Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)

E46 (1999 - 2006)
The fourth generation 3 Series (E46 chassis) was introduced in 1999 and set the standard for engineering and performance during it's years of production including being named to Car & Driver's 10 best list every one of those years! ! -- View the E46 Wiki

Old 05-04-2005, 10:28 PM
There and back again

Mein Auto: 2003 325xiT, 2006 Atom
Quote:
Originally Posted by icemanjs4
The Nav system works great 99% of the time. What frustrates me to no end is that my house doesn't exist. Or rather it doesn't like to navigate down the main road that leads to my neighborhood. In fact on the map, you can't even see a line for the road. It detects the road name just fine. But if I try to navigate my way home, it has me taking all sorts of back streets in the neighborhood as opposed to taking the one main street that leads right to my house.
Are you running the latest map (2005-2) and software (4-1/50)? If so, fill out an error report here and wait for next year's map.
Old 05-05-2005, 12:34 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 3x330,AMV8,996GT2
Weren't we denied some Route Magnet option. I WANT ROUTE MAGNET.
Old 05-05-2005, 07:17 AM

Mein Auto: 2001 330i
What is the Route Magnet Option? For one thing, I'm glad my system takes me home when I need it. although according to the disk, my house is on the other side of the street. Ah.. that I certainly can live with. Does anyone know what the latest firmware version for the MKIII system is? I think mine says, 3-1-63.
Old 05-05-2005, 07:48 AM
Ubergeek

Send a message via AIM to KrisL Send a message via Yahoo to KrisL
Mein Auto: 330i ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff330i
What is the Route Magnet Option? For one thing, I'm glad my system takes me home when I need it. although according to the disk, my house is on the other side of the street. Ah.. that I certainly can live with. Does anyone know what the latest firmware version for the MKIII system is? I think mine says, 3-1-63.

I believe the same firmware is used for both Mk3 and Mk4 systems... so what Terry said ^^
Old 05-05-2005, 08:08 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 X1 x28i MSport
Usually the problem is the underlying map....

The majority of these systems, AFAIK, use Navteq maps. I just tried the same address on my Treo 650 loaded with a program called Navcard (since my E46 doesn't have nav at all) and I got two choices, both marked Oyster Bay--and they are two distinct locations on the map. On my system, I would have no way of knowing which one is correct--but the point is, the problem is really in the map, not in your nav system! I think for all of these systems, you have to take the address location with a grain of salt.

David

P.S. Since I'm moving to Commack from Florida in a few months, I'm going to have to learn my way around.

Last edited by dgkfl; 05-05-2005 at 08:10 AM. Reason: P.S.
Old 05-05-2005, 10:37 AM

Hey, welcome to the island and best of luck in Commack. I guarentee that you will be using your nav way more up here not only because it may be new to you but just because it's a very crowded place and it comes in handy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgkfl
The majority of these systems, AFAIK, use Navteq maps. I just tried the same address on my Treo 650 loaded with a program called Navcard (since my E46 doesn't have nav at all) and I got two choices, both marked Oyster Bay--and they are two distinct locations on the map. On my system, I would have no way of knowing which one is correct--but the point is, the problem is really in the map, not in your nav system! I think for all of these systems, you have to take the address location with a grain of salt.

David

P.S. Since I'm moving to Commack from Florida in a few months, I'm going to have to learn my way around.
Old 05-05-2005, 12:44 PM

Mein Auto: '14 535ix
Actually, I had a similar experience - I was looking for street XXX in a town of YYY. So I select YYY town, and then go to select a street - XXX is not there. After trying to approximate the address while driving (and I don't know the area), on 2nd attempt I find street XXX listed under "Township of YYY". Why is there separate town YYY and "Township of YYY" is beyong me - except to make my life difficult.

The other beef I have with the Nav is that it's getting confused (de-calibrated?) every now and again, and is placing me at a location one block away from where I am actually. Needless to say in those cases the instructions are all wrong. Then for some mysterious reason a day later it is precise again. Go figure.

Don't get me wrong - I'd go for Nav over no Nav anytime. But it's frustrating at times.
Old 05-05-2005, 01:28 PM

Exactly my feelings regarding your first remark.

Follow this: I always start with the smaller town and if I can't get the street to come up, then I move to the township because I know that the major street is on the damn disk. As my second attempt, when I put in the township, it finds the exact street I was looking for about 99% of the time!

Since it didn't have street XXX listed when I put in the smaller town, it makes sense to figure that when street XXX comes up within the township, that is the street you are looking for in the first place and that it's just not listed under that smaller town on the disk. Why that particular street IS listed under the larger township and NOT the smaller town is really beyond me. Now, since you couldn't find street XXX in the smaller town, and you did in the larger township, you run the risk of not being able to know whether there are multiple street XXX's within this township and it will bring you to whichever one it defaults to.

