10 PM

1 hide of Spinney would be all that you'd need. And I still have some left. are roady's seats leather in the back, too? Mine have a big plastic shield in the back. That could make a difference. Cost about the same as 2 BMW "hides"...but IIRC they net out to close to the same amount of usable leather (Andy, Jon and Bill can confirm/deny this). I'll call my guy and see if he can recommend a shop in SA....

Cool thing about Spinney is that they have SO many choices (and free samples)...different textures, waterproof, etc. crazy stuff. Then again...BMW has some cool colors in the pallette too. decisions, decisions. I'll get back to you with what i find out.
Old 04-26-2005, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01silber
I think im going to have them redone in spinney beck.

I need a drink

Silber, it'll be ok. You'll be sooo much happier with them redone. The car will look and feel much more high end. You'll love it, and be glad that you did it.

There are lots of tips and pointers. All in due time. But the best one I could give right now is.. I see that you're from Texas as well as Nick. See if you can get his upholstery guy to do the work. Big state, I know, but.. Having access to a leather upholsterer that has done the seats before is very valuable.

Call Spinneybeck today. They'll gladly send you out an entire leather sample binder.

Old 04-26-2005, 01:30 PM
The Anti-Rice

Send a message via AIM to Mpire Send a message via MSN to Mpire Send a message via Yahoo to Mpire
Mein Auto: S54 M Coupe x2, M52 Z3
Does JonM have his skins left over from when he recovered his seats?
1999 Estoril / Estoril Coupe

Sunroofs are for girls.
Old 04-26-2005, 01:52 PM

Mein Auto: 01 Mc, 08 M3, Motorrad x2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpire
Does JonM have his skins left over from when he recovered his seats?
Yes. But they are not for sale. I have a small personal stash of hides in assorted colors.

Sometimes Spinney hides come up on ebay at very good prices. There was a light gray recently. Nothing at the moment.

14 R1200RT | 09 F650GS | 08 E90 M3 | 06 M Coupe | 01 M coupe
Old 04-26-2005, 02:25 PM
Living on the redline

you hand sanded them and everything???

That usually removes any hardened finish

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurnAround
Yup. Exact same.

I've never found anybody else with the same problem tho. I can say though (sorry to be the bearer of bad news) the leatherique won't help. I tried everything, and carefully carried out the tests from .. not harsh (leather conditioners).. to cleaning products like Meguiars #39, dawn soap, etc...

The problem is, BMW used a tanning process on the Roadster (aligator pattern / basketball pebbling pattern) seats that left them with some kind of hardened finish. My guess?? To some how make them more resistant to an accidental rain shower (where as Nappa would soak the rain right up). From all the Roadsters I've seen, it sorta kinda works. They're semi water repellent. But, clearly... if the leater is exposed to certain conditioners or chemicals, this barrier breaks down.. and boy does it get nasty. The "velcro to your clothes" thing, is exactly what was happening to us. Nearly ruined several shirts. The slightly perspiration, even on a 72 degree day, and the seats would start "their thing".

Keep trying different stuff I guess. In the end, I gave up and went the recovering route. Two nappa hides from BMW, $300 each. Local reupholsterer labor $400 per seat. Your other option is new Nappa hide seat covers from BMW.

Are you sitting down?

With my 15% club discount, they're $3,200 for both seats. Then you can figure $150 to $200 in labor to put them on.

You won't be able to get the same exact sport seat pattern your roadster has now. The little semi-circle "cod piece" flap thingy on the seat. Your choices are Nappa seat covers from the Coupe 3.0i, or nappa seat covers from the M series. But.. my observations are that the M seats are just slightly different than the 3.0i seats. Besides / anyway .. humbly... the 3.0i seats are much better looking and more comfortable than the M seats (flame suit on).

My recommendation is to go custom, with a local reupholstery guy. Then you can have more design choices and color combos. We went with the black and Dream Red two tone, and kept the cod piece flap thingy.

