Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > M Series > E46 M3 (2001-2006)

E46 M3 (2001-2006)

Old 03-15-2005, 12:49 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: X3
Ordered M3

Ordered E46 M3 today -- actually not quite an order yet as need to figure out which week, etc.

The dealership checked and determined that I could indeed order Sterling Gray metallic, but in the end I decided I did not want to spend that much money for it, so:

M3 coupe
Silver Gray metallic
Imola Red leather
Moonroof, power/heated seats with pwr width/lumbar, H-K audio, xenons.

I also seriously considered ordering black leather/cloth but after taking a hard look at it, decided to go with leather. I would prefer to sit on cloth, but was unimpressed with the appearance of the cloth and also prefer the two-tone effect with the Black & Imola Red interior.

I also spoke to the LeatherZ guys about doing red leather trim in a black interior; basically getting titan shadow and they cover all the pieces with red leather, a la Mrs. Hack's 323Ci. Pretty cool interior, in my opinion.

My opinion on SMG: It does a better job shifting that I can do and it's got some neat features, but I want to do it myself (for fun) even if I'm not as good. Plus I don't want park distance control and I don't want to pay that much more money.

Quoth LMC back when the E46 M3 was coming out: "Nope, don't want one of those; Too much power, too much money, too much fuel consumption. Not for me." Then recently I found myself obssessing over the new Porsche 911 and reconsidered the M3 as a less expensive, more utilitarian (i.e, more usable back seat) alternative.

I hope I can keep my drivers license once it gets here.
Ads by Google
Old 03-15-2005, 12:58 PM

Mein Auto: German
Quote:
Originally Posted by LMC
Quoth LMC back when the E46 M3 was coming out: "Nope, don't want one of those; Too much power, too much money, too much fuel consumption. Not for me." Then recently I found myself obssessing over the new Porsche 911 and reconsidered the M3 as a less expensive, more utilitarian (i.e, more usable back seat) alternative.

Take it from an ex-E46 M3 owner and 996 Turbo owner, you made the right decision.

Well, except the sunroof part, I hate sunroof.

The 997's are faster because they are lighter, but it's not really decernably faster in every day use. And that engine is still underwhelming to me, not to mention the car has 0 racing heritage as compared to the over 100K 911's with the proper motor.

If I were to order an M3 today, it'll be Estoril blue, alcantara two tone seats, SMG, Xenon, and ZCP.
Old 03-15-2005, 01:01 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Nick325xiT 5spd Send a message via AIM to Nick325xiT 5spd Send a message via Yahoo to Nick325xiT 5spd
Mein Auto: M3 & 323i/999 KP
I suggest a valentine 1, stealthone, and a lidatek le30
1990 325is Brilliantrot/Tan
1989 325is S50B30US Alpinweiß/Black
1989 M3 Alpinweiß/Black S50B32 (321hp, ITBs)

Old 03-15-2005, 01:02 PM
Bo-ma-win!

Send a message via Yahoo to beewang
Mein Auto: S62 E39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuka
........Well, except the sunroof part, I hate sunroof.
You need grow some hair or learn to wear a hat Boldy

Sunroof rules!!!
Old 03-15-2005, 02:55 PM
Hated by hater haters

Mein Auto: 09 MINI JCW
Quote:
Originally Posted by beewang
You need grow some hair or learn to wear a hat Boldy

Sunroof rules!!!
I ordered my 05 M3 Coupe without sunroof and am glad. I've had them on my last 2 cars (99 323i, 02 530i) and hardly ever used them. Fo me, a sunroof is an uneccessary expense for something unused that can fail later after warranty expires.
Old 03-15-2005, 03:48 PM
///Mpty pockets

Mein Auto: wankermatic
Quote:
Originally Posted by LMC
Ordered E46 M3 today --
Cool. Way to pull the trigger......I thought you had changed your mind.
Old 03-15-2005, 07:15 PM

Mein Auto: E46 M3 2005
I suggest you choose the “Delete Spoiler” option. The spoiler is non-functional and you will just look like a dork driving around with a useless appendage on the back of your car. But if you don’t delete, at least it is not as large as the ones they stick on the back of Toyotas etc.
Old 03-15-2005, 07:20 PM
///Mpty pockets

Mein Auto: wankermatic
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark07960
I suggest you choose the “Delete Spoiler” option. The spoiler is non-functional and you will just look like a dork driving around with a useless appendage on the back of your car. But if you don’t delete, at least it is not as large as the ones they stick on the back of Toyotas etc.
"appendage" ??

Are you sure you know what an e46m3 looks like?
Old 03-15-2005, 07:27 PM

Yes, and my M3 was ordered without the (ok little) appendage.

Besides being non-functional, it is also disturbing to the eye to see this little up-lift at the end of an otherwise graceful design.

