DIY VIDEO - How to install a rear diffuser on 2 Series - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 1 Series & 2 Series > F22 / F23 2 Series (2014 - Current)

F22 / F23 2 Series (2014 - Current)
The 2 Series coupe is the replacement for the E82/E88 1 series coupe. Production starts in November 2013 on the 228i (N20) and M235i (N55) coupes. Look for them in dealerships in February 2014. The convertible F23 2 series will follow in the fall of 2014.

Old 02-24-2017, 05:17 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 M235i
DIY VIDEO - How to install a rear diffuser on 2 Series

Call me indecisive if you wish. Itís been 4 months now that Iíve been changing my mind almost daily about how to hook up the back of the M235i. I originally had my heart set on a Quad-Tip setup and researched as far as calculating exactly what tips would fit, exactly where the stock tail pipes would need to be cut, which exhaust shop to go to, etc. I was just about to pull the trigger, but backed out because I didnít want the car to look like an M2 imposer.

I settled on BMS Exhaust tips which you can read about in my previous post here. They looked fantastic, but I still needed to choose a suitable diffuser.
Next I looked at the AutoPlus design, but they only accepted direct deposit and continued to stall, quoting lead times up to 6 months. Finally I set my heart on a 3D Design twin tip diffuser. I investigated only to find they wanted an extra $1000 ON TOP of the already high cost of the part. This was a cost I just couldnít justify for a non functional part. He heart sank as I began to investigate replica parts. I came across a manufacturer on Ebay which had loads of positive feedback, and what looked to be a quality product with a very similar carbon weave to the genuine M-Performance lip spoiler that was already on the car.

At $590 delivered, I decided to give it a shot.
You can find the diffuser I ordered here.
To my amazement, the part arrived in just 4 days and incredibly, was packaged in a wooden box to protect it during shipping. The impressiveness didnít end there. The quality and fitment of the product was darn near perfect, and the carbon matches the M-Performance boot lip to perfection. I couldnít be happier!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-24-2017, 01:06 PM

Mein Auto: M235i
Great job,Mate.I have to look into this.I also love those Tips.
Old 02-24-2017, 03:35 PM

Thanks. Glad you found it useful.

Here's my install video for the tips...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-25-2017, 07:39 AM
M235****ee

Mein Auto: 2016 M235iX Cabriolet
Looks great! Maybe I'm going blind but couldn't see the source manufacturer in your post. Could you let me know. I'm the same way, can't see spending thousands on a non functional part.
thanks
Old 02-25-2017, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cumberlandjames View Post
Looks great! Maybe I'm going blind but couldn't see the source manufacturer in your post. Could you let me know. I'm the same way, can't see spending thousands on a non functional part.
thanks
Hey mate. URL is in the description on YouTube.

On my phone right now so can't copy it easily because r will link here in the morning.
Old 02-25-2017, 03:24 PM
Waiting not so patiently

Mein Auto: M240ix
This is the link from the video: http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Carbon-Fi...item489254c1d0

It looks just like this one on US ebay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Carbon-Fiber...lXwSve&vxp=mtr

Last edited by norvegicus; 02-25-2017 at 03:30 PM.
Old 02-25-2017, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by norvegicus View Post
This is the link from the video: http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Carbon-Fi...item489254c1d0

It looks just like this one on US ebay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Carbon-Fiber...lXwSve&vxp=mtr
Thanks for that. Couldn't get the links to copy on my phone last night!
Old 02-27-2017, 05:27 PM

Mein Auto: 2017 BMW M240i
Great job !!
Thanx

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest mobile app
Old 06-12-2017, 07:18 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: Toyota Prius
Another nice video!
Is the quality of their carbon fiber good? I wouldn't know how to tell genuine carbon fiber from plastic. Can you tell?
Old 06-12-2017, 07:19 PM

The clear coat went yellow after a day in the sun. They're assuring me it was a bad batch and are sending me a replacement. Will report back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-11-2017, 01:51 PM

Ok so 4 months later Iíd better update. Thy lied to me about sending a replacement. Along with about 5 other people that I know who purchased this item on my recommendation. In the end I o lot managed to get a partial refund through eBay.

I polished the clear coat back and coated it with ceramic protection, but the same thing happened again with the coating going yellow after less than an hour in the sun.

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest
Old 11-12-2017, 06:26 AM
M235****ee

Mein Auto: 2016 M235iX Cabriolet
Diffuser Quality and Ebay Support

Thanks for the update. We all appreciate the feedback to prevent us from wasting our money and entering into what must be a frustrating process. So much for the EBAY promise of money back in 48 hours. Why did they not refund the entire amount?
Was the piece able to be painted say body colour and black so it wasn't a total loss? Although if you have to go though the process of paining it then you're incurring additional expense.
Old 11-12-2017, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cumberlandjames View Post
Thanks for the update. We all appreciate the feedback to prevent us from wasting our money and entering into what must be a frustrating process. So much for the EBAY promise of money back in 48 hours. Why did they not refund the entire amount?
Was the piece able to be painted say body colour and black so it wasn't a total loss? Although if you have to go though the process of paining it then you're incurring additional expense.
The seller continued to promise a free replacement which never arrived through the paypal buyer protection system. Which kept the ball rolling as far as Paypal was concerned right up until their cutof (3 months from memory). The only option I had then was to request a partial refund.

They knew exactly what they were doing.

I haven't done anything about it yet, but will likely wrap the part with gloss black when I get around to it.

See More Related BMW Stories

Tags
carbon, diffuser, diy, guide, how to, install, m235i, m240i

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 1 Series & 2 Series > F22 / F23 2 Series (2014 - Current)
Today's Posts Search