I'll have pics in the next week or so. Waiting to detail the Roadster's paint, and take a vacation day for some driving.

Old 04-26-2005, 02:49 PM
Im here

went by a high end leather shop today to talk with them just to see whats up, they carried a leather by northeastern or something like that, the sample was very nice(anyoneheard of them bad or good)
Here is my only concern, If i get a hide on my own and something goes wrong the shop might say well its your leather your problem that is my concern
here is what I was quoted not that it matters but I saw some of the street rods and stuff and the work looks nice 1400.00 that was 2 hides and labor (i have no idea how much material was per hide)
Old 04-26-2005, 03:06 PM
Im here

Does anyone know how the knob for the electric seat adjust comes off?
just preparing
Old 04-26-2005, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Here is my only concern, If i get a hide on my own and something goes wrong the shop might say well its your leather your problem
What you do is bring this up during the process of picking the shop. It was on my check list. It wasn't the very first question I asked. Didn't want to set a bad tone. Ask some easy questions, to build a rapore. Then at some point, tell them you are supplying the leather, and, would like to know; If they make a mistake, will they not only redo the labor part on their dime, but will they pay for a new hide. It's a question that has to be asked. A little tense.. but there it is.

My guy responded quite well to it. If you get a very negative response, I would consider moving on. Or at the very least, asking to see a lot more of their finished work.. in person.

I wouldn't go with any other leather than Spinneybeck or BMW Nappa. This is one thing you can trust your bretheren Z owners on. We've all walked that part of the path for you. Done the research. Worked with the materials. Don't go down that other way. There's no point in experimenting. my .02.

Old 04-26-2005, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Does anyone know how the knob for the electric seat adjust comes off?
just preparing
As I recall, it just pulls straight off. But.. removing it isn't necessary. All that needs to be done is remove the two long arsed machine bolts that hold that whole trim piece on. It lays off to the side sort of. Just enough to expose the tie-hooks for the bottom seat cover. There's no need to disassemble the mechanicals and electricals of the seat (for the most part).

Take the seat out of the car (carefully). Remove the black plastic "clam shell" on the back of the seat (the lower two round tabs just pry off. Use a long flat blade screw driver.. behind the clam shell.. not underneath the tabs. Use the clam shell to pry them off). Once loose, push the clam shell straight up. It's attached with two clips molded into the shell.

The upholstery dude will take it from there.

There is an electrical saftey switch thingy that needs to be pryed off by them. Search on my name and you'll find a picture.

Everything else about the removal and installation of the seat covers is "standard" for an upholstery shop. Just urge them to take great care with the plastic / vinyl trim assembly on the outside. It scratches easily.

Old 04-26-2005, 03:31 PM
Im here

Turn: what did you figure out on this http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=91781
Old 04-26-2005, 03:40 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: BMW 01 M Rdstr 00 M Coupe
Leather

I was told to clean with a damp cloth and stop my habit of using any leather junk,shoot In my old car,I would slip out of the seat without a seat belt,I left the gray car alone,and it looks like new!
Old 04-26-2005, 06:36 PM
Inquiring mind

Mein Auto: Z3 2.8 BG & 5 old Volvos
What did you condition with?

What conditioner are you discussing here??? I don't want - please pardon the pun - to get into what sounds like an exspensive sticky situation.

Clearwater Beach sand
Daytona Beach sand
SC Homecoming Red Clay
Deals Gap Dust in the Wheel wells
Maggie Valley Fall leaves in the Trunk
Florida Love bugs stuck in the Grill
Islamarada/Pigeon Key crushed coral chips
Mojave Grass seeds in hardtop window
Mane from sorrel 'Leo' quarter horse, a congenital Californian
Old 04-26-2005, 07:05 PM
Living on the redline

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlM
What conditioner are you discussing here??? I don't want - please pardon the pun - to get into what sounds like an exspensive sticky situation.

bet you've been waiting a while to get that out of your system ...