Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > Z Series > E89 Z4 (2009 - current)

E89 Z4 (2009 - current)

Old 02-20-2017, 04:35 PM
Bimmerfest.com Founder

Mein Auto: Ti Silver 03 M3
BMW Z5 and Toyota Supra spied together

BMW Z5 Toyota Supra spied

The Z4 is due for replacement this year. The new roadster from BMW will be the Z5 and will share a platform with the Toyota Supra. From the same basis chassis BMW will build up the roadster while Toyota will build the 2 door coupe Supra. Building an extremely low volume roadster was simply too big a task for BMW to take on alone. Exactly how much of Toyota's tech will make it into the Z5 is yet to be known. Rumors of a hybrid gas and electric system have been going around for years, but BMW doesn't seem to have any trouble building their own hybrid iPerformance lineup.

The BMW and Toyota development team were testing in Sweden when the weather cleared and warmed up to a balmy 7 degrees. So what to do if you're a BMW test driver and you got your hands on the BMW Z5 prototype? Well the answer seems to be easy, open that canvas roof and enjoy the sun in your face. Sorry to BMW that we just happened to be around at the same time to capture these top down pics.

More BMW Z5 spy pics

The drop top gives us a sense of the interior layout, we'll have to wait a bit longer for interior pics as we didn't get any this time. The exterior features production lighting and shows off an integrated trunk spoiler. The front lights are still test mule elements.

We are expecting the Z5 to come with a B family four cylinder and B58 six-cylinder engines are likely when it hits the show rooms perhaps as soon as this summer.

More about BMW Z5 and Toyota Supra spied together

bmw-z5-toyota-supra-spied 1bmw-z5-toyota-supra-spied 2bmw-z5-toyota-supra-spied 3bmw-z5-toyota-supra-spied 4bmw-z5-toyota-supra-spied 5bmw-z5-toyota-supra-spied 6bmw-z5-toyota-supra-spied 7bmw-z5-toyota-supra-spied 8bmw-z5-toyota-supra-spied 9bmw-z5-toyota-supra-spied 10

Advertisement
Old 02-20-2017, 06:33 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 335xi M sport
See some similarities

I see a break in the hood on the side similar to the design of the current car. My guess is that even though its a shared platform with Toyota that BMW will make the new car changes evolutional rather than revolutional (accepting that the ragtop is all new). The BMW purchasing guys who I call on assured me that BMW is engineering the suspension and driving characteristics of the car. Only the basic structural platform is shared.

2015 335xi M sport manual Dinan Stage 2, Dinan forced air kit, Dinan coils, 405M forged wheels, PSS tires
2015 S drive 2.8 z4, triple black, tech package, Style 515 wheels
Old 02-21-2017, 01:04 PM

Mein Auto: X1
It seems like a good thing to me. Toyota may be considered an appliance company when it comes to cars, they have always been pretty serious about the Supra and their many fans would eat them alive if the car was compromised.

I suspect it will be a great platform for both.
Old 03-12-2017, 08:03 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 Z4 SdriveIS
Butt... if I want a Toyota, I'll buy a Toyota. I'm glad I found a CPO 2014 I liked. I may go back to a Mazda when it comes time to replace the Z4. Not crazy about some of the styling cues on the MX-5 RF but IMO, BMW should build BMW cars.

To each their own I guess...
Old 03-26-2017, 02:47 PM

Mein Auto:
They can keep it. It looks like a ****ing Toyota

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest
Old 03-30-2017, 12:18 PM
ZEDHEAD

Mein Auto: 2015 sDrive35is
There's something wrong with the proportions, either the driver is really short and has the seat all the way up or there is a large gap between the seats and the roll hoops, almost makes it look like a 2+2 and not a twe seater. I will wait for final judgement but it looks more likely I'll be buying my Z4 in 2018 when it comes off lease.

“Thou art to me a delicious torment.” Ralph Waldo Emerson
Old 03-31-2017, 04:32 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 535xi
Don't want.

Like was said above.. What's the deal with the space between the seats and the hoops? Looks like a 1 1/2 cab pickup truck cabin.

Sent from my LG-H820 using Bimmerfest mobile app
Old 06-02-2017, 08:40 AM

Mein Auto: 2008 135i; 2014 Z4 28i
Spoiler aside, the back end looks like a 911... similar length, similar slope (not exact as no engine to worry about), same distance from front seat to bulkhead. Waistline looks like Toyota product (too thick) and front looks like a 4-series. I'm thinking useless backseat/package shelf and something more along the lines of Q60/370Z competitor that Toyota can boost to take on a GTR.

Last edited by seaice; 06-02-2017 at 08:42 AM.
Old 06-02-2017, 09:48 AM

Mein Auto: BMW Z4 SDRIVE35IS
If the new z has front wheel drive, i am off to porsche land for a boxter

See More Related BMW Stories

Tags
bmw news, bmw toyota joint venture, bmw toyota z5, bmw z5, toyota supra, z5 forum, z5post

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > Z Series > E89 Z4 (2009 - current)
Today's Posts Search