Whatever was the motivation for this glued on aberration in the first place?
Old 03-15-2005, 07:30 PM
Empowered Consumer

Mein Auto: 1 - 4.20hp, 1 - 420hp
Quote:
Whatever was the motivation for this glued on aberration in the first place?
Dunno. Did you get the front bumper delete also?

Alex

My Flickr
TeamWTF?!

Old 03-15-2005, 07:32 PM

Quote:
The spoiler doesn't do much for me, either, I admit -- but since it can just be pulled off and then sold on eBay for a few bucks, I figured I'd let it come, then decide.
Old 03-15-2005, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BahnBaum
Dunno. Did you get the front bumper delete also?

Alex
Hey, the bumper is useful and necessary. No way I would delete that. But if you mean the front spoiler, I would have deleted that too if there was an option for it. It’s not the same issue as driving around looking like a dork (as is the badge of a rear spoiler) but the front spoiler requires one to be mindful of things like parking lot bumpers and curbs that can intrude on the low front spoiler.
Old 03-15-2005, 07:42 PM
Empowered Consumer

Quote:
It’s not the same issue as driving around looking like a dork (as is the badge of a rear spoiler)
Hmmm. That logic would mean that leaving the gills on would make you an uber dork.

Alex

My Flickr
TeamWTF?!

Old 03-15-2005, 07:44 PM
Empowered Consumer

Serious question: is there some functionality of the lip spoiler at, say, 150mph?

Alex

My Flickr
TeamWTF?!

Old 03-15-2005, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Hmmm. That logic would mean that leaving the gills on would make you an uber dork.

Alex
No, I don’t see the gills as being pretentious, though they are useless too. So this adornment is acceptable.
Old 03-15-2005, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Serious question: is there some functionality of the lip spoiler at, say, 150mph?

Alex
Not at all! The lip is completely useless. Even a larger spoiler would be meaningless for this shape car, which sheds large vortices by itself due to the abrupt transition at the rear.

The Porsche 911 and Audi TT can benefit with a larger spoiler because their curved rears become something of an air foil at higher speeds. So this might be considered as the case of a bad design being fixed with a spoiler.
Old 03-15-2005, 09:10 PM

Mein Auto: 05 BMW M3
Quote:
Not at all! The lip is completely useless. Even a larger spoiler would be meaningless for this shape car, which sheds large vortices by itself due to the abrupt transition at the rear.
Would you reckon that the lip spoiler might help to keep dirt off the rear of the car?
Old 03-15-2005, 09:11 PM
Empowered Consumer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgbone
Would you reckon that the lip spoiler might help to keep dirt off the rear of the car?
If that's the case, mine's broken.

Alex

My Flickr
TeamWTF?!

Old 03-15-2005, 09:14 PM

Mein Auto: 05 BMW M3
Quote:
If that's the case, mine's broken.

Alex
Mine too...But might be worse without it
Old 03-16-2005, 03:50 AM
Hated by hater haters

Mein Auto: 09 MINI JCW
Quote:
I think the lip spoiler looks just fine, and not at all dorky. It's subtle and tasteful. It's not like it's one of those big bolt-on wings on a Civic or that big-ass thing on the Subaru WRX STi.

What I don't care for are the dealer option spoilers on the standard 3 series sedan/coupe. I think they do spoil the nice lines of the car.
Old 03-16-2005, 04:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwette
I think the lip spoiler looks just fine, and not at all dorky. It's subtle and tasteful. It's not like it's one of those big bolt-on wings on a Civic or that big-ass thing on the Subaru WRX STi.

What I don't care for are the dealer option spoilers on the standard 3 series sedan/coupe. I think they do spoil the nice lines of the car.
Yes, those really are dorky. Why would anyone add something like that to a fine automobile?
Old 03-16-2005, 09:31 AM

Mein Auto: 330i (M3 in near future)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick325xiT 5spd
I suggest a valentine 1, stealthone, and a lidatek le30
Are you suggesting using all these devices simultaneously? Forgive my ignorance, but I though lidatek was just another radar detector. Did you mean a V1, Stealthone, OR a Lidatek le30? Not being sarcastic, but I just learning about all of these things and I want to make sure I'm not overlooking something.
Old 04-02-2005, 04:25 PM
Elected by grace

Mein Auto: 1 M; '11 328iT; 08 R32
Quote:
Originally Posted by LMC
Ordered E46 M3 today -- actually not quite an order yet as need to figure out which week, etc.

The dealership checked and determined that I could indeed order Sterling Gray metallic, but in the end I decided I did not want to spend that much money for it, so:

M3 coupe
Silver Gray metallic
Imola Red leather
Moonroof, power/heated seats with pwr width/lumbar, H-K audio, xenons.

