Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)

E46 (1999 - 2006)
The fourth generation 3 Series (E46 chassis) was introduced in 1999 and set the standard for engineering and performance during it's years of production including being named to Car & Driver's 10 best list every one of those years! ! -- View the E46 Wiki

Old 04-27-2005, 08:33 AM
I'm the Moving Chicane

Mein Auto: E92 335i STOCK
retrofit Auto dim mirror and Bluetooth

Hi all,

My ZHP coupe is still in form of a paperwork on some desk in Germany. However my itch to make it perfect is very strong. Since I ordered Alcantara, there's no reason to get Premium Pkg. I don't feel like having BMW assit either. ThenI am not getting Bluetooth and Auto Dimming Mirror.

I did some search and found that some owners got bluetooh module added. It should be find to add the module in ZHP right? What's the price range these day? I don't get to the dealer to do it right?

Then I found some X5 owners retrofit auto dimming mirror (w/ or w/o compass). Did anyone do that on a 3?

Now, I am waiting for TomTom to release their new GPS. ho ho ho..

Thanks
Advertisement
Old 04-27-2005, 10:47 AM

Mein Auto: 330CI ZHP
hello,
I also went thise way and did not get the premium package. I was originally told that bluetooth came witht the car. However, i realized upon delivery that my salesman was wrong. No assist = no bluetooth. Thus they were willing to add it free of charge. The retrofit kit does not work with the car. I was not told why. They had to replace all kinds of stuff and it cost them $1700 to do so. I am not sure what it would have cost me, i can only assume over $2000. So you may want to get the premium package or assist to ensure you get bluetooth, otherwise you will be forced to pay a whole bunch out of pocket to get bluetooth installed in a zhp that does not have assist. It was something about the TCU and its compatibility with the retrofit kit.

-Smast
Old 04-27-2005, 11:00 AM
Test... 1, 2 ,3

Mein Auto: 2012 M3 - 2014 528i
Quote:
Originally Posted by smast
hello,
I also went thise way and did not get the premium package. I was originally told that bluetooth came witht the car. However, i realized upon delivery that my salesman was wrong. No assist = no bluetooth. Thus they were willing to add it free of charge. The retrofit kit does not work with the car. I was not told why. They had to replace all kinds of stuff and it cost them $1700 to do so. I am not sure what it would have cost me, i can only assume over $2000. So you may want to get the premium package or assist to ensure you get bluetooth, otherwise you will be forced to pay a whole bunch out of pocket to get bluetooth installed in a zhp that does not have assist. It was something about the TCU and its compatibility with the retrofit kit.

-Smast
Why the dealer wants to retrofit the whole Assist system? Why you cannot get the separate Bluetooth ULF module from them if they offered to give you a Bluetooth solution? Is this a joke?
Old 04-27-2005, 07:37 PM

no joke. i don't have assist and never will. Well all i know is the bill that i saw, that i didn't have to pay.
Old 04-27-2005, 08:14 PM
Test... 1, 2 ,3

Quote:
no joke. i don't have assist and never will. Well all i know is the bill that i saw, that i didn't have to pay.
Wow...
Old 04-27-2005, 08:46 PM

where in florida?
Old 04-28-2005, 05:55 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '67 Mustang
Both can be added to a 2005 without much work. The mirror costs about $220-$300 depending on if you want homelink or the compass option with the autodim and the bluetooth ulf plus the install kit is about $450-$475. You can install both yourself or at a dealer, but ineither is very hard. I'm planning on both mods for my 2005 convertible. Order the parts from circle bmw in NJ, they wil be the cheapest ino ur area and will guide you in the right direction.

2003 Z4 2.5i, Titanium Silver, Black top and interior, Xenons, Heated Seats, Sport Package, Premium Sound, Sirius (Fiancee's Car)
Old 04-28-2005, 07:48 AM
Test... 1, 2 ,3

Quote:
where in florida?
Ft Lauderdale...
Old 04-28-2005, 12:52 PM

Send a message via AIM to gene2598 Send a message via MSN to gene2598 Send a message via Yahoo to gene2598
Mein Auto: 2005 330CI ZHP
It is possible, I just did the BT addition.

