Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 01-10-2017, 08:45 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 BMW 335i Coupe
Grinding/rubbing noise at low speeds

Hello,

Wondering if anyone has experienced this. I am still hearing and fealing a grinding or rubbing noise from the front end suspension, brakes, etc. At low speeds and i have replaced the pads, rotors, wheel hubs and rebuilt the calipers. This has not solved the problem and it is driving me crazy! Not sure what else it could be so any help would be much appreciated.

2008 335i coupe e92/n54

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G928A using Bimmerfest mobile app_a__a2_
Advertisement
Old 01-13-2017, 02:18 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 335i Sedan
Check your tires for rubber damage, e.g. cracking/splitting, along the rim, particularly on the inside where it's not as obvious.
That's what my "driving me crazy" was.
Old 01-13-2017, 02:54 PM

Mein Auto: 330xi, 335i
Check if the protection plate (e.g. 34106780216) is rubbing against the disc. If it did you would hear rubbing noise, most noticeable when the car moves with engine off.
Old 01-24-2017, 10:20 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 BMW 335i Coupe
First off, thank you for the info!

I looked into the issue further and then finally letting the experts do their job, i found out that since I lowered my stance with coil overs recently the inside of the tires are rubbing with the coil springs. Didn't realize by dropping the car down about an inch would change everything so dramatically with the suspension. Stupid me I guess and now its just something that some wheel spacers should fix. Along with some lower control arms that are also part of the issue and need to be replaced. I went ahead and sprung for the lug bolt conversion after ordering the spacers so that should make life easier. I will update as soon as i get all the parts installed and test drive.

For the record, i didn't realize the tires were rubbing until they showed me under the lift with wheels on so don't beat me up too much. Everytime I went under to troubleshoot i had to take the wheel off to see anything and missed the obvious. Man i wish i had a damn shop with a lift!!! Stupid is as stupid does.

On another note, I had the shop look at all things "drivetrain" related since my warranty is up in about 4k miles and they found that my turbos need to be replaced. I have been having some power issues that relates so it will be awesome to get back to normal "play time".

Again thanks for all the input!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G928A using Bimmerfest mobile app

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
Today's Posts Search