I also seriously considered ordering black leather/cloth but after taking a hard look at it, decided to go with leather. I would prefer to sit on cloth, but was unimpressed with the appearance of the cloth and also prefer the two-tone effect with the Black & Imola Red interior.

I also spoke to the LeatherZ guys about doing red leather trim in a black interior; basically getting titan shadow and they cover all the pieces with red leather, a la Mrs. Hack's 323Ci. Pretty cool interior, in my opinion.

My opinion on SMG: It does a better job shifting that I can do and it's got some neat features, but I want to do it myself (for fun) even if I'm not as good. Plus I don't want park distance control and I don't want to pay that much more money.

Guess I'm late to the party, LMC, but congrats on the order!

I'll try to overlook the fact you bypassed protocol and didn't wait until I had ordered mine, ala the Touring. But then again, I'm getting worn out myself waiting for Dr. Phil to place his order, so I probably will follow the precedent you set. Besides, he is just as likely to order a buggy next, and ain't no way homey is doing that.

Good calls on the color combo and 6MT as well! I went 9 years without driving a stick, and considering the blast I'm having with 'Blood and Roses' I lament on how much fun I've passed up over that time. Admittedly I was a smuck and got caught up in the resale aspect, instead of just optioning and pulling the trigger for what I want. If/when I get my M I'm going to option it as if it will be the last new car I ever buy, and it is just as likely that it will be, so I'm going to be playing for keeps when that game hits town.

Are the Benjamin's also the reason you didn't opt for ZCP, or the 19" inch guns? Besides the possible interior leather bits any other mods planned?

And what becometh of the Touring? Is that remaining in the stable, or is it soon to go on the market, or is it trade bait?

Also, if you don't mind disclosing just wondering what kind of deal you got.
Old 04-02-2005, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyMike
Guess I'm late to the party, LMC, but congrats on the order!

I'll try to overlook the fact you bypassed protocol and didn't wait until I had ordered mine, ala the Touring. But then again, I'm getting worn out myself waiting for Dr. Phil to place his order, so I probably will follow the precedent you set. Besides, he is just as likely to order a buggy next, and ain't no way homey is doing that.

Good calls on the color combo and 6MT as well! I went 9 years without driving a stick, and considering the blast I'm having with 'Blood and Roses' I lament on how much fun I've passed up over that time. Admittedly I was a smuck and got caught up in the resale aspect, instead of just optioning and pulling the trigger for what I want. If/when I get my M I'm going to option it as if it will be the last new car I ever buy, and it is just as likely that it will be, so I'm going to be playing for keeps when that game hits town.

Are the Benjamin's also the reason you didn't opt for ZCP, or the 19" inch guns? Besides the possible interior leather bits any other mods planned?

And what becometh of the Touring? Is that remaining in the stable, or is it soon to go on the market, or is it trade bait?

Also, if you don't mind disclosing just wondering what kind of deal you got.
Appreciate letting it slide on the protocol front, Mike.

I think I've talked myself into changing the color to Sterling Gray -- expensive, but I really like the color. I've never seen an M3 in the flesh in Sterling, but have seen some photos and really like the color. Let me find the pics on roadfly (Sterling/IR) and I'll post a link.

No ZCP or 19-inch. No mods to speak of -- maybe interior trim...thinking about Myrtle as being a better (understated) wood or maybe I'll skip the wood. Dunno... Actually, speaking of 19s, wheels is the one thing I'm considering. I'm not crazy about the OE 67M wheels (18 or 19) and I'm eyeing BBS RG-Rs. There really aren't that many wheel options, given the rear offset and the RG-Rs are expensive, but... I have a couple of threads in the wheel & tire forum on the subject. Was even thinking of 17s at one point.

The deal is 1500 under list -- not great, but I caved early as I didn't want to travel to buy and I like the local (small) dealership overall. I would hope you can beat that price.

I think the 325iT will be the general-purpose truckster -- the wife is still considering this. Sell her '99 Odyssey minivan. I've actually finally really gotten used to the 325's SMG and am enjoying the car a lot. We've got practical vehicles coming out of our ears (llama-hauling big van, pickup)...the m3 will be a welcome change! I love the 325iT but I miss those lovely coupe lines from my old 330Ci. I think the E46 coupe is just a terrific classic design.

Don't wait too long to order! (When are they gonna stop making 'em really?) Actually, they do not have an allocation for me, so my "order" isn't really an order yet.

Larry
BMW CCA #115780
'14 X3 35i M sport
Old 04-02-2005, 08:37 PM

Link to Sterling Gray metallic/Imola Red leather M3 on roadfly. BBS RG-Rs in 19-inch and lowered quite a bit, I think.

http://bimmer.roadfly.org/bmw/forums...6410789-2.html
BMW CCA #115780
'14 X3 35i M sport