Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)

E46 (1999 - 2006)
The fourth generation 3 Series (E46 chassis) was introduced in 1999 and set the standard for engineering and performance during it's years of production including being named to Car & Driver's 10 best list every one of those years! ! -- View the E46 Wiki

Old 04-27-2005, 04:38 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Send a message via Yahoo to amt7565
Mein Auto: 2005 330i
Tires on the Sports Package

So....
I don't like the seats on the Sports package of the 2005 330i. So what options do I have if I have to replace them with the other seats which come with the standard models? Any costs with that?

Another question- The tires seem to be wider on the sports package models, am I correct? Does this add to any road noise? What are the pros and cons of these tires?

Thanks.
AMT-

2013 X5 White| Base Model|
Ads by Google
Old 04-27-2005, 05:20 PM

Mein Auto: '01 325Ci
[QUOTE=amt7565]So....
I don't like the seats on the Sports package of the 2005 330i. So what options do I have if I have to replace them with the other seats which come with the standard models? Any costs with that?
[QUOTE]

you could buy the seats you want and fit them...and try to sell your current seats. that is probably pricy though. the other option which some people have had success with is to swap with someone who wants your seats...good luck!
Old 04-27-2005, 05:23 PM
ober-slacker

Send a message via AIM to WAM
Mein Auto: 325i Sport
I am sure that there are several people here who would be prepared to swap their standard seats for yours.

As for performance tires, which come fitted on the sports package models:

Pro:
Outstanding grip, therefore optimum braking and cornering.
Look great, as they tend to be a larger wheel and tire diameter

Con:
Lower profile, more susceptible to wheel damage caused by our third-rate, pot-hole strewn roads.
Wider tread, susceptible to tram-lining, again due to our third-rate, rutted roads.

As for noise, the OEM tires are usually pretty good.
Old 04-27-2005, 07:35 PM

Thanks guys-
If I get the 330i with the sports package, I would definitely want to swap the seats.

Thanks for the advise

Old 04-27-2005, 07:57 PM

One more question-
If I do swap my seats, will it effect my warrantly?

Thanks.

Old 04-28-2005, 04:20 AM
Likes Noisy Toys

Mein Auto: 2004 330Ci 6-speed
Let's not forget, re: the SP tires: If you have to deal with any winter weather, you *will* have to buyand install a set of snow tires. The summer tires are next to useless if you have to drive in snowy conditions.
Old 04-28-2005, 06:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mapman
Let's not forget, re: the SP tires: If you have to deal with any winter weather, you *will* have to buyand install a set of snow tires. The summer tires are next to useless if you have to drive in snowy conditions.
But let's say I moved from Chicago to Dallas recently. It snows about 1 day every year in Dallas. So I should be OK with the SP tires?

Old 04-28-2005, 06:08 AM
Spelling Impaired

Mein Auto: '10 Mazda3 HB
Quote:
Originally Posted by amt7565
But let's say I moved from Chicago to Dallas recently. It snows about 1 day every year in Dallas. So I should be OK with the SP tires?
You should be OK.

I lived in Oklahoma City for a couple of years with my BMW and it had those horrid OEM ContiSports mounted. I did OK in the occasional snow and ice. There was never enough to justify snow tires, or even all seasons really.
Old 04-29-2005, 04:45 AM
Likes Noisy Toys

Mein Auto: 2004 330Ci 6-speed
I think that Nate has it right. You should be okay in Dallas - just don't take any northerly-directed wintertime long distance trips without checking in with AccuWeather(tm) first!
Old 04-29-2005, 05:26 AM
BMW + twisty road = fun

Mein Auto: Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desertnate
You should be OK.

I lived in Oklahoma City for a couple of years with my BMW and it had those horrid OEM ContiSports mounted. I did OK in the occasional snow and ice. There was never enough to justify snow tires, or even all seasons really.

