Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > Everything Else > General Automotive Forum

General Automotive Forum
All non-BMW car talk goes here...

Old 05-04-2005, 05:44 PM
le Boss

Mein Auto: BMW R1200RT & X3
Cheap DIY motorcycle bag

For those of you that ride motorcycles and are looking for a cheap DIY tailbag, I thought I'd share my solution.

First, I found a decent little duffel bag at Walmart. I then picked up some little bungee-balls and some 'beaners. All told this cost $15.

I then had the wife sew a peice of fabric across the back. This fabric slides over the passenger backrest and keeps the bag in place.

I then put the 'beaners through some well placed die down points.

This is what the duffel looks like with these few mods.

I tied knots in the bungee-balls to get the right length and hook them onto the 'beaners.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bike bag 004.jpg
Views:	2162
Size:	78.1 KB
ID:	49705   Click image for larger version

Name:	bike bag 005.jpg
Views:	2013
Size:	91.6 KB
ID:	49706   Click image for larger version

Name:	bike bag 006.jpg
Views:	2001
Size:	92.4 KB
ID:	49707   Click image for larger version

Name:	bike bag 007.jpg
Views:	1969
Size:	81.4 KB
ID:	49708   Click image for larger version

Name:	bike bag 008.jpg
Views:	1952
Size:	74.6 KB
ID:	49709  

Old 05-04-2005, 05:48 PM
le Boss

When I'm ready to put it on the bike I take the bungee-balls off and slid them through the luggage rack openings.

I slide the rear backrest between the bag and added fabric and attach the bungee-balls to the 'beaners.

And this is what it looks like when it's all attached. All told this takes less than a minute to secure to the bike and it holds a surprissing amount of stuff that can easily be taken into the office, gym, etc.

If you have any questions, just ask.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bike bag 003.jpg
Views:	2628
Size:	144.4 KB
ID:	49710   Click image for larger version

Name:	bike bag 002.jpg
Views:	2172
Size:	120.8 KB
ID:	49711   Click image for larger version

Name:	bike bag 001.jpg
Views:	1979
Size:	119.2 KB
ID:	49712  
Old 05-04-2005, 08:06 PM
Ich bin ein Bimmerer

Mein Auto: 04 ZHP/4
That's pretty damn good ingenuity, and it appears to match your bike (and avatar) pretty well. In fact, if you squint, the top pic looks kinda like Optimus.

I'm curious if they make a bungee net for that model bike that may fit completely over the top of it, smashing it down more when empty. Oh, and is the bag fairly weather resistant, or are you gonna treat it? Great job, though! Looks great, and probably adds a lot of function to some dead space for you.
Old 05-05-2005, 03:51 AM
Happy Trails!

Mein Auto: 330xi
That is a nice setup!

I usually just use a waterproof courier bag when I ride to work. If I need more space I can put the side bags on. However when I've travelled, I have a "dive bag" that I bungee to the back for extra space. It's waterproof (natch) but not nearly as trick as your setup.

04 BMW 330xi 6spd w/Premium,Sport,Winter & Xenon (Sold, sniff)
02 BMW K1200RS moto
06 Pontiac GTO 6MT

RIP '99 BMW 528iT
Old 05-05-2005, 06:18 AM
le Boss

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSPDiver
That's pretty damn good ingenuity, and it appears to match your bike (and avatar) pretty well. In fact, if you squint, the top pic looks kinda like Optimus.

I'm curious if they make a bungee net for that model bike that may fit completely over the top of it, smashing it down more when empty. Oh, and is the bag fairly weather resistant, or are you gonna treat it? Great job, though! Looks great, and probably adds a lot of function to some dead space for you.
They do make some bungee net's and other things, but the $$$ was too high in my opinion. I new I could make this and that it'd be cheap. I use it as my primary bag because it doesn't look out of place carrying it around to the office or whatnot. My tank bag was a bit of a pain to mount and remove all the time and it was a pain to gas-up, plus it was scratching the crap outta my tank. The bag is weather resistant, but I keep stuff in Ziploc bags if I'm worried about it. And it's really nice because I can just flip the bag around when the wife wants to ride. The bag just sits on the luggage rack and attaches in the same exact manor.