Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)

E46 (1999 - 2006)
The fourth generation 3 Series (E46 chassis) was introduced in 1999 and set the standard for engineering and performance during it's years of production including being named to Car & Driver's 10 best list every one of those years! ! -- View the E46 Wiki

Old 04-30-2005, 05:35 AM

Mein Auto: BMW 328ci E46 (1999)
Slight Brake Snatching

I have a slight problem with the brakes! If i push the pedal slowly the brakes pull evenly but if i tap the pedal the briefly, the steering wheel just briefly pulls to the left but is then ok again. The cars braking is excellent but at slow speeds the snatch is far more evident..

Any ideas peeps.
Advertisement
Old 04-30-2005, 11:34 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2006 330i / 2007 X3
Yes, i have that too. I got new front control arm bushings so it's not them. It's the tie rod... the ball joint is getting warn. My steering wheel will slightly shift left for a blink of an eye and straightened up. Luckily, tie rods are super cheap, and very easy to replace. A alignment will be needed afterwards. I plan to replace then, with the rear control arms (bushing is attached to them) as well since i need to get an alignment anyways. I got my tie rods from bimmerworld, control arms are cheap there as well. Rear Control arms are easy to replace, two bolts and the whole arm/bushing comes right off.
Old 05-01-2005, 09:20 PM
bimmerfest Supporting Member

Mein Auto: 2011 535i
Ok, if it's what I'm experiencing we all have the same thing. My car only has 2900 miles on it (12/04 delivery), so I'm thinking it's normal. If I quickly stab the brake pedal, basically at any speed, when I just need to brake a bit quickly, I feel a slight, very brief pull in the steering wheel. I never feel this when braking "normally".

2014 535i Individual | Azurite Black/Amaro Brown Merino | Premium | Cold | PDC | Rear Camera | Anthracite Hdr
Prior: 2011 535i AT | Black Sapphire/Cinnamon | Premium | Heated Sts | Nav | Sirius | Anthracite Hdr & Trim
Prior: 2008 335i 6MT Sedan | Black Sapphire/Terra Leather | Premium | Cold | CA | OEM Alarm
Prior: 2005 330i 6MT | Black Sapphire/Sand Leather | Premium | Cold | UGO | OEM Alarm
Old 05-07-2005, 01:36 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 328ci E46 (1999)
Thanks for your input bluskye, i've just fitted cross drilled disks too on all corners thinking it was the fact i had worn pads etc, as it was doing it then and they needed changing. Like you my car shifts to the left just briefly. I'll check those bits out. :-)
Old 05-07-2005, 04:05 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 330i / 2007 X3
Quote:
Originally Posted by medaveo
Thanks for your input bluskye, i've just fitted cross drilled disks too on all corners thinking it was the fact i had worn pads etc, as it was doing it then and they needed changing. Like you my car shifts to the left just briefly. I'll check those bits out. :-)
It's easy to tell. Jack up a front wheel, grab the wheel 3 and 9 oclock position. If you can wiggle it side to side easily, your tie rod may be worn. Its even easier to tell if one of the wheels has more free play, the side with more free play is the culprit tie rod. You should just swap out both of them if it is.

Since you will need a alignment again, i would just go ahead and replace the rear control arms.... they come attached with bushings. Its that big rod that goes side to side from the rear wheel hub and connects to the middle of the subframe near the diff. It only takes two bolts to remove the thing and swap it out =). Again, that's just me since I like to replace worn bushings when i can.
Old 05-08-2005, 10:22 PM

Mein Auto: ...
Try bleeding the brake lines