I agree you should be okay, from my experience the biggest weather problems (besides hail storms) in the Dallas area is ice storms and heavy rains, a performance tire with good rain weather traction would be a good choice for a tire. And during the occasional ice storm don't drive the BMW.
Old 04-29-2005, 07:04 AM

Mein Auto: X3
Quote:
One more question-
If I do swap my seats, will it effect my warrantly?
Yes, it would -- at least in theory. Anything that you add to the car, in this case seats, would not normally be warranted by BMW. The reality, however, is that if you removed a set of BMW sport seats and installed a set of BMW standard seats, there would be little evidence that the seats were not the originals.

On a sedan, one might notice a sport steering wheel or other equipment of a sport-equipped car, then wonder why not sport seats, but I think the discrepancy would likely go unnoticed.
BMW CCA #115780
'14 X3 35i M sport
Old 04-29-2005, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMC
Yes, it would -- at least in theory. Anything that you add to the car, in this case seats, would not normally be warranted by BMW. The reality, however, is that if you removed a set of BMW sport seats and installed a set of BMW standard seats, there would be little evidence that the seats were not the originals.

On a sedan, one might notice a sport steering wheel or other equipment of a sport-equipped car, then wonder why not sport seats, but I think the discrepancy would likely go unnoticed.
Thank you!
But let's say that they do notice the difference. Now if I have a problem not related to the seats, say the Engine, then would the warranty still be void as well? Or the warranty won't apply to the seats only?

Thanks again.

Old 04-29-2005, 11:13 AM
Nerd

Mein Auto: ist alt.
What color is your interior? I have the standard seats but have been pondering how to get sport seats...
Old 04-29-2005, 11:15 AM
Spelling Impaired

Mein Auto: '10 Mazda3 HB
Quote:
Thank you!
But let's say that they do notice the difference. Now if I have a problem not related to the seats, say the Engine, then would the warranty still be void as well? Or the warranty won't apply to the seats only?

Thanks again.
Swaping out the seats will not void any warranty work on the engine. From the way it was explained here and other places I have read up on this issue, the only way a warranty claim can be denied is if the mod led to the failure. So...in you case if you started to have air bag problems that were trouble shot back to the wiring harness and the pressure mat in the seat...they might deny the claim. However if say a cooling fan or window regulator blew, they would still have to replace the parts.
Old 04-29-2005, 12:29 PM

Mein Auto: X3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desertnate
...the only way a warranty claim can be denied is if the mod led to the failure.
Right. I imagine it's POSSIBLE you could get into a hassle based on an (invalid) assumption that the change led to the problem.

Imagine, for example, that you swap seats with somebody who takes delivery of their car the very same day you get yours. You drive off the lot and swap seats. A week later, you notice that the some seat stitching is coming undone -- clearly a manufacturing defect. The dealership denies your warranty claim when they notice the non-sport seats. I think you'd win that fight, although it's certainly a pain to have to fight at all.

On the other hand, you take delivery and swap seats with somebody with a 2002 330i. Two years later, you return to the dealer and gripe about the poor durability of BMW leather, which is showing marked wear on the bolsters after only "two years." The dealer replaces the seat covers under warranty.

Edit: Come to think of it, many/most parts are labeled with their date of manufacture, so if you did try to pull a fast one on the dealer in this way, you could very well be caught.

Both extreme cases. Given that no one is likely to notice in the first place, and the fairly low possibility of seat problems, I'd be very comfortable swapping with somebody.
BMW CCA #115780
'14 X3 35i M sport

Last edited by LMC; 04-29-2005 at 12:31 PM.
Old 04-29-2005, 12:34 PM
Grinning from ear to ear

Mein Auto: is way too fast
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artslinger
I agree you should be okay, from my experience the biggest weather problems (besides hail storms) in the Dallas area is ice storms and heavy rains, a performance tire with good rain weather traction would be a good choice for a tire. And during the occasional ice storm don't drive the BMW.
I'm out here in Austin. When we have the occasional icestorm, you dont' have to worry because traffic will be standing still on the highways. I'd be more worried about hail hitting your bimmer, then it's performance on the ice on the road.
Old 04-29-2005, 12:38 PM

Thanks everyone for your valuable advise.
I will never try to pull any fast ones with any dealers. I will be straight as possible if any issues should arise.

Thanks again.