My theory is not that the disk does contain the streets. I've proven that it does. It's the way the data is organized on the disk that is the problem. Some streets are listed under smaller towns within townships and other streets are only recognized by entering the larger townships. That's the problem and it keeps screwing me from time to time where I live. But I still love the thing.... ugh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by st_o_p
Actually, I had a similar experience - I was looking for street XXX in a town of YYY. So I select YYY town, and then go to select a street - XXX is not there. After trying to approximate the address while driving (and I don't know the area), on 2nd attempt I find street XXX listed under "Township of YYY". Why is there separate town YYY and "Township of YYY" is beyong me - except to make my life difficult.

The other beef I have with the Nav is that it's getting confused (de-calibrated?) every now and again, and is placing me at a location one block away from where I am actually. Needless to say in those cases the instructions are all wrong. Then for some mysterious reason a day later it is precise again. Go figure.

Don't get me wrong - I'd go for Nav over no Nav anytime. But it's frustrating at times.

Last edited by Cliff330i; 05-06-2005 at 11:25 AM.
Old 05-05-2005, 01:33 PM

Mein Auto: e46 M3
Quote:
It's the way the data is organized on the disk that is the problem. Some streets are listed under smaller towns within townships and other streets are only recognized by entering the larger townships. That's the problem and it keeps screwing me from time to time where I live. But I still love the thing.... ugh.
That's it, "It's the data". That's why there are updates. And you should follow thru on that update site to tell them where the mistake is so they can fix it. Though in this case it seems to be fixed on a later, >2001 CD which is what you have.
Old 05-05-2005, 05:06 PM

Yes, a new disk could help. Maybe I'm reading your post incorrectly but it's not fixed on my CD. I have an early 2002 CD and it's incorrect. I will let them know that the street name should be under the correct town and that's why it doesn't come up when I type in town XXX. Most of my issues appear to be the organization of data on the disk. I am curious to know where Navteq originally get their maps from. I have Hagstrom maps from the 1980's that are more precise than Navteq's new maps. Most of the issues I have are with streets that have existed for decades and have had the same names in the same towns. Maybe it's sloppy work on their part. Whos knows...

Quote:
Originally Posted by e36M3r
That's it, "It's the data". That's why there are updates. And you should follow thru on that update site to tell them where the mistake is so they can fix it. Though in this case it seems to be fixed on a later, >2001 CD which is what you have.

Last edited by Cliff330i; 05-05-2005 at 05:18 PM.
Old 05-05-2005, 07:01 PM

Mein Auto: e46 M3
Quote:
Whos knows...
Yep, but if you don't have the latest update, they will tell you to get it and then report it if it is not there. Same with any software, you can't really report bugs on old versions, perhaps it's fixed! And in this case we already have evidence it was fixed as it worked when Kris tried it.

I'll definitely be trying it myself in a couple of weeks, as soon as my car gets here.
Old 05-05-2005, 07:25 PM

Very cool. Enjoy and best of luck with your car. Report back to us your impressions. Thanks for staying on the thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by e36M3r
Yep, but if you don't have the latest update, they will tell you to get it and then report it if it is not there. Same with any software, you can't really report bugs on old versions, perhaps it's fixed! And in this case we already have evidence it was fixed as it worked when Kris tried it.

I'll definitely be trying it myself in a couple of weeks, as soon as my car gets here.
Old 05-05-2005, 09:59 PM
Grinning from ear to ear

Mein Auto: is way too fast
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry Kennedy
Are you running the latest map (2005-2) and software (4-1/50)? If so, fill out an error report here and wait for next year's map.
Yup. It's a 2005 BMW. I just picked it up in Europe in February. Granted my house is just one year old. But the main street has been there for years, and it still refuses to acknowledge it's there on the map.
Old 05-05-2005, 11:55 PM
There and back again

Mein Auto: 2003 325xiT, 2006 Atom
Quote:
Originally Posted by icemanjs4
Yup. It's a 2005 BMW. I just picked it up in Europe in February. Granted my house is just one year old. But the main street has been there for years, and it still refuses to acknowledge it's there on the map.
Well, both the 2005-2 disc and 4-1/50 software came out after February (map in April, not sure about the software).
Old 05-06-2005, 05:03 AM
Color blind photographer

Mein Auto: 2010 X3 MT Space Gray
Quote:
Rather, the computer keeps screwing me over by bringing me to the wrong places. This happens about 40% of the time. I can guarantee it is calabrated and working properly too. For example, 79 Berry Hill Road, Syosset, NY.
You are not alone. I no longer trust it. Way too many times I've tried using it and its tried taking me on an absolutely wrong direction. I won't list the other issues about destination entry and user interface.