OK, first of all, I cannot say anything about the Auto-dim mirror as I chose it as a separate option when I ordered the car.

That being said, I have a ZHP, NO ASSIST. I just (TODAY) installed the Bluetooth kit in my car. It took me about two hours and it works great! Kit cost me $575 from Advancedautovations.com. That was including shipping.

For the guy in FL whose dealer paid $2000+ to retrofit his car (Which is identical in options and setup to mine), well your dealer is an idiot. Anywho, you got away w/o paying.

For those thinking about the BT option for a 2005 330Ci ZHP:

The instructions will tell you to remove wires at Pins 7 and 8 on a connector in the trunk. I just found out that for my 2005 330CI there were NO wires at pins 7 and 8. Makes life easier.

Also, there was ALREADY a microphone in my car. I only found out after starting the install for the BT. No worries, now I have two.

Hope this helps.

2005 Mystic Blue 330Ci ZHP

Cold Weather Pkg
Moon Roof
Auto Dim Rearview Mirror
Xenon
NAV
Park Distance Control
Gray Leather
Aluminum Cube Trim
Old 04-28-2005, 12:56 PM

Send a message via AIM to gene2598 Send a message via MSN to gene2598 Send a message via Yahoo to gene2598
Circle BMW NO LONGER sells Bluetooth kits. I called the guy at the parts Dept. He said that they discontinued selling the parts because it was too much of a pain to deal with the customers "pairing" problems. Due to the different carriers and phone configurations out there, the pairing procedure can be tricky.

I can say this to anyone interested. I use a Siemens S55. My phone paired up immediately, no 'reprogramming' of the car required.

Question to all: Anyone know what I could do to allow incommng text messages. I have the menu option in the 'telephone' section of my car, but it says 'not available'. I can SMS with the phone, why not with the car?

Cold Weather Pkg
Moon Roof
Auto Dim Rearview Mirror
Xenon
NAV
Park Distance Control
Gray Leather
Aluminum Cube Trim
Old 04-28-2005, 12:58 PM

Quote:
hello,

-Smast

Retro Kit DOES work with the car. I just did it 1 hour ago. My ZHP doesn't have assist. Never did.

Cold Weather Pkg
Moon Roof
Auto Dim Rearview Mirror
Xenon
NAV
Park Distance Control
Gray Leather
Aluminum Cube Trim
Old 04-28-2005, 01:33 PM
Is it Trackday yet?

Mein Auto: 05 330ci 6MT
Anyone retrofitted the auto-dim mirror in an '05? I too ordered without premium pkg cuz I didn't want assist in my car. I decided i wouldn't use bluetooth, but I do want to retrofit the mirror, perhaps with UGDO integrated - don't need a compass as I have nav.

"You drive like old people $#@%... slow and sloppy!" - George Carlin
Old 04-28-2005, 02:41 PM

then it is confirmed, South BMW in Miami FL, are complete idiots. Like i said, i don't really care i didn't pay anything. Good luck to all who dare take on the bluetooth adventure.

-Smast
Old 05-01-2005, 06:37 PM
I'm the Moving Chicane

Mein Auto: E92 335i STOCK
Alright! Sounds like BT is a go (as long as I won't get rib off at the parts). However, anyone has more info on the dimming mirror? I don't mind it has a compass or not. I won't drive my car to "navigate" in woods.

Please more info? Part#, pic? install instruction?

Thanks!
William
Old 05-01-2005, 07:24 PM
Is it Trackday yet?

Mein Auto: 05 330ci 6MT
There is a thread here somewhere describing someone's saga of retrofitting the auto-dim to an older E46. It seemed like a bit of a job for him.

I'm wondering if the later model cars may be easier, as in perhaps the wiring is there and all we'll have to do is plug it in.

I don't have the partnumber, but I know the one with compass is about $240 from Pacific BMW. If you call them they will help you out, there are many versions of the auto-dim mirror.

"You drive like old people $#@%... slow and sloppy!" - George Carlin